Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am struggling with a sinus infection that will not go away. It has now moved into by chest. The z-pack, that I can tolerate, did not work. So I have been put on Biaxin. After just one pill, I started having cramps, nausea, and diarrhea. Is there any other antibiotic that can be tolerated if you have IBS? I take digestive enzymes with probiotics every day, this doesn't seem to help. I have been told that Duriflex is good. But I just don't know. Can anyone please help?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Which antibiotic you tolerate really varies from person to person. Usually you just need to make it through whichever one it takes to kill off the bacteria that are causing you problems.Try ginger for the nausea and some Imodium for the diarrhea if you need it.

·
Registered
311 Posts
if u have a sinus infection that is tough to treat, it's probably candida over growth........raising or lowering the Ph of the inside of ur nose & sinus' will help..........i have had many sinus infections in my life..........it wasn't until the ast yr that i found out if i kill the candida in my nose & sinus passages, then the infection goes away..........here's what i did........take a 10% solution of braggs apple cider vinegar..........put it in a nasal sprayer........spray "ONE" spray up each nostril, DO NOT SNIFF, tilt the head back & let it sit for a few seconds.........then slowly & gently sniff the solution up & back.........keep ur head tilted back for at least 10-15mins........in about 30mins, u can blow........this will clear out alot of stuff........nasty stuff........& u will blow many times.........don't do this right b 4 bed,cause it keeps clearing for awhile.........it will sting ur nose & throat if there is inflammation.........but when it clears, the pain is better & the candida is being killed.........this can b done many times a day.........the 10% solution is like this.......1tsp vinegar & 9tsp good water, distilled or drinking........no tap water..........hope this helps......

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Aly antibiotics are a challenge for most of us IBS D'ers. If the Zpac didn't work and it has moved to your chest.. ya gotta take something else no choice. Do the best you can with imodium and eat real low fat. Once you are done with the biaxin you might want to take a stronger probiotic.. something that is JUST a probiotic not mixed with any enzymes. To make sure your gut bacteria is balanced well after two rounds of antibiotics.Also.. just a thought.... but...Next time you feel like you are getting a sinus infection... ask your Dr about using a Neti pot.I sure hope you feel better soon.To Crstar:Making a diagnosis via the internet never helps.Saying
"it's probably candida over growth"
is not helpful because there really isn't ANYway for you to know that now, is there?

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
Tea Tree oil in a vaporizer may help. It is both an anti-bacterial and anti-viral. There are about 5% who don't tolerate it. (You can daub some on your hand to see if you get any reaction.) I use it externally in a number of products to good effect.Mark

·
Registered
5 Posts
I really can't say which antibiotics will be okay for you to take. Everyone is different. Whenever I've had a sinus infection, my doctor prescribed penicillin, which I tolerated well. I would suggest buying a nasal rinse or neti pot. Believe it or not, flushing your sinuses with a simple saline solution can provide great relief, and I highly doubt that will trigger an IBS attack. I also find that peppermint tea is soothing for sinuses, and may possibly be soothing for your IBS as well. Hope you feel better soon!

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I've been struggling with dental problems recently but I'm allergic to penicillin.I took metronidazole and tolerated it well but it didn't help.I then took Erythromycin and reacted badly to that also.So the rule is a little bit of trial and error.Good luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.