Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently was told by a friend about WelChol, a drug that his doc prescribed for his IBS (which incidentally started after the removal of his gall bladder). He says that it has changed his life and he no longer suffers from "d". Anyone familiar with it??

·
Registered
532 Posts
Sounds similar to Questran... Here you go..BRAND NAME(S):WelcholView images View ImagesWARNING:USAGE:This medication is used alone or in combination with another medication to treat high cholesterol levels in the blood (primary hypercholesterolemia). It is recommended that this medication be used along with an exercise program and a low- cholesterol, low-fat diet.Reducing cholesterol helps prevent stroke and heart attacks.HOW TO USETake this medication by mouth, with plenty of water, along with a meal. This drug is usually taken once or twice daily. Your dosage is based on your condition and response to therapy.It may take a few weeks before the full effects of this medication are noticed.Learn moreSIDE EFFECTS:Constipation, nausea, diarrhea, gas, heartburn, or headache may occur. If these effects persist or worsen, notify your doctor.Remember that your doctor has prescribed this medication because the benefit to you is greater than the risk of side effects. Many people using this medication do not have serious side effects.Tell your doctor immediately if you have any of these serious side effects: muscle pain, unusual weakness, stomach pain.If you notice other effects not listed above, contact your doctor or pharmacist.Learn morePRECAUTIONS:Tell your doctor your medical history, especially of: any allergies, bowel problems (obstructions), high fat levels in the blood (triglycerides greater than 300mg/dl), bleeding problems, difficulty swallowing, stomach problems (e.g., surgery, motility disorders).This medication should be used only when clearly needed during pregnancy. Discuss the risks and benefits with your doctor.It is not known whether this drug passes into breast milk. Because of the potential risk to the infant, breast-feeding while using this drug is not recommended. Consult your doctor before breast-feeding

·
Registered
21 Posts
I tried Welchol for IBS-D. It really did not help me at all. I know others have had better luck, but it was really making me have bad gas and no real improvement of D symptoms. Best of luck to you. Tom

·
Registered
109 Posts
I take WelChol now and have been since December and for me personally it has helped my IBS-D.. My stools are more formed and brown in color.I absolutely love WelChol.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts