Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After much anxiety and with a lot of fear, I finally submitted an application/resume for a job.Someone called me back but I was too nervous to answer the phone at the time, plus I generally let the machine get it b/c of all the solicitors.SO... this job is in a call center! Technically it would be a breeze for me.I am just worried my IBS will flare up and I will be caught with an uncomfortable situtation needing RR trip(s) while I am needed.I suppose in a bind I could transfer to another employee or ask to call back a customer ( or some poor soul would get ~accidentally~ disconnected).I reeeeally need a job and income now and this is one of the few available office type jobs.Does anybody else work in that environment or have experience in it? I could say something in the interview about "what if" related to health(?)P.S. I already work taking calls and support at school but it is really low key and I am by no means tied to the desk...I really would appreciate your feedback. Thanks

·
Registered
675 Posts
Dear Sqonk:As I said in another post, I have a new rule that I am trying very hard to live by:"If it's going to make me nuts, I don't do it."Being "tied" to a desk would make me very anxious and ill. My advice would be to find a job less"confined." I really feel there is something out there in the job market more suited to your "condition." As a rule employers are more tolerant of health conditions once they know and like you and your work. Just going in, I would be leary about giving too much info.Hope this helps and does not discourage you. Only you know what you can tolerate.much love and light, mama-

·
Registered
675 Posts
Dear Sqonk:As I said in another post, I have a new rule that I am trying very hard to live by:"If it's going to make me nuts, I don't do it."Being "tied" to a desk would make me very anxious and ill. My advice would be to find a job less"confined." I really feel there is something out there in the job market more suited to your "condition." As a rule employers are more tolerant of health conditions once they know and like you and your work. Just going in, I would be leary about giving too much info.Hope this helps and does not discourage you. Only you know what you can tolerate.much love and light, mama-

G

·
Squonk: I took an interview today that sounds just like the one you are talking about.....I decided even if they offer it to me I can't take this one 'cause I am too confined!There has to be something out there for us...good luck in your search. I'm gonna keep searching too!Barbara

G

·
Squonk: I took an interview today that sounds just like the one you are talking about.....I decided even if they offer it to me I can't take this one 'cause I am too confined!There has to be something out there for us...good luck in your search. I'm gonna keep searching too!Barbara

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hi Squonk,I totally agree with Mamamia one both points. To tell an employer before you are hired is probably not a good idea. Once you are working somewhere they could be more understanding. Also, I work in an office but am not tied to the phone. I could never do that. I walk around as I please and go to the bathroom once a day or ten times nobody cares. Don't put yourself under more stress. Give it a chance and hopefully something better will come up for you but ofcourse this is your decision. Good luck.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hi Squonk,I totally agree with Mamamia one both points. To tell an employer before you are hired is probably not a good idea. Once you are working somewhere they could be more understanding. Also, I work in an office but am not tied to the phone. I could never do that. I walk around as I please and go to the bathroom once a day or ten times nobody cares. Don't put yourself under more stress. Give it a chance and hopefully something better will come up for you but ofcourse this is your decision. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I work in a Data Entry department and have free reign of the RR! Actually, we are required to be on the computer for a certain length of time. I was up front with my bosses about the IBS at the very beginning before they hired me and their attitude is that since we get paid for what we do, as long as I meet the average I can go back and forth to the toilet as often as I need to. Luckily for me I'm a really fast typist and my bonuses are near the top DESpite the IBS.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I work in a Data Entry department and have free reign of the RR! Actually, we are required to be on the computer for a certain length of time. I was up front with my bosses about the IBS at the very beginning before they hired me and their attitude is that since we get paid for what we do, as long as I meet the average I can go back and forth to the toilet as often as I need to. Luckily for me I'm a really fast typist and my bonuses are near the top DESpite the IBS.

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
Squonker... __________________________________"Someone called me back but I was too nervous to answer the phone at the time"an"SO... this job is in a call center!" ____________________________________Is it just me or does this got TROUBLE smeared all over it.I have run call centers, smaller ones 20-40 stations, and worked with large ones with hundreds of stations and, well, the word "boiler room" is not used for nothing.I am not sure from your post what the job is...if it is technical support (MIS maintenance or something) you should be OK as you would not be one of the "bangers". But if the job is working the phones you are going to be real uncomfortable real fast if you are a d-type.Res Ipsa Loquitur.On the other hand, if you are a C-type there is nothing like banging the phones and getting your head banged on by the manager to get your bowels moving in a hurry.
Hey, how's your cardiac health too?
Take an event monitor with you!MNL

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
Squonker... __________________________________"Someone called me back but I was too nervous to answer the phone at the time"an"SO... this job is in a call center!" ____________________________________Is it just me or does this got TROUBLE smeared all over it.I have run call centers, smaller ones 20-40 stations, and worked with large ones with hundreds of stations and, well, the word "boiler room" is not used for nothing.I am not sure from your post what the job is...if it is technical support (MIS maintenance or something) you should be OK as you would not be one of the "bangers". But if the job is working the phones you are going to be real uncomfortable real fast if you are a d-type.Res Ipsa Loquitur.On the other hand, if you are a C-type there is nothing like banging the phones and getting your head banged on by the manager to get your bowels moving in a hurry.
Hey, how's your cardiac health too?
Take an event monitor with you!MNL

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here's my update:I got the job. It's the only job I even applied for, mostly b/c I couldn't seem to find job ads that I thought I was qualified for and I was afraid of reaching too high.The company is one that provides support for customers of a big ISP, so I will basically have a desk and headset taking calls off a queue. I observed one guy work for a few, and the guy who hired me said they try to keep calls under 7 minutes.It appears as if I would have the opportunity to break away b/w calls if need be. My IBS has not been too bad at my current (soon to be former) job. I was at a desk and sometimes I'd go 3 or more hours without RR breaks since my IBS was not acting up and I guess I was not at a high level of anxiety. Granted, I have had some bad moments with D but overall I have been able to handle it. Hopefully if I have a 'bad day' at the new job they will understand if I say I'm 'just not feeling well.' (Hopefully my supervisor will be understanding.)I have 2 weeks of training so hopefully I'll see whether or not I get really stressed or not. After that, we'll see. It looks like a casual environment, and the benefits and pay are pretty good for me.I'd welcome any more feedback here. I don't post very often but I enjoy the exchanges on here.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here's my update:I got the job. It's the only job I even applied for, mostly b/c I couldn't seem to find job ads that I thought I was qualified for and I was afraid of reaching too high.The company is one that provides support for customers of a big ISP, so I will basically have a desk and headset taking calls off a queue. I observed one guy work for a few, and the guy who hired me said they try to keep calls under 7 minutes.It appears as if I would have the opportunity to break away b/w calls if need be. My IBS has not been too bad at my current (soon to be former) job. I was at a desk and sometimes I'd go 3 or more hours without RR breaks since my IBS was not acting up and I guess I was not at a high level of anxiety. Granted, I have had some bad moments with D but overall I have been able to handle it. Hopefully if I have a 'bad day' at the new job they will understand if I say I'm 'just not feeling well.' (Hopefully my supervisor will be understanding.)I have 2 weeks of training so hopefully I'll see whether or not I get really stressed or not. After that, we'll see. It looks like a casual environment, and the benefits and pay are pretty good for me.I'd welcome any more feedback here. I don't post very often but I enjoy the exchanges on here.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Hi there....I am IBS D and I work in a call centre working taking inbound calls.I, like you, was very worried about having to "run fast" on a call. Most of our calls are under 2 mins in length luckily. I was able to get a desk that is quite near two different bathrooms without making it conspicuous.I was very honest and upfront with my employer about my IBS. I made it into a positive by telling her how having IBS has helped me eat better and learn to deal with stress as best I can. I told her there would be days that I would love to work, but would be unable to. Luckily for me, I have my IBS more under control than I have in a LONG time.When the time came to meet my team leader, again I was honest. They have asked for a note from my doctor, but that is more to cover them in case someone else mentions how I am "getting away" with missing the odd day or being off the phones for a bit. (some diabetic guy at work has already said a few things, never to my face though..coward that he is!) Since I have been so open about my IBS at work, my other coworkers actually berated him for what he said. Actually, another one was just diagnosed with IBS and I am able to help her!
I got myself a stress ball to use at work, watch what I eat at work and do other things. I know my IBS is more stress induced right now. Calipers for my hands, doing leg exercises I can do at my desk etc. Our centre allows us to take a few mins if we DO have bad calls and relax. I have a spill proof mug at work that is always filled with peppermint tea and mints with me in case the gut DOES act up. Although I don't have one, we can get lockers at work where I could store an extra set of clothes...just in case. (right now I just keep mine in my car since I drive to work)Good luck to you...the positive effects on your esteem from liking this job may help your IBS too.
Keep in touch.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Hi there....I am IBS D and I work in a call centre working taking inbound calls.I, like you, was very worried about having to "run fast" on a call. Most of our calls are under 2 mins in length luckily. I was able to get a desk that is quite near two different bathrooms without making it conspicuous.I was very honest and upfront with my employer about my IBS. I made it into a positive by telling her how having IBS has helped me eat better and learn to deal with stress as best I can. I told her there would be days that I would love to work, but would be unable to. Luckily for me, I have my IBS more under control than I have in a LONG time.When the time came to meet my team leader, again I was honest. They have asked for a note from my doctor, but that is more to cover them in case someone else mentions how I am "getting away" with missing the odd day or being off the phones for a bit. (some diabetic guy at work has already said a few things, never to my face though..coward that he is!) Since I have been so open about my IBS at work, my other coworkers actually berated him for what he said. Actually, another one was just diagnosed with IBS and I am able to help her!
I got myself a stress ball to use at work, watch what I eat at work and do other things. I know my IBS is more stress induced right now. Calipers for my hands, doing leg exercises I can do at my desk etc. Our centre allows us to take a few mins if we DO have bad calls and relax. I have a spill proof mug at work that is always filled with peppermint tea and mints with me in case the gut DOES act up. Although I don't have one, we can get lockers at work where I could store an extra set of clothes...just in case. (right now I just keep mine in my car since I drive to work)Good luck to you...the positive effects on your esteem from liking this job may help your IBS too.
Keep in touch.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i didn't say a word to the guy, he was human resources (recruiter) so i didn't want to ask anything of him, plus he was stressing things about when we accrue sick days and benefits and stuff, so i was wondering if he'd just send me on my way if i asked about an illness deali guess i'll see if i start feeling it during training, i don't know when i meet my real supervisor or anything..i have opened up to people before, like in the army to let them know, but at my current job i never had to b/c it was just not necessaryi will definitely scope out the restroom locations and where i would be working... if i have any choice i will ask i guess i am worried if i present something right off the bat they will just say i'm not right for that job and not keep me even though i could do iti get really nervous about telling people, so i guess if i have a problem i will tell whoever i have anxiety and i usually "stomach problems" , i would only explain it if they ask and then i'll lay it out

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i didn't say a word to the guy, he was human resources (recruiter) so i didn't want to ask anything of him, plus he was stressing things about when we accrue sick days and benefits and stuff, so i was wondering if he'd just send me on my way if i asked about an illness deali guess i'll see if i start feeling it during training, i don't know when i meet my real supervisor or anything..i have opened up to people before, like in the army to let them know, but at my current job i never had to b/c it was just not necessaryi will definitely scope out the restroom locations and where i would be working... if i have any choice i will ask i guess i am worried if i present something right off the bat they will just say i'm not right for that job and not keep me even though i could do iti get really nervous about telling people, so i guess if i have a problem i will tell whoever i have anxiety and i usually "stomach problems" , i would only explain it if they ask and then i'll lay it out

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Is it possible for you to take vacation time from your current job while do you training for this one? That way if it doesn't seem like it will work out, you can keep your current job. I know a few people who have done that.If you are taking inbound calls, that will be much less stressful than a job that requires cold-calling for sales. I could never do that.Like MNL, I was surprised to read you were too nervous to answer the phone...then you said this was a call ctr job! Sometimes I hate talking to people on the phone..but that is not a key part of any job I have had or ever will have.If you think this is a good opportunity, you should go for it. I just want you to be sure it is a good one. You didn't say much about your current job, so I have no idea how much better this new job might be for you. Just be careful. I know Aurora is very happy with her call center job, and she has a great phone voice and the personality to do that. Some call centers aren't that great of places to work, though. So make sure this is what you want.And I would not mention IBS until your probation is over, and preferably not until something happens that warrants an explanation. Or if you think an incident is going to occur at some point, based on how your gut has been, then it might be better to let your supervisor know beforehand.Keep us posted! And good luck!

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Is it possible for you to take vacation time from your current job while do you training for this one? That way if it doesn't seem like it will work out, you can keep your current job. I know a few people who have done that.If you are taking inbound calls, that will be much less stressful than a job that requires cold-calling for sales. I could never do that.Like MNL, I was surprised to read you were too nervous to answer the phone...then you said this was a call ctr job! Sometimes I hate talking to people on the phone..but that is not a key part of any job I have had or ever will have.If you think this is a good opportunity, you should go for it. I just want you to be sure it is a good one. You didn't say much about your current job, so I have no idea how much better this new job might be for you. Just be careful. I know Aurora is very happy with her call center job, and she has a great phone voice and the personality to do that. Some call centers aren't that great of places to work, though. So make sure this is what you want.And I would not mention IBS until your probation is over, and preferably not until something happens that warrants an explanation. Or if you think an incident is going to occur at some point, based on how your gut has been, then it might be better to let your supervisor know beforehand.Keep us posted! And good luck!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I didn't think about asking for just the time off at my current job. It's at a university and it is a student position, so I could start again in May or earlier if they need the help. I'd rather just move on with full time employment somewhere else. I really need the money, esp. since I did not take courses this semester so I did not receive financial aid and right now I am at the point where I would have to ask my dad for help b/c my bills have caught up with my lack of income.
quote:Is it possible for you to take vacation time from your current job while do you training for this one?
Yes, the job is inbound calls. I am not scared to answer the phone in general. But, at home I do not answer b/c it is mostly solicitors, sometimes my family which I don't want to hear from and on that day if it was the call about my app I wanted to hear what they said first so I was a bit nervous.
quote:If you are taking inbound calls... was surprised to read you were too nervous to answer the phone
I will mention it to somebody if I have to, i.e. if I am leaving my desk frequently or for a long time and somebody might wonder if I am slacking off, or if it really feels bad and I just need to tell someone that I am sick.
quote:And I would not mention IBS until your probation is over, and preferably not until something happens that warrants an explanation.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.