Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone, i don't really know what they do and how they help you. i get really bad abdominal pain and am taking colofac, fybogel and propranolol but have still had spasms and the pain is all day every day. i havent really heard much on anti depressants. can anyone inform me?
Thanks...xox

·
Registered
312 Posts
Hi Vicky,I don't know much about them either. I do know that they block the messages of anxiety to the gut though. There are different types. SSRI's seem to have less side effects but sometimes the older ones can effect gut motility which could benefit ibs'ers. I've just started on Paxil and seems to be helping so far but it can take up to 6 weeks to work properly.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
im taking propranolol, a beta blocker, alongise anti spasmodics and have been for a wk and a half. prehaps too soon to tell if they are working but have had 3 painful spasms so far and constant abdominal pain

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi there,A good idea would be to do a search for anti depressants. A common type is an 'SSRI', which means selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor.Heres a site to get you started, but there are thousands out there on the web -SSRI Information I've been taking paxil, an SSRI for some months now for depression and anxiety, and have had no ibs attacks during that time.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
No more rolling in the bed or floor with spasms in the bowels, being able to get out in public without fear of no public bathrooms to get to quickly, no IBS attacks at work with one restroom with NO windows, eating pizza, sleeping better, and not having that feeling like "I just Know something bad is about to happen!" aaaallll the time.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
I take a low dose (20 mg) of Prozac. The horror stories are not true. I am a living example. I'm not sure what is available in your area. Sorry, but I do know that Prozac has been a life saver for me. Hope this helps. Also, it has been the best for abdominal pain I have tried.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Along the same lines as Vicky...I'm totally lost with all of this. My doctor is really great and always takes my suggestion so I'm looking for specifics. I'm currently taking an antispasmodic but it makes me too sleepy. My main problem is when I go out in public I get a cramp in my stomach and have to find a bathroom immediately. I'll shake and sweat until I find one. Now will the anti-depressant actually stop these symptoms or will they make me just not worry about them when they do happen?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.