Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is not an unfamiliar event for me... I told my waiter this afternoon that I cannot have dairy or gluten, then asked about two soups.. asked him to ask the chef if either contained Gluten or Dairy. Was served the carrot soup, told it had neither... only to re-question and find out it did indeed have butter in it. (good thing I only took 1 slurp before my intuition kicked in). Then the chef proceeded to yell at me, he said that "Dairy means eggs and milk, not butter", and not to use the word dairy in the future. Really he was being a total jerk, considering I had asked the waiter to ask the chef, and also because I've always used the word dairy, and last because EGGS are POULTRY!
So my question is what do you say to the waiter when dining out with food intolerance?do you use the word allergy or intolerance?
And more importantly.... to those that are lactose intolerant....Do you say your lactose intolerant or dairy intolerant?I have been Lactose & Casein intolerant from birth and now have stopped eating anything containing Gluten as well since my doctor told me I was sensitive to it. Of course after living with IBS for the past 20 years, I'm willing to give up whatever's necessary to feel better (except wine).Would love to hear your opinions!!!!!!thanksCleodog

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
I think allergy is a better understood word and may be taken more seriously. I'd call it an allergy.And people do have differing definitions of things so a list of milk, butter, cream may be better than using categories that may be interpreted differently by different people.I've always believed butter was dairy since it comes from dairy cows and you used to buy it from the dairy, but I must be confused.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I don't say anything to the waiter but rather order what I KNOW does not have any dairy.I stick to the meat, baked potatoes and steamed veggies.Pretty boring maybe, but better chance of it being safe.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
First, I wouldn't visit that particular restaurant again. Secondly.. I would make it your business to find out what meals typically contain dairy & gluten and not completely rely on the restaurant or their staff to know this. Any thick & cream soups, obviously, will have butter and may in deed also have flour.... as most are roux based.. and a roux consists of butter & wheat flour usually. (Same with gravy etc.. so obviously you are better off with clearer soups or broths and skipping the gravy _ ask for it on the side) You are better off telling them you can't eat dairyThirdly...keep your eye out for restaurants that cater to folks with intolerances or don't mind substitutions.For the record.. dairy is anything that contains milk or milk fat or milk proteins.Also you may be well served using something to prevent your symptoms (Like a preventative imodium or 1/2 of one..or of course.. some lactaid tabs which you should probably take as a matter of course anyway etc... ) in case something in a restaurant meal contains a trigger for you.All the best

·
Registered
63 Posts
My issues aren't IBS-D, but rather IBS-C but I can certainly relate to the topic of eating at restaurants. It does help to know your triggers (dairy, cheese, gluten, etc) and make the substitutions. Also if you are going out to eat with family and friends, suggest other restaurants where your digestive issues won't be a factor. For example...If I am having a big flare up of constipation I will say something like "anywhere but Pizza Hut" or something like that...or if we absolutely must go somewhere where the food might make me constipated, I will make a joke and say "that's why they make laxatives"

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.