Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello people,I've been reading these forums for a while and trying some of the remedies etc but have never posted. I was diagnosed with ibs-c about 3 years ago but I got the feeling my doctor never really took me seriously.Anyway I thought i'd just give my experience to what has happened recently as I seems to have been having normal bm's for the past few months!!My doctor has always told me to drink plenty of water and each plenty of high fibre foods. At work I have always drunk about 3 - 4 litres of water in a day but this has never really helped, it just makes me go the the bathroom (for a number 1) as it just seemed to go right through me and didnt help with my bm's. I can tell when I am going to be constipated as I get a blockage feeling quite high up in my bowel. Anyway, I started to suppliment the high water intake with a couple of spoonfulls of bran mixed in with my breakfast cereal and this did help slightly, although it often left me feeling bloated. I also read somewhere that caffeine can cause constipation as it dries you out so I have now limited my caffeine intake. I used to drink a lot of green tea thinking that this would help with my water intake and it is supposed to be good for me aswell. I found that green tea could have almost the same caffeine content as proper coffee so have almost cut this out too.I dont drink a lot of alcohol but I began to notice that my constipation got worse for about 2 weeks after a night out and my lips got really dry and cracked despite drinking pints and pints of water. (on a side note, the day immediately after drinking alcohol I would be having bm's all day and it would totally clear me out). So I started looking for something that I could take to rehydrate me and replace the salts lost in my body as I also read that the bowel needs certain salts for the muscles to contract efficiently, hence why some people on these forums take magnesium etc. Anyway I bought some tablets from a well known cycling website here in the UK that dissolve in water. The combination of these tablets (each one dissoves in 500ml of water), the bran and the reduced caffeine intake seems to be working wonders for my constipation! I do every so often get a feeling that I am on the verge of being constipated and don't produce anything that day but the next day I am totally relieved again!Also, I can tell that the water that I drink is being retained more by my body as I am not constantly going to the toilet for a wee and my bm's are more moist! (lovely image I know)None of this will probably work for people who have had ibs-c for years but for people who are just experiencing it for the first time it might be worth a try as it might save you ££££'s or $$$$'s trying to find something that helps like I did.Rob

·
Registered
71 Posts
That's funny you say that coffee will make you constipated. I find that it's the only thing that UNconstipates me. And if I'm in a phase where I'm having diarrhea, I can't tolerate coffee because it make me worse.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.