Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi I am new to this site but it has been very helpfull. I was like alot of people here trying to find anything I can to help. Ibs can completely control your life. My marriage to my wife was falling apart. My kids didnt have a real father to go places and do things with them. And I lost my job and had to put all the weight on my wifes shoulders. This is very hard for a man who was raised to take care of his family. Depression set on in a bad way. I have never been a person to see a doc. I would have to be dieing to go to the doc. I dont believe in taking anti depressants. They only alter the mind to make you believe your better when your not. Finaly I went to a doc and got diagnosed with this terrible desease IBS. I tried all kinds of junk. Even a holistic doc that put me on mung beans from india which had rocks and dead worms in them. That was horrible. But then I found cholestyramine. I have had IBS for 10 years. I went 6 years without a diagnosis. It completly ran my life. But then 4 years ago I was put on cholestyramine and it changed my life. Within 3 days I had my first normal bowl movement in 6 years. I take 1 scoop full or one packet twice a day. morning and night. I also take whenever I am having an attack. I would def try that. I have a very simple diet. I eat very plain foods. No milk, cheese or any dairy for that matter. Caffine free ginger ale is my drink of choice. I eat pretty much just meats and patotoes with rice. Chicken and turkey very good. Fish is also great. I eat a very little bit of chocolate somtimes before bed if I feel tight in the bowls. I personaly dont eat any fruits or veggies. I just cant handle them. They cramp me up so bad. I take a once a day for the vitamins I need. Anyhting naturally gasy will hurt if you eat or drink it. Another thing is to try your best to keep your nerves under control. Ibs attacks can be triggered by fear, panic, anxiaty, depression, and nervousness. You have to just learn to breath and keep yourself calm. You have to look at the positives in evry situation you face and keep a positive attitude. Im sure you notice you feel better when things are going good and you also feel good. So find out how to keep yourself feeling that way more. Make sure you are honest with your friends and family so that they understand what you are dealing with. This will help alot in itself. Smoking is also bad for IBS. It constricts blood vessles and can cause spasma in the body. I still have problems, but not near as much or as painfull. Also the gas X strips that melt on your tounge are life savers, but stay away from tums! They will help the heartburn but will trigger colon spasms. I am also a believer. I know not everyone is but for me faith and hope and having someone who is always there no matter what def helps me. I must say though that one day I was very sick. I was on the floor crying from the pain. My son who was 4 at the time, walked over put his hand on my belly and said Lord please heal my daddies belly and take the pain away and make him feel better, in Jesus name, amen. And instantly my pain was gone. Does it happen everytime? No. but that one time was enough to help me keep faith. We all go through seasons. This happens to be mine. Hopefully it will leave me one day soon, but it may not so all I can do is figure out how to deal with it the best I can which is what all of us who are dealing with this horrible ailment must do. Hope this helps.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.