Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have made this account for the sole purpose of asking this, I am managing fine at the moment but most of my symptoms are psychological, but that is the case for some with SIBO/Candida.

I am going to try and get to the point, I recently went on an anti-candida diet around 5 months ago, and some very strange things happened on that diet which I am struggling to figure out to this very day, so I thought I should ask here for some help in trying to figure out what in the hell happened when I was on that diet.

Now let's start from the beginning.

I have had some horrible mental and cognitive symptoms for a while, they were getting worse in the last year (I recently went gluten free, started using antacids and ended up eating a lot of sugary foods) and then I went to see a kinesiologist, who diagnosed me with candida. She gave me bionutri ecobalance (L-Glutamine, Probiotic with FOS, Garlic, and Cinnamon Caprylate) and a low sugar and carb diet list for me to follow.

The first week of following this diet (broccoli, eggs and Onion were staples of my diet, as well as goat's yogurt), my symptoms instantly changed (they were not fluctuating wildly, didn't feel hung over anymore, vision improved etc.), and I thought I might actually get better. But after a two to three weeks, and developing issues moving my bowels, I started to feel WAY more depressed and apathetic in comparison to how i felt in the past. I lost interest in things that mattered to me, I thought this was die off at the time, but die off felt more like a flu like response rather than this apathetic and dead feeling. I thought I was developing dementia too...

Despite this though, my vision got way better and there were times during this diet, which I followed for two months, where my sleep was vastly improved (as in I felt like a normal person trying to sleep), along with moments where I felt quite calm and collected, like present in the moment (this was something I haven't felt in years!).

In the end, I just ended up feeling worse in many areas, but better in others. I later found that I no longer reacted as badly to gluten as I did in the past, which I think may have been due to the L-Glutamine, but I just felt dead on the inside. I just don't know why this happened the way it did.

I took a lot of antifungals and probiotics during this time, I have never taken Probiotics before this time either, not sure if that may or may not be important. I told the kinesiologist that I was getting worse, but she brushed off my complaints as "Die off" and went on about how it was leaky gut and candida I was suffering from. I eventually gave up on the diet and stopped seeing her.

I recently did another round of Probiotics, VSL3, and all it did was give me worse breath and created some biofilm on the back of my teeth.

I will list the symptoms that occurred on this diet, to hopefully give you a better understanding of what happened.

Positive symptoms:

Times where my sleep felt better (improved melatonin production?).

Reduction in Acid Reflux (first few weeks)

Less swelling in my lower abdomen (it was very flat at first)

Lungs were a lot easier to breathe through (early improvement, and it has still stuck to this day!)

Moments where I felt calm and in the moment (something I haven't felt in years)

No longer waking up feeling hungover (this fluctuates, but continues to this day)

Decrease in the feeling of a veil between me and reality.

Better vision

Words popped out to me more

World looked more colourful

Eye floaters decreased (they have increased again recently, though I Am doing heavy metal chelation so this may be why)

Mind felt less empty at times (like it was reacting to stimuli again)

Negative symptoms (many of these occurred after a few weeks):

Increased apathy

Increased depression

Increase in confusion

Moments of immense brain fog (this may have been die off)

Lack of Appetite

Decreased bile flow (no longer the case, fixed with supplements)

Liver Pain (This resolved with milk thistle)

Undigested food in my stools (this has improved)

Later increase in acid reflux again (not sure why)

Intestinal spasms/twitches

Cracked soles on feet

Numbness on my right thigh (first time this has happened, rarely happens now)

Bones were cracking more (this is not getting any worse now)

Seeing a speck of light in my vision at night (this has gone down a lot now)

Weight loss

I am sure there may be more, but I need to get to the bottom of this soon as I am due to have a BTS Stool analysis done for bacteria and parasites. I am also thinking of doing a round with Humaworm to take care of any SIBO related issue, I however need someone who knows a lot about gut flora and the mental health connection to tell me what could have happened on this diet.

I theorize that while I may have reduced the candida, and maybe healed the leaky gut with L-Glutamine, the Probiotics and FOS caused other bacteria to over grow, making some of my symptoms much worse. But I am not an expert on these issues.

I really need to have a better understanding of what happened, since I need to address this in the near future, especially as I am doing heavy metal chelation (made some gains already) which could have been the root cause of all my issues in the first place.

That is all.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
It's complicated because you are doing a lot of different things simultaneosly. I'd recommend trying thing one by one.

Paul Jaminet believes that a ketogenic diet starves the bacteria and feeds the candida.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I thought too. I want to repeat the diet, minus allowing the body to enter ketosis...

What kind of food would you recommend to prevent the body entering ketosis? I want to improve some of my symptoms by the end of the year, I don't really want to do parasite cleansing until I have gotten some of the Mercury out of my body (I have already made some gains doing so), due to Mercury having a bad effect on the immune system.

I ate quite a bit of fat in my diet to be fair.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It's complicated because you are doing a lot of different things simultaneosly. I'd recommend trying thing one by one.

Paul Jaminet believes that a ketogenic diet starves the bacteria and feeds the candida.
Would you recommend I change the diet alone, minus antifungals and probiotics?

I could do the diet alone with L-Glutamine? Since that seems to agree with me quite well.

I no longer get sugar cravings much of the time either. I did before that diet, now I rarely do.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I don't know what's going on in your body. And I don't know what is going on in my body. And I don't know what is the solution. I just wanted to caution people that some "candida diets" out there might be problematic.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't know what's going on in your body. And I don't know what is going on in my body. And I don't know what is the solution. I just wanted to caution people that some "candida diets" out there might be problematic.
I am sorry, and it's just I hoped someone who knew a lot about these kinds of issues could comment.

You are right though.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
According to Paul Jaminet, some starches should be used to prevent ketosis. I eat potatoes and white rice. This has not been the solution to my problems, but it may have been a step on the right direction.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.