Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had numerous blood tests, but I dont know what they test for, can any of the bowel diseases be ruled out with just blood tests alone? I did hear her mention one test was for inflammation, but didnt quite hear what she said properly. one doctor even told me that the blood test would reveal that I had 99% chance of it being IBS.is this possible?thanks

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hey!I don't know about ruling out diseases by blood tests alone, but from my understanding, the doctor orders these to look at what your white blood cells are doing to see if you have infection or inflammation (Blood test can also indicate the possibility of coeliac's disease). If your white cell count is normal and you are having symptoms, it may mean that you have IBS - BUT you need to ask for further testing to confirm this e.g. faeces tests and colonscopy. I hadn't heard about the 99% IBS test though?? When you go back to your doctor to get your results, ask the doctor what they have tested for and what it means - just for interests sake
Polly

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hey!I don't know about ruling out diseases by blood tests alone, but from my understanding, the doctor orders these to look at what your white blood cells are doing to see if you have infection or inflammation (Blood test can also indicate the possibility of coeliac's disease). If your white cell count is normal and you are having symptoms, it may mean that you have IBS - BUT you need to ask for further testing to confirm this e.g. faeces tests and colonscopy. I hadn't heard about the 99% IBS test though?? When you go back to your doctor to get your results, ask the doctor what they have tested for and what it means - just for interests sake
Polly

·
Registered
374 Posts
Hi Paul. I am NOT a dr. but I know that they can do bloodwork to check for inflammation and infection. They can also check for Celiac's. Minimum - I think a high white blood cell count indicates infection.Best wishes to you both

·
Registered
374 Posts
Hi Paul. I am NOT a dr. but I know that they can do bloodwork to check for inflammation and infection. They can also check for Celiac's. Minimum - I think a high white blood cell count indicates infection.Best wishes to you both

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Sedimentation Rate is what they look at for Inflamatory bowel disease.This parameter is elevated if you have inflamation going on in your body (won't say it is bowel, but any autoimmune disease will elevate this measurement).If yours is normal and you are having symptoms around the time of the test, it tends to be pretty sure you have IBS rather than an IBD (although celiac and giardia or other parasitic diseases may need to be ruled out as well). If your IBD is in complete remission (which should mean symptoms are MUCH better) then the sed rate could be pretty normal because there is no inflamation.K.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Sedimentation Rate is what they look at for Inflamatory bowel disease.This parameter is elevated if you have inflamation going on in your body (won't say it is bowel, but any autoimmune disease will elevate this measurement).If yours is normal and you are having symptoms around the time of the test, it tends to be pretty sure you have IBS rather than an IBD (although celiac and giardia or other parasitic diseases may need to be ruled out as well). If your IBD is in complete remission (which should mean symptoms are MUCH better) then the sed rate could be pretty normal because there is no inflamation.K.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone, I think I have been about 5/6 times to have blood taken and I have also done a stool sample, but all clear so far, does this rule anything serious out? and could it be that I have IBS and perhaps this is why the doctor doesnt seem too concerned?thanks again

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone, I think I have been about 5/6 times to have blood taken and I have also done a stool sample, but all clear so far, does this rule anything serious out? and could it be that I have IBS and perhaps this is why the doctor doesnt seem too concerned?thanks again

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Typically yes, that does in almost every case rule out serious stuff.Espcially if you have no "RED FLAG" symptoms.Brownish blood in the stoolsPain that wakes you from sleep in the middle of the nightInexplicable weight lossanemia and elevetated sed are red flags you don't have if the blood tests are normal.Most of the time with IBS symptoms and no red flags even if you do every single test known to man only a couple of people out of a hundred will have anything other than IBS (serious or not).So the doctor is probably right not to be overly concerned (not expecting your impending death or hospitalization) BUT if he/she is not offering any treatment options you may want to find someone who likes the challenge of working through all the options with an IBSer.K.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Typically yes, that does in almost every case rule out serious stuff.Espcially if you have no "RED FLAG" symptoms.Brownish blood in the stoolsPain that wakes you from sleep in the middle of the nightInexplicable weight lossanemia and elevetated sed are red flags you don't have if the blood tests are normal.Most of the time with IBS symptoms and no red flags even if you do every single test known to man only a couple of people out of a hundred will have anything other than IBS (serious or not).So the doctor is probably right not to be overly concerned (not expecting your impending death or hospitalization) BUT if he/she is not offering any treatment options you may want to find someone who likes the challenge of working through all the options with an IBSer.K.

·
Registered
501 Posts
A colonoscopy is also pretty much routine to correctly diagnose a gastrointestinal disorder - so if the doctor isn't recommending one I would be querying why, or getting a referral to a gastroenterologist. It sounds though like your doctor is being pretty thorough.

·
Registered
501 Posts
A colonoscopy is also pretty much routine to correctly diagnose a gastrointestinal disorder - so if the doctor isn't recommending one I would be querying why, or getting a referral to a gastroenterologist. It sounds though like your doctor is being pretty thorough.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Tropigal...One of the reasons they often do not do colonoscopies as much for IBSers when the symptoms are clear and the Non-invasive tests are clear is that the chances in clear cases (no red flags, blood and stool tests normal, etc) is that the risk of serious complication from the colonoscopy (perforating the colon) is about the same chance of finding anything other than IBS.Extensive invasive testing sometimes makes IBS worse....so there is a push for the "standard of care" for IBSers is to not do the colonoscopy when you are 99% sure it will be 110% normal
.Some doctors will scope everyone, but a lot of doctors do not.Some of it depends on how likely you think you will be sued if you do not run every expensive test under the sun....Do not know if Oz is like here, but there is often an over-abundance of expensive, invasive yet unnecessary testing because in that 1 in 1,000 chance that it would show something you'd get sued to the point you'd lose your practice.K.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Tropigal...One of the reasons they often do not do colonoscopies as much for IBSers when the symptoms are clear and the Non-invasive tests are clear is that the chances in clear cases (no red flags, blood and stool tests normal, etc) is that the risk of serious complication from the colonoscopy (perforating the colon) is about the same chance of finding anything other than IBS.Extensive invasive testing sometimes makes IBS worse....so there is a push for the "standard of care" for IBSers is to not do the colonoscopy when you are 99% sure it will be 110% normal
.Some doctors will scope everyone, but a lot of doctors do not.Some of it depends on how likely you think you will be sued if you do not run every expensive test under the sun....Do not know if Oz is like here, but there is often an over-abundance of expensive, invasive yet unnecessary testing because in that 1 in 1,000 chance that it would show something you'd get sued to the point you'd lose your practice.K.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.