Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, i have had a range of problems with my stomach for a couple of years, nothing major and for a long time i just ignored it and put it off as 'one of those things'.About a year ago, i started getting loose movements and would take loperamide for this, i took them as recommended, starting with two and this would usually clear it up no problem.After a while, the loperamide started to make me constipated. Around october last year i was alternating between constipation and loose stools, but was predominantly constpated. When i did get a loose moevement, i continued to use loperamide even though i knew it would block me up for a good few days. When i would finally go to the toilet, any time between 3 and sometimes 10 days later, obviously it would be painful and difficult to 'go' and i noticed i was bleeding. not much, but i decided to get it checked out. I'd been to the doctor before about my symptoms and was diagnosed with ibs, and when i went about teh bleeding it was deicded that i should have a colonoscopy, which i had on the 5th of january this year. I am still waiting for the results at my outpatients appointment, which is on the 17th.About a week ago i was constipated, and i noticed a pain or discomfort in my lower rectum area, sort of near 'exit' (sorry to be so graphic) and this was here after finally going to the toilet, until some time the next day. I bled when i 'went' also. I am now wondering, maybe is this internal hemmarhoids? When i have been constipated for a few days, i usually pass a very hard movement, and have a sort of 'unfinished business' feeling as well as this sore pain type discomfort, and then a couple of hours later i have to 'finish the job' and this is usually much less difficult to pass.Sorry that this has been so long, i just wanted to know if any one else can relate to my experience and maybe offer some advice/support while i am waiting for my appointment :(Thanks for reading

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
I know the diarrhea/loose stools is usually more distressing, but when people alternate back and forth usually preventing the constipation is key to stopping the cycle rather than trying to stop the diarrhea.You may be using too much loperamide and a smaller dose would help without the constipation. If you can I'd stop taking things for a week and see where your usual is. If you are still tending to be too loose you might need to use a milder antidiarrheal like Pepto Bismol or look at the Calcium Carbonate threads in the diarrhea section.If you are fairly normal you might also see if soluble fiber supplements help keep things on a more even keel. They tend to normalize everything to the middle (not just loosen stools like a laxative).Loose stools/diarrhea is the body's way of trying to flush out the constipation so doing things that constipate you for several days will set you up for the next round of diarrhea. Constipated stools will bother internal hemorrhoids and that is probably what is going on with the bleeding, but good you had that checked out.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.