Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, This is my first vist.I live in the UK and have been on Clomipramine for years. Amoung the side affects was loss of sensation in the genital region - not completely but highly reduced. Climaxing was next to impossible.? Has anyone else had this problem? I read on the web that Wellbutrin works well to stop the IBS-D but does not have this horrible side affect.I'm now taking 150mg in the morning and all seems good in the IBS-D area and IT'S GREAT to be feeling things down there again.Wellbutrin is not registered foe IBS use in the UK so information about it is hard to come by. Can any chaps out there who have exprerience, offer any advice or simply tell me how it works for you.Many thanksterry

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have suffered from IBS for about 15 years. My symptoms are frequent daily D. I was sure there was no cure or effective treatment that my body would tollerate. Then I asked my family doctor for some Wellbutrin to help me with what I call a very low grade slight depression and strong social anxiety. Within 24 hours of taking the first dose it was like light flooded into my soul. My mood was greatly improved and my anxiety level decreased (though not eliminated). As time went by I noticed that the number of bowel movements decreased from 5 to 7 times a day of urgent D to twice a day of semi normal bowel movements in the morning. It took about 9 months of Wellbutrin 150xl per day but finally I can say my IBS is under control. I know the improvement is from the Wellbutrin because I had to stop it recently and the IBS came back with a fury. I will start back on the Wellbutrin soon because it works. FYI I experimented with different generic brands of Wellbutrin and the one that worked best for me was PAR 150xl. Remember it will take a few month to work but it will.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have also had success with Wellbutrin...and I've tried them all:

Bentyl, Lomotil, Cantil, Immodium, Elavil, Lotronex, Codeine, Opium, Questran, Motofen, NuLev, Lyrica, Calcium, Valium, Xanax, Vicodine, Hydrocodone (I have a very understanding doctor). Some have helped a little (Bentyl), some have helped a lot (Motofen), some have not helped at all (opiuim, believe it or not!). But Wellbutrin was the most surprising. Needless to say, the struggles we all have to find the regime that works best for each of us is stressful at best. I was sinking into depression. (Not to be confused with melancholia - which I also have, but I enjoy - I cry at movies; I even cry hearing a beautiful piece of sad music. So I was prescribed Wellbutrin. Within a day, my spirits were lifted and then I noticed that my abdominal problems were getting much better. Then I read that constipation was a side effect. GREAT!

Good luck to you, Terry, in your search.

-Scott

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.