Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Hi, I learned from a friend that bottle-feed a baby may make the baby constipated, but not sure if there's any study done on bottle feeding and IBS later in life.

·
Registered
162 Posts
i was brestfed, then moved to bottle over time
same with my bro, he has diabetes, and coeliac..ive been tested fo coeliac came negative, but something seems to agrivate me and its just behind my belly button atleast 3 times a day and gives me the feeling that i need the loo...

·
Registered
293 Posts
I was breastfed but kep throwing the milk back up and had terrible colic to the Dr put me on soya milk as a baby

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have wondered about this too.A little while ago I started taking coconut oil. My digestion had collapsed and although by following the Specific Carbohydrate diet it had recovered to a certain extent, I still had issues with some foods, like meat. After starting the oil my digestion picked up considerably.It turns out that the coconut oil is full of medium-chain triglycerides - the same fatty acids that are found in breast milk. In fact, it is one of the few sources of these acids.Whilst I believe that MCTs are now added to formulas, when I was a baby they weren't, and were mostly based on cows milk. that made me wonder if perhaps I had always been deficient in MCTs.The other thing with MCTs is that the Capric, Caprylic, Lauric and Myristic acids are all powerful anti-bacterial, fungal and virals, giving the baby extra protection. Without those my gut would have been more vulnerable to imbalance and overgrowth. Add into the mix the regular doses of antibiotics I was given as a child and it is no wonder that my digestive and immune systems are in such a mess!Perhaps I was more vulnerable as a child to all the cough, colds and chest infections because I hadn't had the protection of the MCTs to start with? Back then of course, they also handed out ABs for every cough, cold and sniffle regardless of whether they were bacterial or viral.I remember reading somewhere (in one of Bruce Fife's books I think) when I was researching coconut oil, about a woman who took her baby to the doctor because it was very fretful and just wasn't thriving. She was breastfeeding. This wise man told her to go home and start eating and using coconut oil. Within two months the baby had put on more weight than in the previous 5 months and was contended and happy. I also came into contact on a Celiac forum, a woman whose 9th baby (yes 9th!) wasn't thriving. She said that each successive baby seemed to be less robust than the previous one. I wish I had known about the coconut oil back then. I suspect that with each pregnancy the woman's 'bank' of MCTs diminishes and each baby gets a weaker 'dose', or none at all.Although they may now contain coconut oil, the biggest problem with formulas these days is the sugars in them. I was watching a lecture on Youtube recently by Robert Lustig, an eminent pediatrician, and he was saying that he couldn't understand why he was getting 6-month-old OBESE babies in his clinic! When he started researching, he discovered that formulas were having glucose/fructose syrup (otherwise known as high-fructose corn syrup) added to them. It is an unnatural source of sugar. It is highly processed and is rendered into a form that is as damaging to the body as excessive alcohol, only without the brain effects! It is worth watching if you are interested. You should be able to pick it up if you put his name in.PS. I love coconut oil. I use it in cooking, as a spread, in my drinks, I even eat it off the spoon. It also makes an excellent skin moisturiser and deodorant. I rub a little under my arms after washing and drying them - within a minute or so it has soaked in and it doesn't stain my clothes either. It makes my skin soft and smells good too. It is also very healing. When I badly burned my hand, after soaking it in cold water for some hours, I started slathering coconut oil on the burn. Within a few weeks you would not have known I had burnt it!

·
Registered
312 Posts
i was breast fed and am very grateful for it.i am very grateful i was not fed soy infant formula because Infants exclusively fed soy-based formula have 13,000 to 22,000 times more estrogen compounds in their blood than babies fed milk-based formula, the estrogenic equivalent of at least five birth control pills per day.some of the damage this can cause is to mess up sexual orientation for males when they hit puperty and for girls cause them to go through puberty early.i have experienced soy posioning though when i was 14 or so years old i found out i was lactose intolerant so for a year or 2 i drank VERY large amounts of soy milk because i did not know any better.it made me extra extra fat because of it's thyriod impairment that's what one of the toxins in soy does and it also put my chest over the edge and made my man boobs far worse.so with the combo of junk food, and possibley other unkown posions and soy and no exercise to burn off the posions i turned into a freak a 300 pound male with long 7 inch sagging man boobs. then a few years later i was very poor and ate lots of spagetti and whent up to 330 pounds.but anyways i am healthy now i eat healthy foods like eggs,meat,butter,feta cheese and broccoli and i go to the gym lot's and lost about 150 pounds of fat and gained 60 pounds of muscle. i also got surgery a chest reduction & tummy tuck and i can now do things like go outside in a normal thin shirt with out feeling embarrssed.anyways the point is i am grateful i was not fed soy infant formula as a baby because at age 14 i was able to recover and live healthy like i am now but if i drank it as a baby i don't know if that would have been possible. much praying would have been needed for me to be healthy if i drank soy milk as a baby i think.and pregnant mothers who eat large amounts of soy can have serious birth defects so you should never eat soy.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9L5MJYfi2Ahttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRfnYthqbNkanyways this is a good poll :)also what the mother eats can effect the quality of her breast milk. and mothers who get sunlight during 11 am - 2 pm can have vitamin D in there breast milk too.also a human mothers breast milk is 50 to 57% of calories from fat so high fat diets are natural. and then look at the junk store bought baby food it's terrible.http://www.biblelife.org/babyfood.htmalso here is a good food list for pregnant and nursing mothershttp://www.westonaprice.org/childrens-health/311-diet-for-pregnant-and-nursing-mothers.htmlalso im allergic to coconut refined coconut oil last time i tried it made me really sick i don't know if it was because it was produced poorly or not but im fairly sure i am allergic to it. but for most people im positive coconut is a great food

·
Registered
722 Posts
I was bottle fed as a baby and i do not think that has anything to do with my severe ill health.My sister and brother are healthy and were bottle fed to.I bottle fed my son who is nearly 18 now and he is in excellent health!!

·
Registered
152 Posts
The only problem with the question is that no one is identifying how long they were breastfed, 2 months, 2 years.... It could make a significant difference.Just a thought!

·
Registered
152 Posts
I breastfed each of my three children for a year and a half - although it helped their immune systems while they were breasfeeding, I'm not sure if there are long term effects for other health issues (such as stomach issues).

·
Registered
158 Posts
hi guys check the second link on my signature..have done something similar in the past and yes it seems to be a link to not breastfed/ born by Csection and other ones..check it out

·
Registered
8 Posts
i was breastfed but only for 3 months, which is what my mother's doctor recommended at the time (late 1960s). I believe current recommendations are for much more than that

·
Registered
11 Posts
interesting topic, also wonder about the types of foods we ate as a child, like my mom switched to margarine in the 1970's. but for me, I think mostly it's emotional (having PTSD and OCD from a difficult childhood----too much STRESS)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts