Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya,Does anyone have any good relaxiation techniques I can use when I am in the car, there is no toilet in sight and I need to go NOW.Yesterday I got caught in a traffic jam and started to panic as I needed to go. The anxiety makes the need to go worse and I sweat, start to shake and the pain is incredible. I managed to sit tight for about 30minutes and made it to the fast-food place (its not the first time I have stopped there and not bought anything). This is completly anxiety related- I know if I could calm down I would be ok! Any tips from people who have been in the same situation?Thanks

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm afraid I don't really have any advice for you guys but, I definitly sypathize with you. I get myself so worked up that I end up giving myself D. Perhaps some anxiety meds? I'm going to my dr. next week to get on some cause I'm sick of living with anxiety. I hear xanax is good.

·
Registered
15 Posts
This actually just happened to me today! I find that when I'm in that situation, I sip on water, start tapping my fingers and just generally get frustrated that traffic isn't moving. For some reason, the water sipping and finger-tapping calm me down. You kind of just have to reassure yourself that the worst thing that could happen is you have an "accident" and if you're in the car by yourself, it's not that big of a deal unless you are not going home. The chances of an accident are not big though, so just some calming breathing helps.Sorry that's not much help, but that's what works for me!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Usually things like that do help. One day though, my hubby decided to pull into the bank driveup. Naturally, there was a line and then a long delay and then he had to send everything back through and ask a question. I had a small attack, and he got mad at me for acting weird. I had to try to explain what happened, and I was just really nervous.If nothing else, it helps to have people here who are exactly the same way because you often think you are the only one.

·
Registered
15 Posts
That is the worst, when you feel like whoever you are with does not understand the urgency of the situation. When you really have to go, nothing can go fast enough; all stoplights you come to are red, the car in front of you is going slow, if you're not driving, whoever is driving is going too slow, etc. It's a really bad situation!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have carried reusable ice cubes, and when I get anxious I rub them on my head, back of neck etc. I think the cold some how snaps me out of it a little. I keep them in a small cooler so they do not melt.Linda B

·
Registered
139 Posts
And with my luck if I am in a bank or grocery line, someone in front of me has a huge problem. Their debit card wont go through, they dont have an item with a price on it, so they call for a price check etc etc.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I do deep breathing with counting. I can't think about the ibs if I am thinking about numbers. I keep it simple. I consciously relax my muscles. At one point I had a large size coffee can with a lid and a roll of tissue in it kept in my car in case of emergency. I never had to use it. But it was there just in case. I guess if I had to I could pull off the side of the road and go in the can...lol. I guess I would need privace glass too...lol. Just thinking about it makes me laugh. Although it sure isnt funny when you are sitting there stuck in traffic holding it in. Buy a relaxation tape that you can play in the car but one that doesnt knock you out.Reena

G

·
Oh Joanne - been there, got the t-shirt. I used to have to take my 2 oldest kids a 44 round trip journey to their school (on split sites, just to complicate matters!!) and whenever I got to Jack (my son's school) and stopped there, sounds crazy but it was on a slight incline and something about waiting there did something to my bowels and I was always desperate!! Luckily there is a Sainsbugs nearby so I could dive in there. I don't have a magic solution, desperately trying to take my mind off it partly did the trick (where would we be without Terry Wogan [ sorry, I'm an old bag of 42])!!All the bestSue, Manchester

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm a younger old bag at 34 and I too listen Terry - rather loud if it's a bad morning - if the news is on I have to sing something stupid like "zipadeydudah". I also use backs rescue remedy and have been known to swig down a mouthful - instead of the usual 4 drops
I def feel worse when I perseve traffic to be busy, and i'm stuck on the school run.It could be worse - I used to have to walk everywhere and there are no toilets at all the route we have to go

·
Registered
12 Posts
What helped me with this was actually experiencing the dreaded situation of not being able to wait and realising it wasn't as awful as I thought. Obviously a bit easier to cope with when you're in the car on your own though!A plastic bag at hand to slide underneath you to protect your poor seat, a long coat or something for the quick dash from the car to the house/fast food toilet and a change of clothes in the car really do wonders for setting your mind at ease a bit. I actually find telling myself "if the worst happens it doesn't matter" has made me relax and be able to regain control until I make it to a bathroom.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have this problem all the time too. My job takes me to different places every week and generaly I won't know the areas.I've jumped over walls into fields before, or pulled up on the motorway and ran up the banking behind the bushes.Pubs are a godsend when driving through little towns etc, as are fast food places.The one thing that makes me worse than anything are road works - especially when they force you onto the other carriage way in single file and there is nowhere to stop!Deep breathing and turning the radio on loud helps. Also I find that putting the heat up high calms me down a bit (confort-zone maybe?)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Wow. There really is nothing worse than being stuck in traffic when you have got to go. I usually find songs that I know and I sing along to them and that can relax me sometimes - I just try to put my whole concentration on that song.I always try to tell myself that I'm in control - I'm using the hypnotherapy tapes now and I'm hoping they will help - they seem to help me calm down a little so far. But, even before using them I always just tried to tell myself that I could never totally loose control - that if I had to jump out of the car and run to some place with a bathroom I could, or I could drive through grass/yards if nesscary...I mean, I'd just tell myself anything to get through the situation.Also, it helps me a lot if I am the one driving. I mean, it's different if I'm sitting in the same spot and not moving for a while but as long as I am the one driving, I am concentrating on the road and not so much on my stomach. (Ironically, I still hate to drive, even though it helps.)So, I pretty much avoid cartrips if I can. Especially if I don't know where any bathrooms are. I guess that's kind of like letting the IBS win, but I just can't help it, it's too hard to deal with.Oh, I'm not as bad at this now, but I always used to take a hoodie or some extra peice of clothing with me wherever I went in case I didn't make it, so I could wrap it around my waist if I needed to...which I never did, but it made me feel a little better about the whole situation.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
I have always found that being "prepared" has helped to ease my anxiety while traveling.I always have a plastic trash bag that I can sit on in the event of an accident. On long trips I bring a change of clothes, wet wipes and my peppermint altoids.I have NEVER had an accident yet, but just knowing that I have these things available eases the stress of being stuck in my vehicle and unable to get to a bathroom.Jeanne

·
Registered
441 Posts
You know, you can use those plastic bags for little toilets too...if you have time and room in your car.YOu can buy these things called "wag bags" that are a little all in one kit...big bag with powdery stuff that soaks up liquid, a wipe---like one would do it..lol...and the disposalbag with a zip lock top.(They all come in the zip lock one)When I take trips and am feeling not real "steady" before I go...I put the passenger seat all the way up..and have room behind it if need be.Only done it a very few times in the 18 years I've had this...but again, it is reassuring, and if you can arrange to "go" in a bag-it sure saves your clothes!p.s. I avoid car travel with anybody but my family and a few close friends...it's just not worth it to me...but I drive a lot by myself and don't worry much about thingsOh- the place I found the wagbags was from Camp-Mor...it's a camping outlet catalog. I posted on another BB about themJeanne

·
Registered
222 Posts
Wow, glad I am not alone. I drive 120 km one way to work on major highway and know every bathroom and bush enroute. That said, traffic often makes it impossible to get to quickly and that is when the anxiety starts. My coping methods over the 20+ years I have been doing it:- When traffic starts to get heavy, move to the lane closest to the shoulder. You feel more in control and less trapped. - Deep breathing with counts is an excellent exercise.- Drive alone whenever you can (or with understanding people) I could carpool but choose not to.- Always carry Kleenex with you (less obvious than toilet paper) and a plastic bag.- Opening the front and back passenger doors (when parked) offers some privacy if really needed. - Practise mind games with the time. eg: I know I can wait for 15 minutes because if I was in a store and had to leave thats how long it would take to get home, or You know you can last until the next commercial in a good movie. - I always have immodium in my pocket and don't hesitate to take one if I feel bad cramps. They usually subside some what within 20 minutes. And finally try some humour,, I have often 'in my mind' designed the perfect IBS car !! Seat flips up to provide access to a toilet with a holding tank beside the muffler which cooks the poop and turns it to dust. Did I mention the dark tinted "on demand" windows or the finger washbasin and soap dispenser in place of ash tray and lighter, toilet tissue holder in the console. Then of course there would be the cone of silence for the times you are travelling with others !!. - - I know it is not funny but that is how I cope and you have to admit there are endless possibilities for our comfort.. Could be a big seller for the first Car Maker that gets onboard.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I started taking Ativan before long car trips. I only take them then because they can be addictive and I have a prescription from my Doctor. Its helped me soo much. I'm sick of trying to cope all the time. They relax me enough and don't space me out. I can sit and stare out the window and daydream like I used to. I also am prepared with plastic bags, toilet paper, wipes and a change of close but luckily, I"ve never had to use them.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have been there too!! I have actually used the trash bag before with my boyfriend driving. I had a Jeep Grand Cherokee and I jumped over the passenger seat and wedged myself down behind it. I had liquid D and the bag was a Godsend!! Except for I am not so slick as I thought and my elbow got caught on the window button and the window rolled down on me, but luckily the window only rolls down halfway and they were pretty tinted. We still have a laugh about that one to this day. I do not go anywhere without my trash bag, Dollar store baby wipes, and a change of clothes. Sometimes Tom gets mad at me because I would rather go in a bag or try to wait until I get home when I have an attack when we are out, but I think that that mostly comes from the associated panic I usually get, my first instinct is always to run for comfort. Or maybe I am just crazy??

1 - 20 of 107 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.