Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure this question has been raised a few times already.It, however, doesn't cease to intrigue me. What do we consider to be an IBS "attack" ???As I wrote somewhere before, IBS is not like migraine or asthma where you know you have an attack and that, once this clearly defined attack goes away, you're fine again. IBS is more of a constant state of your intestines and your mind, where every little move, every little fart, every little nice thought, every little bad thought, every little physical move, every little food bite, and thousands other different things, can change your condition for a second, minute, or a whole day. I may be fine one second, then, feeel crampy and gassy the next second, then feel fine again, or, perhaps, even worse. IBS, for me, changes, from second to second, minute to minute. So, what is really an "IBS attack" for you? I can see that violent diarrhea can be considered a "real attack", but many of us do not get "violent diarrhea". Do you consider to have an attack if you feel crappy more than, let's say, 25% of your day? Or....?

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Personally, an attack is the D. When I am C, it's more of a non-issue for me, meaning it desn't interfere with anything until maybe the 4th or 5th day if it goes that long (usually I am cured with the "D"). I guess I don't consider the gassy, crampy feelings to be an attack. If it's fairly constant, meaning I feel like this at least daily, then I say I am going through a bad period. I think the ansswer will depend on the person and hwo their IBS manifests itself. One thing I've learned on this board is that there is never one size fits all with IBS.nancy

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
well, that particular bout of C is "cured"
I don't recommend it of course!! That's why although I used to look forward to those days of C as the calm days, I now think of them as a as big a problem as D and try to deal with it all.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I consider an attack the days you dont feel like walking thru the mall becuase you may have the big "c"... For instance today I feel the need to go but cant which means at some point in the near future I am going to get a good book and sit upon the thrown...Not Something I like To Do At The Mall!!!!!

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
For me an attack is feeling crampy and a real lot of loud gurgling sounds--then with a few minutes a bowel movement that may be halfway normal, get off the pot , think you are done--but look out here comes more cramps, more loud gurgling, and the s*** hits the fan. 10 or more visits to the toliet with one more loose than the other!!Now you just feel like ####, tired, stomach pain, flu like symptoms. Sit onthe couch or lie in bed with the hot water bottle on your gut,What a lousy life

·
Registered
249 Posts
I use to have very violent attacks.I would wake up in the middle of the night with cramps that were so painfull that I would have to crawl to the bathroom. I once ripped the towel holder off the wall. After a little while of giving birth to nothing I would eventually pass out. When I wake up I would vomit. Then I would finally go to the bathroom. This could last anywhere from an hour to 5 hours. As soon as its done I would sleep for hours.Thats what an attack feels like to me.I used to have one once a week. But ever since I started useing magnessium my bowel movements have become more regular and I havent had an attack in a while. I think before the summer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
For me an attack is an "episode" that takes me out of commission for more than an hour or two - something that requires me to call my husband at work and ask him to come home to manage the kids/meals/homework/etc. Most "episodes" are accompanied by intense leg/groin pain making it imposible to walk or even roll over in bed, so I'm pretty useless around the house.

G

·
An attack for me is a sudden drain of energy, cramping in the lower intesines with "rolling/rumbling" sounds, breaking out in a sweat, heart pounding,occasionally nausea, Leg pain in thighs, tons of trapped gas, sometimes immediate D - tremendous relief - but if severly C attack could last until I do something like take an enema. I crawl into a hot tub of water after the episode and find relief of muscle pain in legs and stomach. Then, I immediately have to crawl into bed and stay for a while until I can get some energy back. Still, I am thankful IBS is not a life threatening experience. Just depressing.

·
Registered
35 Posts
An attack for me starts with an uncomfortable feeling in my throat/chest area - then a horrible burping starts (horrific odor - like sulfar - I'll vomit up stomach contents and then the gurgling will start - will feel lots of popping and movement in my intestines - I'll go to sleep like this - when I wake - all that backed up gas passes and I'll have a D - well if pasty is considered D - Its that same deal every time - takes 12-18 hours to get through it - God I hope they find a cure for this.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.