Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would appreciate some help on how to gain weight. I'm 5 fo9ot 2 and now weigh 135 I started at 173 (I know, a bit chubby). The doctor says I am not abosrbing my food and it seems to go straight through me. I do have reflux so I can't eat greasy, fried, fatty, carbonated drinks, mexican, italian (no tomatoes), etc. I'm getting awfully tired of oatmeal, cream of wheat and Ensure. Milk and dairy seems to give me diahrrea so I could be lactose intolerant. Goes anybody have any ideas? I can't afford to loose much more.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
it's been a battle for a few of us here, gaining back weight or, more importantly, for some of us, absorbing our food properly. almondbutter is good to try: good for you, easy to digest, and heavy in the calories. also, soymilk, if you can handle it. eat several small meals throughout the day.I'm 5'8" and won't tell you how little I weigh (nor, especially, how little I weighed before I finally gained several pounds back!).

G

·
genny, can you handle carbs?How about baked potatoes, pasta, bagels?Maybe even a good steak once a week or so....------------------Color Rainbows in the Rain

·
Registered
109 Posts
genny,watch out for carbs as they tend to increase the 'big D' as we call it in my house. Below is a list of foods that are usually more gentle to the tummy (intestines) and will give you some weight. I am a little curious about how much weight was lost and in what time period? I just went through a 'bout' that caused me to lose 15 pounds total in less than 3 months (I am 5-4 and started at a weight of 110). I ended up taking Lotronex and anti-D's to get everything back together.Here is the list:AvacadoRiceHamburger Patty (broiled)butter (even lactose intolerants should be able to handle this - small dose at first)cooked veggies (I find asparagus to be gentle)Honeycooked friut (apples in the micro - I lived on this for a few weeks - 5 mins on high, then add honey to taste)Peanut butter or any nut butter if you can handle it.Let us know how you do.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I started out at 173 (a bit chubby) for 5 foot 2 in Septmber and now weigh 135. I didn't loose it overnight and the doctor says I'm loosing because I'm not eating. I have no appetite because everything seems to either go straight threw me or give me diahrrea or constipation. I'm on protonix 40 mg a day for reflux. Hope they figure this out soon. He's testing now for fat stool which I believe also measures how you absorb your nutrients, parasites, and that kind of thing.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I am 5'7 and WAS 97lbs I am now at 116lbsI take bentyl for D , drink Ensure Plus (has no lactose or dairy) and I am also on a drug for bi-polar wich the side effects is gaining weight its called Zyprexa , it doesnt make ya weird or anything the only thing it has done for me is weight gain.

·
Registered
6,709 Posts
Hi Genny:Hi. Assuming you are on or will be on a program of some sort to minimiz your UBS symptoms and keep the ingested substances in the bowle long enough to be digested and absorbed, the simplest concept of gaining weight is to:1. find out how many calories you are consuming at your present weight2. consume more and do it from sources that do not aggravate your symptoms.There are on the market several simple food analyst programs an/or pocket databases for the purpose of anlyzing nutrient intake.Get one, log your intake a few days, see your average consumption, then cruise the database for high calory dense foods you like that do not aggravate your sympotms then incorporate enough into your diet to jack your caloric intake 300-500 per day.IF your absorbtion is normalized, unless their is pathology (in the gut or thyroid for example) the body has a form of "caloristat" that will allow our weight to move up and down within a narrow range either way about 10% before certain things occur to alter metabolism to stay in that +/- 10% range accoridng to some recent articles I read.One program I like because it is easy to use (if it is stil available) Is the Personal Food Analyst from MIRICAL Corp. of Colorado Springs. They had SQW for your PC and a little pocket unit self contained you could buy. I do not know if they are still around but check your search engine...there are several.have a DFDMNL_________________ www.leapallergy.com [This message has been edited by Mike NoLomotil (edited 02-05-2001).]

·
Registered
880 Posts
I had a similar thing happen. I weighed 190 (a chubby 5'6") and now weight 133. I dodn't stop eating, it's just that my eating habits changed drastically. I now eat bananas, applesauce, chicken, rice, etc. instead of chips and soda and such. I do have to keep an eye on what I eat to make sure I have enough calories. You might want to try keeping a notebook with everything you eat, adding up the calories at the end of the day, and monitor how many more calories you need to eat and where you can make improvements on your diet. I think maybe if you added some protein you'd not only stop losing, but you might actually feel better too. I eat a little more protein than the normal person and feel so much better when I do. Try boneless, skinless chicken, steak (spend a little extra for very lean, low-fat cuts of meat), albacore tuna, that kind of thing. Of course, everyone is different... but hopefully you can find what works for you.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I'm even more underweight. I'm only 71 pounds at 5'2", and I'm an 18 year old male! I suffered anorexia-like symptoms a few years ago. I've started eating normally, but never gained any weight since I was never able to make up for what my body lost during that time. I can't handle more than 1000-1500 calories a day. Nuts are great. I don't do well with liquids; in fact, solid and dense foods tend to be less aggravating.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I dropped a dress size in 6 months, I can't seem to absorb anything out of my food either. I was a NZ size 8, now a 6 and its so hard to buy size NZ 6 clothes!!!!! I'm about 6 and a half stone (I don't know what that is in pounds).Lisa

·
Registered
61 Posts
I know exactly how you feel. I'm 5'6" and now way 130 lbs, which is about right, but before I got IBS I was 190 lbs, very over weight, I know. I dropped all the way down to 110 lbs. EEK. So what I started doing was, by taking my doc's advice, I began to take one or two Imodium before eating. That way, it keeps the food in you and you slowly gain weight back as well as absorbing more nutrients from food that our bodies need. Hope this works for you. :)

·
Registered
324 Posts
Hi-I also have problems gaining weight and keeping it on, even before IBS. However, it has become much more of an issue since getting IBS-D 18 months ago.I think that the first thing you need to do is make sure that nothing else is causing your weight loss besides IBS. It sounds like your doc is pretty certain that your weight loss is because you are not eating and not because of an organic disease. That's good news!So, you just need to get your appetite back and slow down your system so you retain more food (I know - easier said than done!). Here are some helpful hints - 1.) Find something that slows down the D - try caltrate, immodium, hypnotherapy, tricyclic antidepressants - until you find the magic pill or combo that lessens the D.2.) Once your D is better, your appetite will start to increase.3.) Make yourself eat a reasonable amount each day at each meal - even if you are not hungy and/or even if you are scared. Just tell yourself that eating is not causing your problem. The problem is your gut. And you have to eat to live!4.) Once you start eating more, your stomach will "expand" and your appetite will increase naturally.5.) Don't eliminate multiple food groups from your diet unless you are sure that they cause YOU problems. I went through a long phase of not eating dairy, then not eating wheat and dairy, and then fructose because various people suggested to me that I might be intolerant to them and to give these things up. My symptoms did not change, and I just lost weight because there wasn't much left to eat. I have added all of those things back to my diet and have been better than before. So don't let someone else tell you what your trigger foods are.6.)Take vitamin supplements if you are not absorbing enough nutrients or your diet is imbalanced. Make sure to take calcium if you don't eat dairy. Take a multi that is easy to absorb and digest. I take Flinstones for that reason (my father-in-law is a pediatrician and he says that they are easy on the stomach. They taste good too!)7.) Here are some items that I eat to increase my caloric intake - lots of fruit juice (lots of good calories if you can tolerate fructose), occasional soft drinks, ensure plus, peanut butter and jelly, grilled cheese sandwiches, dip bread in olive oil if you can not tolerate butter, use mayo, guacomole (yum!), ice cream, an occasional steak, and don't pass up dessert -try donuts, pralines, key lime pie, and my current favorite, beignets! My husband is mad because he is trying to lose weight, and I have cooked up a batch of beignets every afternoon for the past 4 days! Once you get your appetite back, this "assignment" is not so bad
8.)Don't obsess about your weight! Don't weigh yourself 3 times a day. Tell yourself that it will take awhile to gain weight just like it takes awhile to lose weight. 9.) Check a medical chart for what is an appropraite amount to weigh for your height, age, and sex. This will either reassure you or give you a reasonable goal for yourself. For instance, it sounds like you would be well within the healthy weight range for an adult 5'2" female. So you should probably just pat yourself on the back and relax!I hope that this is helpful. Gosh, I am sorry that this is so long, but I have spent a lot of time worrying about this too. Good luck!

G

·
OOPS, sorry about suggesting carbs. You see, most carbs DO NOT trigger D for me, so I forget that they are a huge trigger for lots of us!!!I have the opposite issue, I have GAINED 45 pounds in the last year, even though I have HUGE D attacks!!

G

·
To Partypooper- I was fascinated my your post of how you added back wheat,and dairy back to your diet. Could you share with me how you went about doing that - gradually? or on at a time. I too have cut out all dairy and wheat- and can't say that my gas situation is any better. even with Probiotics. Yes, I do not have that much of an appetite and have lost about 8lbs- though I was thin to begin with and did not need to lose. I tried to substitute soy yogurt and I really got nausea from that. I really miss some low fat cheese, and real yogurt but have not touched it in three months.- Would really appreciate your input on this.Thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.