Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've self-diagnosed for years. Now the doc says it's so, I've got IBS-D. This has been a crazy 4 yrs and it's finally caught up with me! The stress of my life and the chronic depression/anxiety is finally peaking thru my body! I've gained 100lbs. I'm miserable! What do I do? What do I eat???? The doc gave me Bentyl and Lomotil. This weight has to come off and I haven't got a clue where to go. I've tried every diet under the sun. Now I don't know what to eat! Sometimes veggies bother me, sometimes they don't! Sometimes water bothers me!!!! There's no rhyme or reason to my diet. I just eat and pray it doesn't go right thru me! Depending on what's going on with me, I may spend half the day in the bathroom. Sometimes it may be 2 days+ before I can go! Would someone give me a hand and give me some advice???? I'm a 41y/o working mom of 3 and don't have time to slow down! I just make sure I'm close to a bathroom!!!Thanks!

·
Registered
248 Posts
I completely understand what you are going through. IBS can be a handicap, not allowing us to get on with our day like normal people. I would keep looking into doctors, you are not sick for no reason. Have you tried immodium on a daily basis to help have some good days? Sometimes all I have to think about is being sick ,,,then wham, I'm having urges to go to the bathroom. As for the weight, I know excercise can help regulate bowels and very important for those with ibs...which unfortunately, i myself never have the energy to do so since i am always sick, but sometimes we have to push ourselves then it will get easier. But dont take 1 doctors opinion, esp if you have not had any tests done, colonoscopy, food allergies, thyroid, etc. You make also want to look into endometriosis if you find your problems worse at that time..

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Obviously the Bentyl / Lomitol combo is not working for you. There are SO many drugs for IBS. You just have to go through drug therapy. You must tell you doctor what works and what doesn't. Does Immodium help you at all? Have you tried something a little stronger like Levbid? Bentyl is a somewhat weak drug for IBS. Lomotil is pretty strong. However, Loperamide (prescription Immodium) is stronger than Lomotil. Levbid and Rubinol Forte is in the same family as Bentyl but much stronger. However, if the Lomotil is doing nothing you may want to increase it. You'll have to ask your doctor. Then there are the last resort REALLY strong drugs for IBS like Lotronex, Loperamide (daily doses), Zofran, and Remeron. Don't be scared to say "This is not working, or this works somewhat". It's ok to be honest and get the right drug for you.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I too am 41 and a working mom of 3! My kids are older though. The youngest being 17 now.I work part-time and have had IBS-D for many years although only diagnosed with it since 1996.I have tried lots of meds and finally after some experimenting of my own, came up with the following (keep in mind that I do still have bad days (mostly mornings are bad) and sometimes I think I actually bring on D myself simply out of fear)Calcium 2 per day with meals.Citrucel pills 2 per day.High fiber cereal in the A.M. (Raisen Bran or Kashi)1 Banana with my cerealI used to think fiber made my D worse but I found recently that not all fiber does. I was put back on Questran a few weeks ago but stopped it last week because I had better days on just the calcium, citrucel and high fiber cereal. I wish I could say that this stuff worked better for me by giving me good days everyday but I can't. Maybe now that I am working with a GI who actually cares, I will get something that works better for me. Jleigh

·
Registered
35 Posts
Janeilo,I have had IBS-D for 10 years atleast. I am not a mother of three, but I have been able to put myself together to lead a very successful life.I am a full-time trainer, which puts me in front of groups of people for eight hours a day, sometimes months at a time. I am also doing full time school in the evenings working on an MBA in Technology Management.My first advice "SLOW DOWN" but let me rephrase that, "RITUALIZE YOUR LIFE".Ok, now for my tips on staying hectic but healthy:1: Get a solid night of sleep. Try to get at least seven hours. Melatonin is a safe herbal suppliment/vitamin that can help you sleep if you can not stop thinking about your day. Also try sound boxes to block out the noise of the house around you.2: Do not under any circumstances skip meals. Eat on as close to a regulated pattern as possible. If you can not have a normal meal, try nutrition bars (I really like The Zone, but it sometimes triggers me.
Slim fast bars are good too) or Carnation Instant Breakfast. Always have your own personal snacks available, for up to three snacks, to make sure you are eating! My eating ritual is breakfast bar in the car on the ride to work (aprox 8:00). half a nutrition bar snack at 10:30. Lunch at noon. Half a nutrition bar at 2:30 or 3:00. Dinner at five or six. Snack in the evening, a fruit shake or what not.3- Set aside time for yourself. Let your kids know this is "mommy's time" if they are young. Institute a reading hour and find a genre of books you like! I read historical romances because they make me giggle (laughter is a great stress reliever) and don't mention our hectic modern lives AT ALL! It does not have to be a long time. Half an hour a day focused on quiet for you could be extremely good thing!4- Always have Immodium AD (I really like the anti-gas, ant-bloating type they now have), a gas reducer with Smithicone (Gas-X, Phazyme), and water with you when you are out and about. Keep some in your purse, in the glove compartment of your car, in your desk, AND in the medicine cabinet at home.5- For the weight I recommend checking out Ediets.com. I lost a good deal of weight on their program. You can ask it to leave out certain kinds of food. Ediets helps makes menus, and they have a convenience option for us on the go! I am using the Body Flex + system now for exercise, as my back is currently a little hurt. It is a mere twenty minute workout (after a few weeks you do it twice a day), and extremely relaxing! It will tone your muscles, and can be done in front of the tv once you learn the patterns! Very easy.The key is preparation and stress relief! Oh, and also, if your tush is getting sore from the constant wiping (mine does during bad episodes, try the sanitary wipes you can get. They are soft on the tush and clean faster then tissue.
This site does have some good books mentioned Eating for IBS is one I bought and it has a lot of recipes, but they do take preparation. So in the meantime, limit your fat and dairy intake, caffiene, and sugar. Avoid raw vegetables, especially those with tough skins.Remember to come on here when you are stressed and need to ###### about anything! We are all going through the same problems with different symptoms!Be Strong!
Alexis Parker

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.