Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On reading through people's posts, I see many people have problems similar to mine, and I feel deeply sorry for all of you.I have seen 5 gastroenterologists, they have prescribed me a myriad of medicines : Lomotil, Donatal, Trazadone, Pamine.. and a few more. I have taken them all, and nothing seems to work. They all work for about a day, but when I take them constantly I only end up feeling much sicker a few days later.I have also had a number of tests : two colonoscopies, upper gi exam, and CDSA from great smokies labs. All but the last found nothing, Great Smokies found no lactobacillus and a great excess of klebsiella.My symptoms started about 1.5 years ago, they were mild at first. I had developed a hernia, shortly after I got food poisoning where I had several attacks of uncontrollable diarrhea (which was a horrendous experience, considering I wasn't expecting it and there were no bathrooms nearby and I had to use the bushes.. ugh.. anyway). During that time I also started taking a large of amount of NSAIDs in order to control hernia swelling (I did not have insurance at the time and had to wait 8 months for surgery). I took a gram of ibuprofen a day. I took vioxx and naproxen for a few months but they made my intestinal tract very unpleasant to be around!So, I had surgery 8 months later and expected to get better, as they told me the hernias (actually I had two!) could be irritating my intestines. However it only seemed to get worse. Now almost one year later I have been through a huge amount of tests, the last doctor I saw (before my insurance ran out again, as I could not afford it.. got laid off.. had a car wreck and am out of work and utterly sick) was a nutritionist. She told me to try garlic and slippery elm and some other herbs. I took large doses of garlic which seemed to help for a short time, but here I am again still feeling very sick.I should clarify my symptoms *WARNING : this may sicken you :) * :In the morning I have foul 'particalized' diarrhea usually. And I pass several stools up until mid day when my stomach starts to calm down a bit, but it's still not pleasant. Also there are often sharp pains (around my belly-button usually), sometimes that wake me up in the night (like the last few nights). It feels like gassy cramping. Also, foods that irritate my stomach like fat, tomato, milk products seem to come out pretty much undigested. I can't seem to digest anything that contains fat. (it just comes out looking chewed up a bit in the mess of particles).Also, I have developed two strange rashes that I can't seem to get rid of, on my face and scalp (seems to be sebborhea, with open sores and all) and on my arms. I couldn't explain to my doctor that I had diarrhea up to 5-6 times a day, especially in the morning. I had a feeling they didn't believe me and thought I didn't want to work or something, something about the puzzled look they gave me.I smoke occasionally, and have quit for several weeks to see if that made any impact, but didn't seem to affect anything at all. (you would smoke to if you were living at your g/f's house, broke and feeling sick all the time.. and bored.. so bored.. :)). So, right now, I'm running of money, no job, no car, no insurance and quite sick. I have spent 100's on prescriptions and supplements and all the stuff people said might make me better, and I'm just about at the end of my rope. I can't move back home as my parents don't seem to understand. They say I am depressed because I have no motivation like I used to, but I would love to go out and do things, work, get an appt, go to school... I was planning on joining the army, had taken the asvab and all, but there is no way I could even attempt it feeling like this. Any help, or information you could give me would be greatly appreciated, sorry for the long post, it feels better to explain it all to someone and hope they will listen. (I wrote it out for one of my docs, but she said nothing was wrong, I just had IBS and needed to learn to live with it.) I am considering trying trazadone at a higher dose, because it's one of the last things I CAN try, although I truly hate the idea of anti-depressants. I feel fine, mentally. Just trapped physically!ThanksBenvoguelovesjane###yahoo.com

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry to reply to myself!But I thought I should add the only time I approach feeling normal is when I only eat maybe 1/2 a meal a day, and nothing too fatty, but you can only do that for so long!Thanks again.Bem

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.