Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got some Ezekial bread today; it tastes great!I'm following the discussion of acidopholous with interest. With respect to the notion that everyone's IBS is individual, I am interested in knowing what nutrition supplements, herbal remedies, etc. you all would consider essentials for the IBS sufferers? Are peppermint, ginger, fennel in there anywhere?Thanks,M-Lee

·
Registered
6,922 Posts
Hi M-Lee:I don't take any herbal supplements that I feel are essential to ibs, although I do take a few for general purposes: gingko, evening primrose, COQ10. I do take Caltrate Calcium and a multi-vitamin. I use Perdiem as a fiber supplement. I also take Culturelle, a probiotic.Other than that, the most important thing for me is to eat a high fiber diet, which I get mainly from whole grains, fruits and veggies.There are other people here that take more herbs than I do, and I'm sure you'll hear from them.
JeanG

·
Registered
80 Posts
My hubby is a C type.. The essentials in his life are Acidophillus ( even I take that)his multivitamin Metamucil wafers (which they do taste good) Perdeim (The brown bottle) Now for teas he finds Peppermint and Gingertwist teas to be a soothing thing for his tummy during bad times And bottled water!! He actually find that the walmart Clearly American water helps him the most.. It is a carbonated water (which still puzzles me but it seems to help him) and it is flavored The one we have in the house the most is the strawberry banana Ok I think I gave you his shopping list I hope it helps Sheila------------------SPOUSE of IBS/C typeNo-one can choose your mountain or tell you when to climb.. It is yours alone to challenge at your own pace and time - Patricia J.Hacker-Harber

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I am on a herbal fibre supplement that has prodieum in it. I am also on calcium with magnesium, vitamin B and essential minerals. I take a Red Clover mix which is supposed to herbally cleanse you and a dandelion mix for energy. I am really only on 2 herbals the rest of the stuff is vitamins and minerals. I am also on a restricted diet of no white flour, only cane sugar and no cheese. I think the diet has helped the most. I am predominantely C (hope I spelled that right) and find that things are working well.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fiber Choice. Awesome stuff. Works better than any other bulk laxative I have ever tried. Spasms, pain, urgency, D, all 99% gone.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Not for IBS, but for other conditions, where IBS precludes other treatments. For instance, I have a terrible cold that's been going around my office. This means that I can't breathe through my nose, and since I'm not allowed any stimulants, that means no sudafed, nyquil, or even all-natural ephedra. So right now, while typing, I'm sipping on Gypsy Cold Care tea, by Traditional Medicinals... ingredients:Menthol extracted from peppermint leaf, Rose Hips, Cinnamon Bark, Yarrow Flower, Ginger, Safflower Petal, Elder Flower, Clove Stem, Hyssop, and Licorice root.From my book-knowledge of herbs, I'd say that the peppermint, cinnamon, ginger, and clove are for the stuffy nose, hyssop for cough, and licorice for sore throat. And probably Rose hips because they have vitamin c. I don' know about the elder, yarrow, or safflower. It is clearing out my sinuses a bit, though, and the peppermint and ginger are soothing to my tummy, which always gets a little upset when I have a cold.------------------JennT

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Island Girl,Are those all for stomach health/IBS? Or general health?Thanks for all the great replies! As I said, I'm loving the Ezekial Bread; it's only $3 something a loaf here.M-Lee

·
Registered
188 Posts
M-Lee,They are all to help cellular repair(exc. psyllium-for fiber only). It's all connected. From all the studies I've read, these supplements have all been proven to enhance protection against free radicals- which harm cells, which means tissues, which means organs. Many people think antioxidants are jsut to protect ag. cancer-not so!I'm free and I'm radical, but that doesn't mean I want free radicals in there doing any more damage!!!I also stick to recommended amts, because it is possible to take too many supps--which can bring on a whole new set of problems.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
I only have two supplement-type things that I rely on regularly after having tried all sorts of things:1. Traditional Medicinals Eater's Digest tea (which includes both peppermint and fennel plus other stuff).2. Natrol brand Digest Support enzymes.I do have a little yogurt on occasion too, but the tea is the best thing I've found so far.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.