Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What a difference a better doctor can make...Speaking from experience here: If you have bad feelings about your GI or other physician, dump him/her if you can! I know, however, that that can be difficult to do in certain medical plans (my case last year).I went to a new GI physician on Monday, just for a quick check-up/consultation and to roughly schedule my next colonscopy. I'm still, as always, rather frustrated with managed-care medicine -- and I don't see how we can be diagnosed in 3 minutes (or even 5-10 minutes). However, all in all, I have better feelings about this doc than my last two GI docs (esp. the one last year), that's for sure! This time, my blood pressure didn't go sky high, 'cause I was more relaxed. Overall, I was treated with more dignity and respect by the nurse/assistant and the doctor than I often have been used to in the past. Even if you can't get so many answers, respect is very important...I can't stress it enough. Plus, this new doc has a v. good reputation and doesn't come across as having ego problems, and he seems quite competent and on top of things; my father and I "searched" for him together.Here are some things we briefly discussed, which might be interesting to some of you:- Doc told me to, above all, keep up my comprehensive nutritional program. Smart doc!- He said I could always try some prescription meds, if my nutritional program didn't completely help me (but he didn't push me to do so). He's aware of Lotronex and newer meds being developed; he thinks the newer meds will be better than Lotronex. - He's not a big fan of the yeast-in-intestine theory, at least in terms of it being a primary causitive factor for problems such as IBS and colitis. However, he did confirm that everybody has yeast all over their bodies, which is generally held at bay by our immune/lymphatic systems. He also admitted that, sure, it sounds fair that yeast could possibly pose some problems for a person whose immune system isn't quite up to par. (But he doesn't seem to hand out antifungals...oh well.) He was straigtforward in admitting that "we" (the med. profession), unfortunately, just doesn't know all there is to know...- He confirmed that for many women, IBS and endo. (and maybe other problems down there) often seem to go hand in hand, esp. because of the proximity of the various organs.- He said, sure, in my case, an overpermeable intestine certainly could have contributed to my great weight loss. He was quite willing to give me a malab. test (D-Xylose sp?) whenever I want one, to check how I'm doing.- Along those same lines, he remains quite open to the possibility that there are other Sprue-like conditions, yet unnamed, out there -- that is, foods other than wheat, maybe preservatives, etc., to which people can grow sensitive and that can cause Sprue-like symptoms. Again, he admitted that "we" don't know all there is to know yet. Refreshing at least.- He has no idea why I am experiencing certain "unique" burning problems in various parts of my body (which I won't go into here right now). Doesn't know the connection. However, again, he said "we" don't know all there is to know about toxins, bacteria, etc.He also gave me a pamphlet about IBS that wasn't half bad! Overall, quite good, actually. He didn't talk down to me but said that I probably already knew more than what was in the brochure. Well, we'd all like to have great answers to all our questions, but as most of us "oldies" have learned, it's up to us to, to some degree, be our own doctors and do our own research. Greater awareness about IBS (and associated disorders) certainly IS needed! But, it does feel better to at least find a doc we like, right, others??!
------------------Cultivate gratitude. Believe in possibilities.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Hipjan, a very good post and he sounds like a very good doctor

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hi Hipjan,I am glad to hear that you have a new doctor who you have confidence in. That is so important. In your post, you mentioned a burning sensation. I am also experiencing a strange burning sensation in unmentionable places. I wonder if we have something similar. I would like to talk. My e-mail is Kjs6661###aol.com. Thanks.Kelli

·
Registered
675 Posts
HipJan,This is my idea of the perfect GI doctor:In the middle of the exam, he/she says "Will you please excuse me, but if I don't get to the bathroom in the next 5 seconds, I'm going to S--t my pants!!!!"Now that's a compassionate doctor!love to all. mama-

·
Registered
6,922 Posts
Hi HipJan:You are so lucky! And it sounded like he spent some time with you talking to you, something they don't often do. Are you going to do the malabsorption test?
JeanG------------------Member of "The Advance Guard for the Ozone Rangers".May the "farce" be with you. JeanG

G

·
Hi Jan!Glad to hear you found a Doc you like!Just an aside.... as frustrating as it is to hear "I don't know" from a Doc, it also makes me feel good about them. I certainly prefer that than hearing something like "that's impossible" or "you must be imagining it". Not a lot of Doc's out there will admit they don't know. Mine will (my regular Doc, NOT my GI) and I feel very lucky to have him.

G

·
Doctors....Dignity and respect. Im am glad you brought this up. Everytime i go to a doctor and i tell them am ibs/c they become very irritated like is my fault. That is so unprofessional.

G

·
HipJan,Very encouraging.I have a question though. Since I have moved to a different state and far away from my old doc (who was good), I am confronted with the "search" problem. What "criteria" did you use in your search to find a doc who would be good for helping you manage IBS???Question for anyone: Is there any kind of "registry" that would reflect a doc's experience and success with managing IBS patients???BJ

G

·
sometimes the best thing to do is to get a new doctor to take a unbias look at your condition. I know that it helped me alittle.I am happy to hear that you like your new doctor, I hope they can find out was is causing your problems and fix it.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bob and others -- I didn't use any "scientific" criteria to find the new doc. And, I didn't really expect him to be able to help me much with my IBS, esp. having learned from experience that most docs don't help you with that so much. But I did need a good doc, and one I liked too, to perform regular colonscopies on me (every 1-3 years, because of my being at high risk for colon cancer). I thought if he could "watch over me" and my IBS/weight loss loss problems as well, so much the better.First, I just looked at my book of physicians from my health plan. I circled a few names of certain docs, based on their location as well as the reputation of the hospital. Then I looked through a book of physicians belonging to a certain reputable hospital system fairly nearby; the book included photos and descriptions. This sounds weird, but I got "good vibes" about two of the GI docs. Then, my father did some independent research -- by talking with the nurse of one of his long-time docs in the same system; she spoke esp. highly of one of the GI docs I'd found. Next, he talked with his doc during a routine visit; the doc reported that that GI doc was in fact his own, and he liked him a lot! Then, my father first went to the GI doc (he also needed a colonoscopy), and he also liked him. Anyway, long story, but word of mouth!I guess to find a good doc who really specializes in IBS (bet you there aren't so many), you have to talk with people you know and also make calls to the docs' offices to ask who specializes in what. Other ideas, others?------------------Cultivate gratitude. Believe in possibilities.

G

·
HipJan...I am so very happy that there are doc's like him and even happier that you found him. I love my family doctor but lately see him slipping away. I know they are only human, too. His dad just passed away and believe it or not my doc has IBS, too. I pray for him because he has been so respectful of me and my 20+ years of knowing him. I'd also be interested in your malabsorption tests and results. Good Luck. I am learning so much!!!

·
Registered
231 Posts
The best GI doc I found recently is someone who is living in my community on sabbatical for a year and whose specialty is motility. When he heard from my husband that I suffer from IBS he invited me over to his home for a consultation. (free!) We talked about my problems with finding the right GI and he said that what I need like many other patients is a doctor who is empathetic. Every doctor I'd been to was just o.k. but didn't tell me anything I didn't already know. In fact, I had to suggest to the last one that I do a barium X-ray of the upper GI tract. This guy was better than anyone I'd been to and took time out to explain a lot of things to me. He's more for trying to control IBS through good diet, but he did offer me some anti-spasmodic pills that he thought might help. He also told me about Lotronex. He still maintains his practice in N.J. if anyone is interested. He practices in Montefiore Hospital I think. I don't want to publicize his name without his permission, but if anyone is interested I can ask.Watch out for the sorbitol in the malabsorbancy testing if you suffer from D. When I did it I didn't even make it to the toilet it came out so fast!! (sordid story)

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hi HipjanI nice to hear you had a good experience with the new Gi Doc. It helps when someone listens to you and understands your problems with some insight and depth. Anyway i hope he/she "watches over you" and I'm sure they will. I hope your weight loss has improved and your gaining a little. Myself a lost 2.5lbs recently after my second colonoscopy. The prep was the big bottle...yuck....Anyway it's over and the Doc says its normal. The blood profiles okay except the LIVER enzymes...he mentioned Gamma something..the one which is raised in alcohol problems... I find that hard to understand since i have never drank alcohol in my life.Anway he plans and liver ultrasound and a barium meal for small bowel exam...so more tests..i'll keep you posted..Bye for nowCW5

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.