Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are blood tests the best/most accurate ways to test for:1.) Bacterial overgrowth (in large and small intestine, bladder, etc.)?2.) Bowel/Bladder/Kidney infection?3.) Parasites?4.) Hypothyroidism?5.) Food allergies?6.) Celiac disease?7.) Lactose/Fructose intolerance?8.) Colon cancer?9.) Inflammatory diseases (e.g. Crohn's)?I'm considering seeing a homeopathic doctor who performs microanalysis on live and dry blood and I'm wondering how much faith I should put in the results. It's not expensive (which surprised me) and I'm still in the waiting process to get in to see a GI and, if possible, I'd like to do some of the tests that I can do through this method in the meantime, to save me some time and worry! Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ruby:1. Bacterial overgrowth in the intestines cannot be detected via serologies. It can only be detected through hydrogen breath testing that may or may not offered by your physician.. your GI doc should know about it though.2. A bladder/kidney infection would be detected in a urine culture.3. Parasites would be detected (or their ova) would be detected in stool samples.4. Thyroid disease would be determined through blood testing (not through homeopathic testing, either.)5. see previous response about food allergies.6. Celiac disease should be determined by looking at blood work (gluten sensitivites) and symptomologies. Only a physician can make this diagnosis.7. Lactose intolerance can also be determined by means of a hydrogen breath test. your GI doc should be able to arrange that test for you. I'm not familiar with any specific blood tests designed to rule in colon cancer or IBD. These diseases are usually diagonsed with the aide of macroscopic examination. Hope this info helps out some. As flux pointed out in your previous post, homeopathic testing is not reliable. Best of luck.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,Thanks for the info. I don't know how much faith I have in this kind of testing either but, since it's inexpensive, I figure I'll try it out to see what they can come up with. I still plan to see a GI for "real" tests, but I've already been waiting weeks just to get an appointment, so I could be waiting months to see someone. In the meantime, I'd like to try to figure out as much as I can and do as many "smaller" tests as I can on my own. What do you think about the "at home" test craze? I know a lot of companies are now selling at home tests for thyroid conditions, kidney infections, etc. I've also heard so many mixed messages about Enterolab and Great Smokies Labs (and they're so expensive, especially when I'm converting Canadian cash to American money). Are there any that are worth trying (i.e. reliable, reputable)? I don't think any companies allow for at home hydrogen tests, but Enterolab and Great Smokies offer stool tests and a myriad of other companies offer various other at home tests. I still have the ELISA foodSCAN 113-Panel test that I'm considering taking (from York labs), which some people on the board have claimed great, accurate results from. What is your take on these?

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:I'm considering seeing a homeopathic doctor who performs microanalysis on live and dry blood and I'm wondering how much faith I should put in the results

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.