Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you have to use the restroom on a public bus really bad, what can/do you do?I'm starting a surgical technology program in September, and I'm 18. I already have trouble enough navigating through my own city during the daytime LOL, let alone going downtown every morning at 6am.So, I figured maybe I'd ride the bus instead, but what if I have problems while I'm on the bus? Will the driver let you off if it's really bad (of course, not while you're on the highway etc, i just mean when you're around buildings and there are places to walk)

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Amercian Patriot You could call the bus company and ask what their policy is regarding stopping in between schedule stops for bathroom emergencies. If they allow stopping..then I would look for public rest rooms available at that hour along your bus route.Also you have quite a bit of time before then to learn different ways to manage your symptoms.. so think positively... maybe you won't need those stops! So start looking at what you can do to manage your D. Have you tried the Calcium Carbonate supplements? And/Or how about using imodium.. if one tab is too much... cut them in half or 1/4's. I usually take them preventatively with my larger meals. But.. I have D everyday.. you might not and may not need as much.Of course tweaking your diet to be as healthy as possible will only serve you well also. But I must applaud you for going after your dream no matter what.. despite IBS. You are an inspiration to others and I wish you all the very best!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much for the support and suggestions, but I am humbled by your compliments... I simply do the best I can for myself and others, like most.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Sorry to be the negative one as usual but I wouldn't use the bus if I was worried about needing the toilet urgently while on it. That's why I won't use any public transport at all. At least if you are in control you can stop when you need to without anyone asking any questions. I won't even take any passengers in my car. I think it is probably to be prepared incase the situation arises. If you can't drive yourself then as BQ says taking a diarrhea preventative would help a great deal and I would also suggest ringing the bus company for information etc... I always find that immodiums are the best for stopping diarrhea. For me I prefer to be prepared for if it happens rather than thinking it might not. Good luck with your new course.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
The buses I've taken have frequent stops (other than the express bus) and they have a strip to press if you need the bus to stop at the next stop. Everyone pushes the strip to signal a stop is needed so you wouldn't look out of place pressing it.The ones where I work usually don't stop if no one is waiting at the stop or no one signals the bus that is their stop. But everyone has to signal for when they need a stop. Now they have a few stops that are the "get back on schedule" stops so when they get ahead they will always stop there and wait until the scheduled leaving time. Usually those are major stops where it is safe to sit for a bit. Other than those stops, if there is no reason to stop, they don't. So basically everyone is in the "I have to tell it to stop" boat, so you won't look at all out of place pushing the "please stop at the next stop" signaling device.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Actually now that I remember back (some almost 30 yrs ago when I was your age Amer Pat...lol) we did the same thing as Kathleen on a City Bus.. Just pulled the buzzer string to get off. I hope your buses work the same way there!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.