Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When my symptoms are bad I know there are a few things that, even if they don't get rid of the pain, will make me feel at least somewhat better. Usually I need a lot of rest and will zone out in front of the tv and watch one of those History or Discovery channel specials. Anyone else have anything like this? Food that you can eat that is definitely soothing? Medications? I am looking for more ideas and things to try that might help me and you are all such an incredible resource!

·
Registered
67 Posts
My problem is that my comfort things always change. Mostly it's crackers and warm flat diet Coke and curling up in a little ball.One thing that doesn't make me feel better? The way the cat somehow knows when I am about to make a mad dash to the loo and the brat walks in front of me and then stands in front of the bathroom doorway. No amount of yelling to move or get out of the way will move him, the little sod.

·
Registered
557 Posts
tv is my life saver too, if like you say i can zone out, it helps things, and a hot water bottle sometimes helps, i dont know about what i eat because when im bad i dont tend to, but in saying that for valentines day i started having massive spasms and needing to go to tthe loo but it hadnt gotten to th eD stge, but we had a table booked and i couldnt let my boyfriend down since that was his present to me, so i went and thought stuff it, im ill and having pizza even if it kills me, and by the time i got home i was okay, pizza cured me lol. well im sure it didnt but it stopped non-the-less.i tend to try and drink water and that seems to help ease things, sipping it all the time

·
Registered
557 Posts
quote:Originally posted by descartesmum:My problem is that my comfort things always change. Mostly it's crackers and warm flat diet Coke and curling up in a little ball.One thing that doesn't make me feel better? The way the cat somehow knows when I am about to make a mad dash to the loo and the brat walks in front of me and then stands in front of the bathroom doorway. No amount of yelling to move or get out of the way will move him, the little sod.
awww maybe the cat loves you loads and associates the bathroom and you = pain for you and no cuddles for kitty lol

·
Registered
779 Posts
quote:Originally posted by descartesmum:My problem is that my comfort things always change. Mostly it's crackers and warm flat diet Coke and curling up in a little ball.One thing that doesn't make me feel better? The way the cat somehow knows when I am about to make a mad dash to the loo and the brat walks in front of me and then stands in front of the bathroom doorway. No amount of yelling to move or get out of the way will move him, the little sod.
My male cat does the same thing. What is it with cats? He likes to follow both my husband and myself into the bathroom and then he stands in front of the toilet. I have to push him out of the way. Pain in the neck.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Warmth seems to help me as well, I have this hot water thing from europe, don't even know what to call it in english (it is this rubber bag which you fill up with hot water - we used to put it in baby's cribs or in our beds on very cold nights)we call it a "kruik". Anyway I lay that on my stomach and curl up. Must agree that tv is a good distraction and I recently bought a tea that gave some comfort. I have to be honest, it was not tasty to me but it was somewhat soothing...(Organic Chamomille with lavender - for nervous stomach - by traditional medicinals.Hang in there

·
Registered
584 Posts
I try to do crossword puzzles, su-doku, video games. Things that make me concentrate on something that's not the pain. I don't reach that level of concentration just watching tv.Watching tv while doing the crossword. That's a winner.I like a warm heating pad on my gut sometimes.I also love the whirlpool bath with warm water. Always makes me sick once right after I get in, but usually calms me down pretty well after that.

·
Registered
67 Posts
quote:Originally posted by nerfmom:
quote:Originally posted by descartesmum:One thing that doesn't make me feel better? The way the cat somehow knows when I am about to make a mad dash to the loo and the brat walks in front of me and then stands in front of the bathroom doorway. No amount of yelling to move or get out of the way will move him, the little sod.
My male cat does the same thing. What is it with cats? He likes to follow both my husband and myself into the bathroom and then he stands in front of the toilet. I have to push him out of the way. Pain in the neck.
Yes! Campbell just follows me and not my son. The cat either sits or stands in front of me too. Whew! So I'm not alone in this.My son quit his job so is home all the time which upsets the cat because I have to close the bathroom door. My son had moved out for awhile so the bathroom door remained opened then.Now the cat either scratches to come in or he will throw himself at the door
. But when I open the door a little so he can come in and you try doing that when you are on the loo, he snickers and then runs off.

·
Registered
557 Posts
quote:Originally posted by SterreDerZee:Warmth seems to help me as well, I have this hot water thing from europe, don't even know what to call it in english (it is this rubber bag which you fill up with hot water - we used to put it in baby's cribs or in our beds on very cold nights)we call it a "kruik". Anyway I lay that on my stomach and curl up. Must agree that tv is a good distraction and I recently bought a tea that gave some comfort. I have to be honest, it was not tasty to me but it was somewhat soothing...(Organic Chamomille with lavender - for nervous stomach - by traditional medicinals.Hang in there
we call it a hot water bottle

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi Newsjunkie:I have IBS-D for nearly two years. for me it's not so much of going to the bathroom as it is the Pain I mostly get, the cramps, vice like the other day it lasted nearly 3 hours after it subsided I passed out for nearly the same amount of time. I take Robinul forte and it helps, give me C sometimes and I love that!. It also helps with the pain too, but I need to have enough in my system.Talk to your MD this medication has been around for a very long time.
quote:Originally posted by newsjunkie:When my symptoms are bad I know there are a few things that, even if they don't get rid of the pain, will make me feel at least somewhat better. Usually I need a lot of rest and will zone out in front of the tv and watch one of those History or Discovery channel specials. Anyone else have anything like this? Food that you can eat that is definitely soothing? Medications? I am looking for more ideas and things to try that might help me and you are all such an incredible resource!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion of Robitnl Forte (Sp?) I also found the primodolphius helps and oatmeal makes me happy as well as heat although I don't have a hot water bottle heater I should get one.. my beau will rub my stomach and I feel like everything is going to be ok. Jenonaoh and my kitty loves to come in, I think just strategically its a good height to pet them!

·
Registered
779 Posts
Cats can be a blessing, but mine can be such pains in the neck. They are both very loving to my husband and myself, but are spoiled brats.I forgot to respond to this thread, so here are my comfort "zones".When I am in the bathroom with an attack and I can, I read or play handheld games. I recently discovered that I can even watch TV if I close the bedroom door and turn the TV on it's swivel stand and leave the bathroom door open. I like to watch baseball and seemed like I missed a lot of the games because of IBS. So that is one point in favor of our new apartment.I use the heating pad, and my husband is good about rubbing my hurting body parts. I have found that a leg/foot rub helps along with a tummy rub, of course. My husband is limited on what he is able to do, but he can still give me a good massage. I try to take my mind off my pain by reading, watching TV or listening to soothing music. I can't eat or drink anything while I am in the midst of a bad attack, so I don't even try to do that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.