Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is one of biggest fears when I have a BM, even if I'm at home. I'm so worried that the toilet won't flush and a plumber will have to come or something with my deposit sitting there the entire time for all the world to see

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Friski, this has been my worry too. The last two rented places I've lived, the toilets have broken down on the worst IBS mornings. So I kind of had to get over my fear rather than thinking life is out to get me!The way to deal with a toilet that won't flush is this: Fill a bucket with water and pour it steadily (not too slowly) into the toilet bowl. The force of the water will push the contents of the toilet down the pipes and away. My mum taught me this a couple of months ago, and she learnt it when on honeymoon in Algeria where none of the toilets would flush. I was skeptical at first, but it does work!------------------susanIBS D/C type & M.E/CFS

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Friski, this has been my worry too. The last two rented places I've lived, the toilets have broken down on the worst IBS mornings. So I kind of had to get over my fear rather than thinking life is out to get me!The way to deal with a toilet that won't flush is this: Fill a bucket with water and pour it steadily (not too slowly) into the toilet bowl. The force of the water will push the contents of the toilet down the pipes and away. My mum taught me this a couple of months ago, and she learnt it when on honeymoon in Algeria where none of the toilets would flush. I was skeptical at first, but it does work!------------------susanIBS D/C type & M.E/CFS

·
Registered
840 Posts
wouldn't it be great to have a plumber,a dentist, a lawyer, a doctor, a mechanic and an electician in the family? Two husbands would be nice also, one to babysit the kids while you go out with one. while i'm add it they could be both millionaires!!

·
Registered
840 Posts
wouldn't it be great to have a plumber,a dentist, a lawyer, a doctor, a mechanic and an electician in the family? Two husbands would be nice also, one to babysit the kids while you go out with one. while i'm add it they could be both millionaires!!

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
LMAO!! Oh yeah been there! Every winter, we must have an uncovered pipe somewhere. Every morning the pipes freeze. So you only get ONE flush, and then it won't work again till the water goes back on. Well my husband has been known to make it in the bathroom first, and use the one flush! Of course that is when IBS strikes!! Thankfully we have two bathrooms, so when this happens I close the lid and tell no one to go in there till the water is back on! LOL It's horrible though! That is just the worse!Jennifer

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
LMAO!! Oh yeah been there! Every winter, we must have an uncovered pipe somewhere. Every morning the pipes freeze. So you only get ONE flush, and then it won't work again till the water goes back on. Well my husband has been known to make it in the bathroom first, and use the one flush! Of course that is when IBS strikes!! Thankfully we have two bathrooms, so when this happens I close the lid and tell no one to go in there till the water is back on! LOL It's horrible though! That is just the worse!Jennifer

·
Registered
345 Posts
This technique is learned really quickly when you have an well (electric pumps) and live in an area where there are power failures.The power goes out and it isn't you who is dead in the water.Where does one get the water when the pump isn't working? We have a garbage pail filled with water on our porch. That won't work for you in the north but our southern winters have only succeeded in freezing the top and sides a small amount. It is convenient to a downspout as a backup source of water-- power around here tends to fail during storms.

·
Registered
345 Posts
This technique is learned really quickly when you have an well (electric pumps) and live in an area where there are power failures.The power goes out and it isn't you who is dead in the water.Where does one get the water when the pump isn't working? We have a garbage pail filled with water on our porch. That won't work for you in the north but our southern winters have only succeeded in freezing the top and sides a small amount. It is convenient to a downspout as a backup source of water-- power around here tends to fail during storms.

G

·
Yes, the bucket method works great. For a while we in FLorida were under a water restriction, so I kept a bucket near by, and filled it when I turned on the shower. No need to let all that way go down the drain until it warms up. The ole' bucket has been a tried and true method for me. A full bucket poured into the toilet bowl will flush away just about anyting in the bowl.------------------Brenda S, R.N.This too shall pass !Although I am a nurse, nothing I say here should be taken as medical advice, its only personal experience. See your own doctor for any medical questions & answers.

G

·
Yes, the bucket method works great. For a while we in FLorida were under a water restriction, so I kept a bucket near by, and filled it when I turned on the shower. No need to let all that way go down the drain until it warms up. The ole' bucket has been a tried and true method for me. A full bucket poured into the toilet bowl will flush away just about anyting in the bowl.------------------Brenda S, R.N.This too shall pass !Although I am a nurse, nothing I say here should be taken as medical advice, its only personal experience. See your own doctor for any medical questions & answers.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I've gotten pretty handy at fixing many toilet problems myself...I've even been known to fix the toilet in a public restroom so it'll flush my deposit
Often a part inside the tank isn't working properly, and even if it needs replaced, you can mimic its function yourself until you get to the hardware store.I remember someone on here mentioning an idea that I thought was good...an improvement on the "use a bucket" idea, for when the toilet is completely out of commission. Put a heavy-duty (black) garbage bag in the bucket, and go into the bag... I haven't had to use this method yet, thank goodness, but it seemed like a lot less of a mess than using a plain old bucket. One of those simple things I might have never thought of...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.