Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After like a month with these persistant problems, I thought I had finally gotten them a wee bit under control, or at least enough so that I can finally go out and meet my friends for a little while...but here I am again, breaking out in sweats, with intestinal pain, the levisin not really helping with the cramping, bloated as all heck, and generally all around sick to my stomach...The thing is, is I feel like I've been blowing off my friends for a month cause I never feel good enough to go anywhere...My friend who works offshore 2 weeks off and 1 week on, I have not been able to go out with the past 3 times he has come in and I feel like I am always making excuses...but if we go out where they want to go out, there is no viable plan that I can foresee for getting me to a restroom with little to no embarassment...and that's assuming there's no line
...and my house where I live is 20-30 miles away...How are we supposed to do this?? I feel like a complete and utter hermit...It's more than a little depressing to be 28 years old, single, and at home with your parents every night
...Anyone with any thoughts out there? I feel so guilty, like i am constantly blowing off my friends cause I don't feel good...

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I'm sorry things are so miserable for you right now. As one who has had IBS for over 20 yrs I absolutely know where you are coming from. All I can do in the way of helping you is to 1.let you know that your'e not alone(you must already realize that from being here on the BB). 2.You will feel better, things aren't always going to suck, it just seems that way sometimes. Just curious, are you taking any meds other than levsin? Any antidepressants? You might want to look into trying a low dose antidepressant, they help some people alot (sometimes you need to try several)both with IBS issues like pain and pooping to much or to little and also with associated anxiety and depression. Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I'm sorry things are so miserable for you right now. As one who has had IBS for over 20 yrs I absolutely know where you are coming from. All I can do in the way of helping you is to 1.let you know that your'e not alone(you must already realize that from being here on the BB). 2.You will feel better, things aren't always going to suck, it just seems that way sometimes. Just curious, are you taking any meds other than levsin? Any antidepressants? You might want to look into trying a low dose antidepressant, they help some people alot (sometimes you need to try several)both with IBS issues like pain and pooping to much or to little and also with associated anxiety and depression. Hope this helps

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Nancy...Thanks for the words of encouragement...I really appreciate them...I have been on anti-depressants for over 2 years now...One was effexor and I am currently on lexapro...I have not noticed any huge difference in my IBS since taking them, except that I have not been to the hospital since then...the rest of the problems are still there (like everyone else's they have their good periods and the bad periods and the really bad periods)...I would have to guess that I have had IBS at least since high school and have noticed that my bouts are becoming more painful (and debillitating) as the years pass...I watch my diet, and exercise, but they are still there...at one point, even on the max dosage of effexor I still had problems...I was in graduate school and missed so many classes because of IBS problems...I'm trying to be more cheerful about it...I just don't know what I would do for some relief right now, since no OTC or prescribed medicines seem to be working...Thanks for the words of encouragement...I just want to have a life, you know?P.S. I talked to my friend and we are going to meet out for dinner tomorrow night...I kind of explained stuff to him and he was completely understanding, and understood that going out to dinner was less likely to pose a problem than going out in a crowded bar...Once again, thanks so much!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Nancy...Thanks for the words of encouragement...I really appreciate them...I have been on anti-depressants for over 2 years now...One was effexor and I am currently on lexapro...I have not noticed any huge difference in my IBS since taking them, except that I have not been to the hospital since then...the rest of the problems are still there (like everyone else's they have their good periods and the bad periods and the really bad periods)...I would have to guess that I have had IBS at least since high school and have noticed that my bouts are becoming more painful (and debillitating) as the years pass...I watch my diet, and exercise, but they are still there...at one point, even on the max dosage of effexor I still had problems...I was in graduate school and missed so many classes because of IBS problems...I'm trying to be more cheerful about it...I just don't know what I would do for some relief right now, since no OTC or prescribed medicines seem to be working...Thanks for the words of encouragement...I just want to have a life, you know?P.S. I talked to my friend and we are going to meet out for dinner tomorrow night...I kind of explained stuff to him and he was completely understanding, and understood that going out to dinner was less likely to pose a problem than going out in a crowded bar...Once again, thanks so much!

·
Registered
138 Posts
i have also had this same problem and it hard sharing with freinds what we go through with ibs.i pick and choose who to tell and not to tell in my group of ffreinds.most of my close freinds seem to understand and it helps just talking about it.keep your chin up becasue there are good days ahead.

·
Registered
138 Posts
i have also had this same problem and it hard sharing with freinds what we go through with ibs.i pick and choose who to tell and not to tell in my group of ffreinds.most of my close freinds seem to understand and it helps just talking about it.keep your chin up becasue there are good days ahead.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks twisted...yeah, I never do like to go into detail with this stuff...kind of still got that southern belle, always be a lady mentality...and somehow, there's nothing ladylike about trying to discuss your symptoms...lucky for me, all I had to do was tell him that I had IBS, and he was like, say no more...that stuff is terrible...no wonder you haven't been able to do anything...lucky for me to have such a good friend...and such kind people on this board

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks twisted...yeah, I never do like to go into detail with this stuff...kind of still got that southern belle, always be a lady mentality...and somehow, there's nothing ladylike about trying to discuss your symptoms...lucky for me, all I had to do was tell him that I had IBS, and he was like, say no more...that stuff is terrible...no wonder you haven't been able to do anything...lucky for me to have such a good friend...and such kind people on this board

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.