Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a barium x-ray done today and the doc basically said nothing was wrong, I was perfectly fine not even more gas or stool than the normal person but I feel terrible, I can press down and feel large like distended rope like masses that feels like stool is in there and I am burping constantly after eating, feeling full and bloated and the rumbling when I press on my stomach. I am really unable to fart even after taking extra strength phazyme.. I don't know what is wrong with me??? Can barium x-rays really tell "everything" like Chron's? That's was the doctor there said.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
There is a lot a barium x-ray cannot detect. For starters, it is only looking at the colon and it is largely a static picture of the large-scale anatomy. It doesn't sound like you are constipated from your previous description. But it does sound like your symptoms are more related to the stomach.If there is no physical disese present in the stomach (endoscopy), then it would probably make sense to at least have a gastric emptying scan.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Watchme-You were worried of having that inertia thing. I assume you took the Barium enima for the colon and not the barium swallow for the stomach and sm. intestine? Was that test for the inertia thing? Is it called colonic inertia? Weird name. Like it's going to keep traveling into outerspace? Newton's 3rd law of motion. When at rest objects will remain at rest unless acted on by an outside force... the definition for inertia. Well anyway, watchme, you do seem to be in a lot of pain. You know the best time when I feel no symptoms is when I'm hiking. I hike and there is no pain. Before and after the hike I'm crampy and in pain and want to poop but can't. While I'm hiking I'm so normal. I just want to keep on hiking... all around the world!! I get up in the morning and I think, I can't hike, I'm in pain. I tell my gut to shut up and wait till I get home to go poop again, and just force myself to go hike. I have friends and a dog that I hike with to pass the time. We gab, gab, gab... it's so fun. Here in California we have beautiful hills to hike up and down. The weather is always picture perfect. But I like hiking in the rain too.

G

·
thats great watchmedream,i didn't get a change to reply to your pm. i've always thought it wasn't constipation and its great. i know you are still in pain and uncomfortable. i really think your colon might be spasming during the day and relaxing at nite. i think instead of taking stimulants you should try taking something that bulks up the stool-so its easier to pass and prevents the colon from clamping down on it. and probably something to help you not feel the sensations as much. flux is going to argue with me about this, but hey.

G

·
the reason i don't think its stomach related it b/c she has a lot of problems that are clearly intestinal-like feeling like she can't go to the bathroom and having one large urgent poop and then little ones later. that is not a stomach issue. that's kind of classic ibs and i have it too. if your colon is messed up it can feel like you are having stomach problems b/c the colon goes right under the ribs and compromises that area. ibs can affect the ENTIRE digestive tract-its not just limited to the colon

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Often when they do these sort of tests, they fill you up with air. It's perfectly normal and expect that you'll be gassy afterwards. I remember farting away as my GI doc told me the results of my colonoscopy, and he said that was good! (I was still pretty drugged and found the whole thing rather amusing that I kept farting!)Did you have an upper GI, lower GI, or both? Both are barium tests. I was VERY full of gas after my upper GI. They had me swallow little crystals that fizzed up inside me and filled that stomach right up with air. I burped as much as I could and the rest worked its way out over the next day or so.Honestly, the less you think about it the better you feel.
Try to find something else to occupy your mind...read a good book, play with your pet, call a friend, etc. When you just sit there and feel miserable and aren't at all distracted it's much worse than if your mind is on other things.It will take a while for the air to come out, but it will come out eventually. Resuming your normal diet will help things get back to normal. You can take it easy right after the procedure if you want, eating easy to digest foods, but do eat some to get that gut moving so the gas can move on out too. And don't be surprised when you have white poop from the barium!
BTW, what did the doctor think about your symptoms?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't know why I keep burping after every meal and feeling full and bloated. I still don't know if its not an ulcer or gastritis, then what could the burping be from?I did an upper and lower one where first I drank the fizzy stuff then the "thin" barium and they took x-rays of it coming down and then they had 30 minute intervals where they just took abdominal x-rays to check if I was ready for lieing down and having the doctor giving me this balloon like paddle thing on my stomach to see my small bowel I think? How is it seeing your colon?Joan, I don't think I am having spasms? I am not getting sensations, I am getting no sensations, just a bloated feeling. I really feel like I'm constipated sometimes and I don't know if I really am so I'm going to ask the G.I. on August 5th if the barium x-ray was really all normal and if the doctor was right in saying I had normal amounts of gas and stool then I am still burping and why? It is very frustrating!

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:so I'm going to ask the G.I. on August 5th if the barium x-ray was really all normal and if the doctor was right in saying I had normal amounts of gas and stool then I am still burping and why? It is very frustrating!
Did you burp during the study?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, I told the doctor about my symptoms and asked if drinking the fizzy stuff would make me more gassy and he said I could burp and well I did burp

·
Registered
389 Posts
Watchmedream:I have had several upper GI's, the last diagnosed me with hiatal hernia. They are a good indicator for problems in the stomach area. If you had the small bowel follow through, this allows the doctor to see additional areas.I know that now it is sometimes recommended they an endoscopy also be performed to be able to look closer at these areas. I've never had that one, but I'm quite sure many of the people on the board have.Are you taking any medication for the burping?

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:asked if drinking the fizzy stuff would make me more gassy and he said I could burp and well I did burp
The carbon dioxide granules put a wrench in this. You need to repeat the study without them and the doctor has to know to look at the mechanics of the belching act.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
WMD....chill.I think what Flux was saying is that what may need to be done is look at your usual burping without the fizzy stuff.Are you saying you only can ever burp ever when you have carbon dioxide bubbles and without that you would not ever burp during a medical test??Or are you just upset and lashing out wildly?? If you are told something that doesn't make sense to you, maybe try asking questions about what the person means rather than cursing them out?? Just a suggestion.I think what Flux is trying to say is a burp that is artifically induced by drinking fizzy stuff may not be the best thing for seeing what occurs under the usual conditions where the problem seems to occur.After all if the only time you ever have problems is when you drink fizzy stuff than the solution is to not drink fizzy stuff.However, if the only thing the doctor was checking for is can you belch at all at any time, then the fizzy stuff test may be a reasonable thing, but it is of limited use to figure anything else out. Some people cannot under any circumstances burp, and that can cause problems that are not seen in people that can burp when they have gas in the stomach.Back to the original question. Sounds like you had an upper GI barium test. Did they X-ray you right away only? or did they X-ray you a few times.If you drink the barium and they do it just right away they are only looking at the gross anatomy of the stomach. (see ulcers, etc) if they do a series of X-rays they can also see problems with the anatomy of the small intestine. Usually for the anatomy of the colon they do a barium enema. They can see ulcerations and other anatomical problems using this technique. They can't really determine functionality of the parts (like does your stomach empty properly...that sort of thing...., or if there is a microscopic problem that would need a biopsy. Upper and Lower endoscopy cannot reach all of the small intestine, so for some parts of the small intestine the barium X-ray is the main way to see what is going on. Crohn's is something that can be seen in the anatomy of the small intestine with the Barium much of the time.K.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote: you can't repeat it without it Flux
As K epxlained above, you need to the test redone without the CO2 granules because they may cause or prevent belching due to whatever is the real cause of your belching. You need another doctor if the doctor is not able to understand this.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Just to help, I've had 3 SBFT's1st without the fizzies (diagnosed crohn's)2nd with the fizzies (confirmed crohn's)3rd was enteroclysis with a tube down my throat to inject the barium (NOT FUN!)So WMD, you can have the test done different ways. I hope this helps you.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts