Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi folks,

I've been on a journey with my IBS related health issues for the past 2 years (and probably longer though I survived that period). Some time back I thought it was simple old Lactose intolerance, then I went low FODMAP. The initial results from any new diet are great but the good results never last more than a few weeks. Right now, I find myself in a position where eating and drinking (anything, even plain water) can cause instant flatus and the urge to fart. They (the farts) are 9/10 times completely odourless but loud and of course it's very annoying having to get up and move away from work colleagues each time I have the urge. If there's a blockage in the plumping then naturally the flatus will struggle to be expelled and so bloating usually results. Yep, I'm mostly constipated these days but sometimes even after passing stools the symptoms persist. I explored the SIBO route, done a breath test which returned a negative. However, I still decided to try Rifaximin 550mg 3 x a day for 2 weeks and have been taking a liquid based pro-biotic solution for the past 2 months too. Nothing, nothing at all has changed after the Rifaximin or the pro-biotics.

I have recently come across a condition called aerophagia which is a condition where people swallow too much air as part of eating and drinking. On the surface of it, it would make sense. An urge to pass wind sometimes within 1 minute of drinking a glass of water or eating a banana? What on this planet can explain that??? Aerophagia might just be able to. On the other hand, it could be the wrong path as I don't suffer from belching problems. In fact, I would say I just don't burp like I used to anymore. I used to be a burper, now I'm a farter! The consultant is pushing me down the bio-feedback route which I honestly feel is the wrong path. Here we clearly have a very instant physical reaction to the act of food/drink consumption, how can that be mental health related?

I've paid consultants close to $3,000 now but no one is anywhere near close to resolving my issue. Things done: 3 blood tests over the last 18 months, usual checks for celiac disease, bowel cancer, feaces sampling, SIBO breath test and been on a myriad of pro-biotic pills and liquid solutions.

If anyone has any experience with aerophagia or feels they've spotted something in my description above that might help me, please do respond! I aim to be very mindful of eating slowly and with a closed mouth from here on to see.

Best regards

·
Registered
16 Posts
Try going on a vegan diet if possible. Keep note of any foods that may make gas worse and cut them out. Don't be discouraged if your symptoms persist. Keep with a healthy diet. That is really the best thing in my opinion. Cut out junk food, greasy/fried foods, etc. as they will aggravate symptoms. Your symptoms should subside but not immediately and may or may not return to completely normal.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The gas that comes out is not caused by the water you just drank. It was already made in the colon from something you ate. You know bananas can be hard to digest? I can't even have 1. Try oranges, clementines or really sweet grapes. They have no fodmaps in them

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.