Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else experienced restlessness as an IBS symptom? When I was really sick, for the first time, last spring, the only thing that seemed to calm my belly was walking. I couldn't eat sitting still, I was so nauseated, but I could eat a little while walking at a brisk pace. Now I am having trouble again, but my gut feels OK while I walk. As soon as I stop, it feels achy and tense again. I don't know; maybe it's just my hyperactive personality!!

·
Registered
147 Posts
I don't know if it causes being restless but I as well notice when I walk (not during eating something though) that pain goes away, somehow it seems like my bowels wake up and start working then.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I also notice that my bowels work better when I exercise or walk. I sometimes have periods where I feel like I have to go very badly, but nothing happens no matter how many times I try. If I take a brisk walk, as soon as I am done, I am able to go. I have now been walking every morning when I get up and most evenings after work and the bowels have been working much better.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Exercise causes the digestive system to slow down, probably to conserve the energy for the newly working muscles. This is why exercise is recommended to IBS sufferers. That and it produces natural happy hormones that de-stress and further relax you. So exercise is a drug-free way to help your symptoms a bit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.