Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For about the past week or so, I have noticed that when I get up in the morning, I have a loose bowel movement. Its not runny at all, but more like 8 formed pieces that are fairly loose.Then, later in the day, usually about 6-10 hours later, I will have a perfectly formed BM, that is not loose at all, and average size. Im not sure what is causing this to be so consistant. My diet hasnt changed, little bit of stress earlier in the week, but better now. Also, in the mornings, I am extremely gassy. From 6am-8am I pass more gas than I will all day. Then loose BM(not quite D though) and then no real gas throughout the day. Normal BM, some gas before I goto bed, and then repeat.Man this stuff is frustrating to try and tackle.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
The colon is most active when you get up in the morning so you may be pushing some stool that isn't quite put together out as well as any gas that formed over the night during that peak activity time.Your colon will not be more active at any other time of the day so may be finishing the stool off at the proper rate.A slightly loose stool in a few pieces rather than one long snake really isn't a major health issue so not something that really needs to be worried about that much. Even healthy people have occasional loose stools if they eat too much sorbitol (like during the summer when a lot of fresh fruit is most tasty).

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Kathleen.I find that I either have pieces or long snake like stools. Its always a suprise as to what it will be. Also, food moves through me very fast. If I eat something, it will come out 8 hours later for the most part. I also eat dinner very late at night. Usually about 2 hours before I goto bed. Could this be causing some issues? Even more so now that I have been having IBS issues?Thanks again for the advice.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
#4 is normal, but #5 really isn't a major health worry. Frequenty watery diarrhea is but I really wouldn't get worried of going back and forth between #4 and #5, especially if you know you run on the faster end of transit times.as long as you maintain weight with normal caloric intake for your size and activity level I really wouldn't put a lot of worry into this. If anything getting really into analyzing every stool and pattern (which all sounds like the mild end of IBS to me) will make your symptoms worse than they'd be if you'd just let it go and not worry about it.It isn't going to give you any idea what treatment will work or anything else useful.

·
Registered
205 Posts
My wife tells me the same thing
"Quit examining every BM" I agree, it doesnt make it better.No weight loss at all. In fact, over the past 3 months of my IBS issues, I have added a few pounds, which is great, cause Im a pretty lean guy. No watery stools at all, so that has been nice. Ill see if me not stressing anymore clears it up. It has gotten gradually better this week.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not to be too gross, but 4 hours after this mornings loose pieces BM, I had probably the most normal(And perfect
) BM I have had in a long time! What an odd symptom

·
Registered
722 Posts
Believe it or not i pass every type of BM on the Bristol Stool Scale,at different times of the day,every day.My bowels are all over the place,have no idea what is going on.I also strain with every type of BM to.Its a nightmare!If i didnt laugh i would cry!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Im finding that the food is just passing through me too quick. Again, not watery D, but formed pieces. Usually one decent formed piece(The first one out) and then smaller pieces with it. Its been coming out super fast, with alot of gas behind it,etc. I feel completely empty when Im done, so no feeling that I have more in me. I noticed the quantity of stool and(somewhat graphic here) if you were to form it all together, it would make one perfectly healthy stool. I dont know why I let this bother me, but it does. It all started happening after my abdominal pains went away.I took a multivitamin yesterday and this mornings BM was still in pieces, but probably the most formed I had in awhile. Multivitamins usually harden my stool a bit, so Im hoping a few days of this and I can get my bm's back on track.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.