Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All... What is the prep for this test and does it hurt? I'm really scared. thanks and bless you all. Sadie

·
Registered
318 Posts
Hi SadieI had the flex sig nearly 3 years ago, but I still remember it like it was yesterday! The prep for me was 2 Fleet enemas the morning of the procedure. The test is usually performed without sedation, and... let's say I didn't like it too much. Yes, I did have a lot of pain. The doc didn't even go as far as he wanted to because of how much it was hurting me. The colonoscopy is much, much better, although the prep is worse. On a side note, after the procedure, I felt better than I did in years (from the enemas cleaning me out so good)! I probably didn't alleviate your fears, but remember that we all experience things differently with IBS - this test may not be painful at all for you! But if it is, you have our sympathy & support.Karen

·
Registered
179 Posts
My doc gave me the choice of having it in the office w/o sedation, or in the hospital with sedation. (Demerol and Versed...good stuff) I chose the latter, and remember NOTHING except thinking "hey...I'm not asleep yet...get away from me"...then they woke me up. THe prep was definitely the worst part....my doc had me do two days of a liquid diet, followed by a chaser of some horrid stuff called "X-Prep". Then an enema at the hospital. Had some gas pain for a day or so, then back to normal.Colleen

·
Registered
228 Posts
Mine done in my Dr's office and he was very good at explaining to me just what he was doing. I just found it very uncomfortable but don't remember any outstanding pain. I think that it depends on the touch of the Dr. doing the test. That was over 10 years ago. I guess I have to admitt with all the others were the fleet enemas were the worse. The Dr did gradulate me in getting myself cleaned out good. At least I did something right
[This message has been edited by taffy (edited 04-01-2000).]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Shirley!I had a syg. about a year ago and it wasn't anything like I had expected. If I remember right, I wasn't suppose to eat anything after midnight and then I had to do the 2 enemas (that was the hardest part, giving myself an enema). Anyway, I expected the procedure to be very rough and painful. She pumped air in my tummy and placed the hose in my rectum. The only discomfort I felt was the occasional cramping from the air in my tummy. My doctor also commented to me about how clean my rectum was. hehehe What a compliment. Don't be scared. From watching Katie Couric get her colonoscopy on the Today Show, it might not be so bad either. I need to have one of those next. Oh joy. The things we have to go through. I hope this helps.
------------------Exercise for Wellness, Meredith :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
I had my done in November and it wasn't that bad. I had it done in a outpatient surgery clinic. I was asleep long before they started anything but I was also having an endoscopy done at the same time. ------------------bats!Joanna

1 - 6 of 6 Posts