Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, my name is Mike, Im 20 years old and ive been suffering with IBS -D for around 10 years. Doctors have told me I am one of the most severe cases of IBS theyve ever seen. I get the gas, the diareha, the horrible horrible pain, the constant feeling like garbage...and everything else associated with IBS.Recently my doctor had prescribed me 50mg tablets of Tramadol for some back pain I was suffering from a car accident. I noticed when I would take the pills for my back...they would also work with my stomach. To make sure...I tried taking it when I had a bad Ibs attack and it worked fantastic! All of my symptoms subsided very very quickly and I felt soo much better.I talked to my doctor about it the next day and he gave me more Tramadol. I have been taking one 50mg tablet in the morning and one in the evening everyday for a few months now. So far, So good!
I still have days when I feel pretty bad, and once in awhile If I dont take the medicine on a schedualed basis an attack will start to slip in. But once the medicine kicks in I feel soo much better.I still strictly monitor my diet. No spices, no dairy (but who needs dairy with all the amazing soy products out there)no greasy or fried foods, no chocolate, ect ect..Neways, these pills have made me feel so much better. I was really in a mess before this medication. I was getting to the point where I couldnt stand another day of the pain and suffering of IBS. I was always miserable and afraid to even go anywhere because I was worried of getting sick.Tramadol has greatly improved my quality of life. The only side effects it has on me is a lil dry mouth and i start to get kinda drowsy before its time to take my second dose of the day. Other then that, everything is great.I hope you guys try this medicine out and I hope it works as well for you all as it has for me.Im so excited about this new finding and Im not really even sure where I should post this topic.Im going to post it in a couple places on here so everyone will see it. Hopefully the administrators wont get too mad
Good luck to you all, I hope you all find freedom from this horrible condition.- Mike

·
Registered
584 Posts
There seems to be a lot of conflicting information out there about tramadol.Does it reduce your symptoms or just make you feel better? That's always a good question to ask. You still need to try and keep good tabs on your symptoms. That way if they get worse, even if you don't feel the pain, you can relay that to your doctor.There is some info out there that says tramadol does not affect gut motility like natural opioids do. I saw another article that said it may be used to reverse narcotic bowel syndrome? Did I get that right? I'd be interested to know if that is really true. If it was, would it not be safer to take than a typical opioid?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tramadol is a non narcotic pain reliever, it does cause drowsiness. Be careful when driving and no alcohol while taking this med.Char

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
quote:Tramadol is a non narcotic pain reliever
According to this http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginf...er/a695011.html it is a narcotic
I don't know about if this is a rare narcotic that cannot cause narcotic bowel syndrome, but if your abdominal pain becomes worse on this medication I would see a doctor right away and not try to make it stop with higher doses of the medication. Some people do need to go through an in hospital rapid detox off of narcotics if this happens to them.K.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
The medline link and the RX list page seem to indicate it is in the same class as other narcotics? so I am confused. "ULTRAM is a centrally acting synthetic opioid analgesic"Opiod is "1. Any synthetic narcotic not derived from opium. "http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/tramadol_cp.htm It has additional effects.So all the clinical information about the drug is totally 100% wrong?Guess it could happen, but these are usually pretty good sources of information.Side effect profile from the rxlist site looks a lot like percocet or other semi-synthetic opiates.K.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
PS if you tend to constipation whatever drug class you think it is you may not want this drug.Here is the percentage of people who have problems with constipation for different durations of treatment: 7 days 24% 30 days 38% 90 days 46% "The overall incidence rates of adverse experiences in these trials were similar for ULTRAM and the active control groups, TYLENOL® with Codeine #3 "From the RXlist site.K.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My RN reference books lists Tramadol as a central analgesic, non narcotic, not completely understood, binds to opioid receptors. For mild to moderate pain.char

·
Registered
3 Posts
hi people its interesting to no people my age get it as well i thought i was the only one im 21 i just found out i got ibs i find when i get the pain i go in the shower which eases it a bit but then im sick with it and then i go get in bed putting a hot water bottle on my bad and tummy helps to calm the cramps down. although i end up not bein able to hardly move afterwards because as you all know the pain is so severe. i had ibs come on just before christmas so instead of eating turkey and that i was in bed in agony and being sick too! some woman on here made me laugh saying ibs is not as bad as giving birth which is reassuring to know when i come to have children! taking tablets when the ibs has wore off a bit for my back helps me. Sometimes i cannot sleep i find if i listen to music or do something to take my mind of it it helps a little bit. I hope this has helped someone out there

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.