Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen a lot of posts on different medications and was wondering what everyone was taking and how they liked it? I have been trying to get off Zoloft for yrs, and the weight gain was bad! I have been on
Paxil, made me really weird. Prozac, same thing. I have been writen a script for wellbutrin, and effexor scared to take either. I was on a wonderful IBS med for my D, the only one that worked then my gyno said it was a highly addicive drug and took me off it, and but me on Bental, which never worked for me. And wondering what everyone is taking for pain. I have found you learn more info on this site, then from most Dr.s LOL. Thanks everyone!!!!!

·
Registered
337 Posts
What medication were you on that worked so well?My opinion is, that it's : normal life compared to no life.. and the only side affect is an addiction.. so what? If you have a script for a certain amount each month.. who cares if you are addicted? What does it really matter in the long run? Tolerance is about the only problem, and that can be reversed with intermittent abstention. Anyway... just curious!ben

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was Loperamide and the gyno said it was highly addictive. I think this explains why he was leary of even giving me vicodin after my surgery (lap for endo) which is crazy. I had three refills left and it was past the due date, meaning I didn't refill it enough times in that time frame, so I don't know how he thought I was addicted. I am kinda all set with Drs right now, so excuse my negitive attitude. Thanks for your input!!! I think I am going to call my GI!

·
Registered
597 Posts
Loperamide is the same as Imodium. It's something one can buy over the counter. It's also considered very safe by doctors (except yours?) I know Dr Mayer sees nothing bad about taking imodium every day. I take vicodin every day and that is a different story however I do believe any that would make me feel better would be addictive!LouLou

·
Registered
337 Posts
God.. get a new doctor. Yours sounds like an ass. Excuse my language.. loperamide does not cross the blood/brain barrier, and is not addictive. (as far as I have read).Laparoscopic surgery is no picnic, I've had it twice and it hurts. I had two eye surgeries when I was younger, and I thought nothing could hurt worse than having stitches in your eyes.. well I was wrong.
Stitches/staples in your abdominal muscle hurt like hell. I hope your doctor knows that refusing pain treatment to a patient in need is cause for a lawsuit. I would absolutely look for a new doctor, yours sounds ignorant. I would go look up info on the net and show this fool... blah. I'm with you.. doctors irritate me.. especially the stupid ones. But, we have the power really, don't give them your business, don't perpetuate them.ben

·
Registered
337 Posts
I should add however, that taking immodium constantly is not good for you. It can cause problems, so I've been told several times, such as ileus. So although you shouldn't take it all the time, you can take it from time to time, if you need to. And you can buy it in the store...ben

·
Registered
337 Posts
Grrr... your doc has irritated me so much.. I had to post three times... LOLLook here : web page All the top few results will tell you, loperamide is in no way addictive. It's been said to add to the effect of other opiates, but no study has ever backed that up.ben

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Vogue,Yeah, I agree. He told me over the phone, (I called him Friday, and he was irritated with me) I could not get any pain med for my first menses after the lap, I even tryed asking for muscle relaxors, anything!! That is when he informed me I didn't have pain in my uterus, it was my bowels? Whatever! I called my GI and left a message, I don't know what took me so long! I would love to be able to take vicodine everyday, not because of addiction, but I don't have pain, and I have reg bowels, no "D"

·
Registered
337 Posts
Not giving you meds when you are in pain after surgery is irresponsible, and a true sign of a bad doctor, I had one do it to me. Also another very bad sign is getting irritated when you call them, or not responding when you call, or taking forever to respond when you call.I call doctors now before I even go see them, if I can't get them on the phone without paying the 80-90$, I want nothing to do with them. That says, to me, they want money, and do not care to even talk to people about treatment options. I know how you feel about the vicodin. Oxycodone has always made me feel completely normal. I've had 5 of 6 prescriptions of it, and it's always worked. I have been told that opiates won't treat IBS longterm... but I have been reading lately of people have good luck with codeine phosphate. If I can't seem to get things under control with some meds (when I get insurance).. I'm going to take my printouts and info about codeine in to my doctor, and see what he says.wishing you well,ben

1 - 10 of 10 Posts