Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sitting at work suffering from major heartburn. I am drinking peppermint tea and I took MIlk of Magnesia lastnight and this morning.What else should I be doing???

·
Registered
568 Posts
If your heartburn is occasional then tums or rolaids should help.Tums have calium in them and I think rolaids have a lot of sodium so those are things to look out for depending onyour health. If it is more than two or three times a week, you might want to try OTC zantac etc.. More than that, see a doctor. Question: Does MOM help heartburn? I thought it was for constipation. Pepto Bismol used to help my heartburn and soothe my stomach but I am way beyond that now. I have GERD and take Prevacid.

·
Registered
568 Posts
If your heartburn is occasional then tums or rolaids should help.Tums have calium in them and I think rolaids have a lot of sodium so those are things to look out for depending onyour health. If it is more than two or three times a week, you might want to try OTC zantac etc.. More than that, see a doctor. Question: Does MOM help heartburn? I thought it was for constipation. Pepto Bismol used to help my heartburn and soothe my stomach but I am way beyond that now. I have GERD and take Prevacid.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Peppermint may be bothersome if you are having heartburn as it can relax the spincter at the top of the stomach so sometimes it does more bad than good.Generally for heartburn OTC there are two main approaches.Antacids (tums, rolaids, maalox, and milk of mag is also an antacid as well as a laxative--If you have constipation it is probably better to stick to the magnesium based ones as they loosen stools, Calcium containing ones tend to be constipating).If the antacids aren't helping much I would try one of the OTC H-2 (histamine) blocking drugs. Tagament, Pepcid, Zantac and see if one of those helps. They tend to be more of a take before a meal kinda thing rather than immediate relief like the antacids are, but can sometimes give you better control as your one step closer to the source of the acid rather than putting out the flames (so to speak) after the fires got going good.K.------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Peppermint may be bothersome if you are having heartburn as it can relax the spincter at the top of the stomach so sometimes it does more bad than good.Generally for heartburn OTC there are two main approaches.Antacids (tums, rolaids, maalox, and milk of mag is also an antacid as well as a laxative--If you have constipation it is probably better to stick to the magnesium based ones as they loosen stools, Calcium containing ones tend to be constipating).If the antacids aren't helping much I would try one of the OTC H-2 (histamine) blocking drugs. Tagament, Pepcid, Zantac and see if one of those helps. They tend to be more of a take before a meal kinda thing rather than immediate relief like the antacids are, but can sometimes give you better control as your one step closer to the source of the acid rather than putting out the flames (so to speak) after the fires got going good.K.------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

G

·
I drink alot of Peppermint tea too, and find it good. I find the best medicine for Heartburn is 'Andrew's salts'It comes in powder formthat you put in a glass of water. I am in the U.K so I don't know if you can get this in other countries, but it really is the best!

G

·
I drink alot of Peppermint tea too, and find it good. I find the best medicine for Heartburn is 'Andrew's salts'It comes in powder formthat you put in a glass of water. I am in the U.K so I don't know if you can get this in other countries, but it really is the best!

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
For a quick fix if you don't have much medication accessible, try mixing 1/2 cup (4 oz.) water with 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda. This is a popular heartburn remedy.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
For a quick fix if you don't have much medication accessible, try mixing 1/2 cup (4 oz.) water with 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda. This is a popular heartburn remedy.

·
Registered
546 Posts
helloi dont get heartburn often, but when i do usually tums or rolaids works. the best way to prevent heartburn for me is to not eat anything within 1-2 hours of laying down/sleeping, and to stay away from soda (which i stay away from for other reasons as well).
jj

·
Registered
546 Posts
helloi dont get heartburn often, but when i do usually tums or rolaids works. the best way to prevent heartburn for me is to not eat anything within 1-2 hours of laying down/sleeping, and to stay away from soda (which i stay away from for other reasons as well).
jj

G

·
I take prilosec once a day and now there no heartburn in my life. I was chronic with heartburn every day. I too RX Axid which worked pretty good for up to 12 hours, I took the axid for a long time but the prilosec has been the elixer I have searched for. No Sides either!!

G

·
I take prilosec once a day and now there no heartburn in my life. I was chronic with heartburn every day. I too RX Axid which worked pretty good for up to 12 hours, I took the axid for a long time but the prilosec has been the elixer I have searched for. No Sides either!!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Some people have a struggle with the drugs in the "acid reducer" category.These are Tagamet, Pepcid AC and Zantac over the counter (by prescription just a few years ago),andPrevacid (lansoprazol) and Prilosec (omeprazol) by prescription only.These drugs are very effective in shutting down acid production and relieving heartburn, particularly the latter two. In my experience with Prevacid and Tagamet, I have to use them at far less than rated dosage or the side effects become rather unpleasant, including: dry mouth, abdominal discomfort or pain, and feeling generally ill or "out of it". The side effects from Prevacid were quite intolerable.Right now I'm taking Tagamet 200 and splitting the tablets in half to get a tolerable dosage.I would be interested in finding out from others on the board if in their experience side effects are lower with any of the other drugs on the list.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Some people have a struggle with the drugs in the "acid reducer" category.These are Tagamet, Pepcid AC and Zantac over the counter (by prescription just a few years ago),andPrevacid (lansoprazol) and Prilosec (omeprazol) by prescription only.These drugs are very effective in shutting down acid production and relieving heartburn, particularly the latter two. In my experience with Prevacid and Tagamet, I have to use them at far less than rated dosage or the side effects become rather unpleasant, including: dry mouth, abdominal discomfort or pain, and feeling generally ill or "out of it". The side effects from Prevacid were quite intolerable.Right now I'm taking Tagamet 200 and splitting the tablets in half to get a tolerable dosage.I would be interested in finding out from others on the board if in their experience side effects are lower with any of the other drugs on the list.

·
Registered
92 Posts
hi pepcid ac is good and gavison and also the other stuff everyone has mentioned. i take prevacid whiich works good for me. but ofcourse everyone is different. just try to see what works best for you. hope you feel better soon

·
Registered
92 Posts
hi pepcid ac is good and gavison and also the other stuff everyone has mentioned. i take prevacid whiich works good for me. but ofcourse everyone is different. just try to see what works best for you. hope you feel better soon

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
FYIAntacids: (Tums, Alka-Seltzer, Milk of Magnesia, Maalox etc.). These medications, which contain sodium bicarbonate, calcium, magnesium, aluminum or a combination, use basic chemical reactions to neutralizing existing stomach acid.Sodium alginate or alginic acid with other antacid ingredients: (Gaviscon). This type of medication produces a foam barrier between the stomach and the esophagus to prevent acid from back-flowing into the esophagus.Promotility or prokinetic agents: (metoclopromide). This helps strengthen the valve that blocks acid from entering the esophagus by causing muscles in the upper intestinal tract to contract, resulting in a faster emptying of the stomach.H2 Blockers or histamine receptor antagonists: (Pepcid AC, Tagament HB, Axid AR, Zantac 75). These partially block the production of acid in stomach cells by inhibiting histamine, which stimulates the secretion of stomach acid.Proton pump inhibitors or acid pump inhibitors: (Prilosed, Prevacid, rabeproazole, pantoprazole). The newest development, these inhibit stomach acid production by deactivating the acid pumps (the site where the stomach acid is produced) in the stomach cells.I hope this explains some things to you about what drugs you may be taking and how they work.Take Care,Linda

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
FYIAntacids: (Tums, Alka-Seltzer, Milk of Magnesia, Maalox etc.). These medications, which contain sodium bicarbonate, calcium, magnesium, aluminum or a combination, use basic chemical reactions to neutralizing existing stomach acid.Sodium alginate or alginic acid with other antacid ingredients: (Gaviscon). This type of medication produces a foam barrier between the stomach and the esophagus to prevent acid from back-flowing into the esophagus.Promotility or prokinetic agents: (metoclopromide). This helps strengthen the valve that blocks acid from entering the esophagus by causing muscles in the upper intestinal tract to contract, resulting in a faster emptying of the stomach.H2 Blockers or histamine receptor antagonists: (Pepcid AC, Tagament HB, Axid AR, Zantac 75). These partially block the production of acid in stomach cells by inhibiting histamine, which stimulates the secretion of stomach acid.Proton pump inhibitors or acid pump inhibitors: (Prilosed, Prevacid, rabeproazole, pantoprazole). The newest development, these inhibit stomach acid production by deactivating the acid pumps (the site where the stomach acid is produced) in the stomach cells.I hope this explains some things to you about what drugs you may be taking and how they work.Take Care,Linda

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.