Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My GI prescribed (last year) a drug called Robinul, but it's not helping... I think it's supposed to be for cramps, which I don't have so bad (it's the urgency that bugs me). Anyone else on this drug? What does it do for you?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I had been taking Robinul daily for about 10 years. I really think it started to lose its effectiveness (but I lasted 10 years on it!) so I switched a few months ago to Hyocsamine (Levbid-trade) and that is working pretty well for me. The biggest problem I had with the Robinul was the dry cotton mouth feeling. I just chewed gum or sucked on a hard candy to help offset that. I worked in a pharmacy for about 5 years and I'm pretty sure I was the only person at our pharmacy, as a customer, using Robinul in the last 5 years. Bottom line: Aside from the dry mouth (but it lets you know that you're at and pushing your therapeutic dose), Robinul worked for me up until recently.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Oops, I forgot to answer the question of "what am I taking?"For me, Robinul stopped the painful spasms and contractions in the bowel and sometimes helped with the urgency of the 10-second warning of gotta go...gotta go now!!!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your replies. I haven't tried much else. Levbid wasn't doing anything for me; my doctor prescribed it for cramps, but they're nothing compared to the urgency problem... What I want is something to control the D. Right now I am not taking anything but Pepto, which seems to help a little. Haven't tried Immodium because it's not available OTC here. A while ago my GI prescribed the Robinul for the urgency problem, but it didn't help me control the D, and it didn't cut down on the number of bathroom trips (15 a day?).Momof4, where in Wisconsin do you live? I am moving to Madison soon!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Sailaway, I'm in the Milwaukee area. Are you moving to Madison for school or work? Good luck! Others have found great relief taking extra calcium supplements, it sounds so simple but a lot of people get some relief from D. Check out other threads on this message board and read other peoples' testimonies. Also, taking Immodium or its generic equivalent has really helped me and it gives me peace of mind, which is half the battle for me sometimes, the whole anticipatory anxiety thing. Yuck. I also take Xanax (alprazolam), just a small dose, and that helps take the "edge" off of the mind-gut connection. Good luck to you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.