Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,I have IBS-D and have had it for about 8 years. In the beginning I sought all the normal methods of treatment including some relaxation therapy for panic (which helped). Over the course of two pregnancies my IBS subsided and the syptoms almost disappeared. However, I recently had my gall bladder removed and the problems are back greatly magnified. In the past week I have been having spells that I have never had before. I will be doing something around the house or some activity and get this wave of heat to come over me, followed quickly my nausea and shakiness. I feel very weak and must sit.....I also feel like I will be sick, like my stomach may explode. These waves come one right after the other...and heat is the best word I can think of to describe it. It is debilitating and I have no idea what it is or how to handle it. There doesn't appear to be a trigger that I am aware of.Has anyone else experience this or what do you think it could be? I have never had a colonoscopy but plan to do that soon.Thanks so much for any and all help. I am grateful for this BB.Kim

·
Registered
766 Posts
I get hot flashes with attacks sometimes, and also get shakey and/or nauseated sometimes too. I've seen other people mention these symptoms too.Many people who've had their gallbladder out struggle with diarrhea attacks afterwards, it seems.I would definitely talk to your dr to make sure you don't have some sort of infection or something, but it could just be one of the lovely symptoms we IBSers deal with not infrequently. Not the best news, I know.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I get hot flashes with attacks sometimes, and also get shakey and/or nauseated sometimes too. I've seen other people mention these symptoms too.Many people who've had their gallbladder out struggle with diarrhea attacks afterwards, it seems.I would definitely talk to your dr to make sure you don't have some sort of infection or something, but it could just be one of the lovely symptoms we IBSers deal with not infrequently. Not the best news, I know.

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
KIMAs ATP said first rule out infection as these symptoms are associate with the release of chemicals from certain immune cells which are only supposed to be released in response to pathogens.However, since your symptom set is episodic and you were already having d-troubles before your surgery, I suspect that the malfunction of the gastroneuroimmune system in the small intestine (this is closely related to the source of the chronic evacuatory reactions in d-predominant IBS) which already existed is now exacerbated by the removal of your gall bladder. This adds a disruption to the normal way fats in the diet are digested as the absence of this reservoir and has to be adjusted to with dietary changes to limit total fat ingestion. Also it can help to spread out the food you eat into more smaller meals in a given day as oppsed to the normal "3 squares".If this dietary adjustment is not made then the problem you already experience in the small bowel (disruption of the small bowels integrated digestive-immune function) is worsened. So the reactions worsen and the symptoms worsen.So the place to start is first make sure there is no active infection and at the same time talk to a qualified dietician about post-surgical dietary advice AND this should be one who has experience in dietary manipulation for IBS-d-types as well. She can then give you an integrated diet plan which will also include avoidance of some of the statistically-probable provoking foods and agents.She should also be able to instruct you on how to keep a proper time-driven food and symptom diary and assess it for patterning. If she cannot find another one who knows this subject. Also, avoid my typing instructor
Eat well. Think well. be well.MNL_______________ www.leapallergy.com

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
KIMAs ATP said first rule out infection as these symptoms are associate with the release of chemicals from certain immune cells which are only supposed to be released in response to pathogens.However, since your symptom set is episodic and you were already having d-troubles before your surgery, I suspect that the malfunction of the gastroneuroimmune system in the small intestine (this is closely related to the source of the chronic evacuatory reactions in d-predominant IBS) which already existed is now exacerbated by the removal of your gall bladder. This adds a disruption to the normal way fats in the diet are digested as the absence of this reservoir and has to be adjusted to with dietary changes to limit total fat ingestion. Also it can help to spread out the food you eat into more smaller meals in a given day as oppsed to the normal "3 squares".If this dietary adjustment is not made then the problem you already experience in the small bowel (disruption of the small bowels integrated digestive-immune function) is worsened. So the reactions worsen and the symptoms worsen.So the place to start is first make sure there is no active infection and at the same time talk to a qualified dietician about post-surgical dietary advice AND this should be one who has experience in dietary manipulation for IBS-d-types as well. She can then give you an integrated diet plan which will also include avoidance of some of the statistically-probable provoking foods and agents.She should also be able to instruct you on how to keep a proper time-driven food and symptom diary and assess it for patterning. If she cannot find another one who knows this subject. Also, avoid my typing instructor
Eat well. Think well. be well.MNL_______________ www.leapallergy.com

G

·
Last winter I went through the exact same things you did. I got hot flashes and i felt very weak and dizzy. I had to lay down because I thought I would pass out and yes I felt very sick to my stomach. The doctor could not figure it out so I had a blood test. I was very low in iron. I was taking 3 iron pills a day but it upset my stomach making my nausea worse. Now i take one a day and i eat alot of foods with iron in them.You should ask your doctor to test you. Good luck and i hope you get to the bottom of it.

G

·
Last winter I went through the exact same things you did. I got hot flashes and i felt very weak and dizzy. I had to lay down because I thought I would pass out and yes I felt very sick to my stomach. The doctor could not figure it out so I had a blood test. I was very low in iron. I was taking 3 iron pills a day but it upset my stomach making my nausea worse. Now i take one a day and i eat alot of foods with iron in them.You should ask your doctor to test you. Good luck and i hope you get to the bottom of it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
It may just be your body getting the hang of no gulbladder there. The gulbladder did play an important lead, and when it's no longer there, different things might react in different ways. Speak with your doctor.

·
Registered
76 Posts
It may just be your body getting the hang of no gulbladder there. The gulbladder did play an important lead, and when it's no longer there, different things might react in different ways. Speak with your doctor.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.