Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dr says to take Bentyl whenever I get a flare with my IBS. She says it relaxes the entire GI system. She even told me to take it when my stomach got achy. I take 10 mg twice a day. I don't have pain, just little cramps here and there when my bowels get looser than normal. How many of you use Bentyl and what are your symtoms to take it? Do you take it daily or just when needed? Thanks--just curious!Tania

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Bentyl is an anticholenergic drug (what it interacts with is cholenergic receptors that are in various parts of the body)) primarily it is an antispasmodic. It prevents spasms in smooth muscle that cause achiness, pain, and can in some people muck up the digestive process so stool consitancy is not normal.Basically it is a muscle relaxer that works on smooth muscles (bladder, colon...the organs rather than the striated muscles that make up the skelatal muscles in your arms and legs).Cholenergic receptors do other things too, so most of the side effects are because it acts wherever it is in the body (causing dry mouth, reduced sweating, etc. If you take these drugs be careful to drink enough water and not over-exert in hot conditions as they can raise the risk for heat stroke in conditions where most people are at risk for heat stroke).Bentyl is used various ways, mostly depending on what symptom profile you have. If you only have cramps every so often (like a couple of times a week) just take it when you need it. If you are in pain most of the time, it may work better to take it regularly as continual or nearly continual pain is easier to control with continual medication rather than just waiting for it to be so bad you can't take it anymore before taking something for it. Some people mostly get symptoms after meals, so taking the drug 20 minutes before a meal may help with the post meal problems. Kinda like taking the antihistmine before going to your frinds house with cats. If you know you will have a reaction getting the drug in place before the reaction starts can give you better control than waiting for the symptom to hit and they try to put the fire out.K.------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Bentyl is an anticholenergic drug (what it interacts with is cholenergic receptors that are in various parts of the body)) primarily it is an antispasmodic. It prevents spasms in smooth muscle that cause achiness, pain, and can in some people muck up the digestive process so stool consitancy is not normal.Basically it is a muscle relaxer that works on smooth muscles (bladder, colon...the organs rather than the striated muscles that make up the skelatal muscles in your arms and legs).Cholenergic receptors do other things too, so most of the side effects are because it acts wherever it is in the body (causing dry mouth, reduced sweating, etc. If you take these drugs be careful to drink enough water and not over-exert in hot conditions as they can raise the risk for heat stroke in conditions where most people are at risk for heat stroke).Bentyl is used various ways, mostly depending on what symptom profile you have. If you only have cramps every so often (like a couple of times a week) just take it when you need it. If you are in pain most of the time, it may work better to take it regularly as continual or nearly continual pain is easier to control with continual medication rather than just waiting for it to be so bad you can't take it anymore before taking something for it. Some people mostly get symptoms after meals, so taking the drug 20 minutes before a meal may help with the post meal problems. Kinda like taking the antihistmine before going to your frinds house with cats. If you know you will have a reaction getting the drug in place before the reaction starts can give you better control than waiting for the symptom to hit and they try to put the fire out.K.------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
538 Posts
I love Bentyl. This morning I took some vitamins that caused me some stomache pains. I took a bentyl to relax my stomache and my brain before eating lunch. I ate lunch at 2p.m. It is now 2;30P.M. west coast time. I am feeling great and relaxed as I am posting this message to you. Bentyl works for me.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I love Bentyl. This morning I took some vitamins that caused me some stomache pains. I took a bentyl to relax my stomache and my brain before eating lunch. I ate lunch at 2p.m. It is now 2;30P.M. west coast time. I am feeling great and relaxed as I am posting this message to you. Bentyl works for me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.