Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, been off the boards for awhile, glad to be back. When I joined the boards, I was suffering from IBS-D, horrible cramps, urgency,lost my appetite, lost quite a bit of weight, you know the routine.. In the past I have been treated with Sinequan, Librax, Lomotil (yuck), Immoduim AD, Bentyl, Levsin SL, with the Librax being the most recent one. I joined the board to look for alternatives, conversation and understanding people-found it all here
) I had read alot about the L-Glutamine people were trying for Diarrhea, and decided to try that, and that alone. I went to GNC and bought the powder form, started at one teaspoon in a glass of water (relativley tasteless), and almost immediatley the diarrhea resolved itself. I went two days with no BM, then began to have one every morning, with the normal warning signs, no urgency, and no cramps. Just trying to be the inquisitive nurse that I am, I stopped the L-Glutamine after one week, I remained normal for about a week, then I started right back with the diarhhea pattern. Is it totally related? Who knows? Close enough for me though, so I am not suggesting everyone run out and try it, but it is an option that worked well for me. The L-Glutamine research that I did was very promising and positive. I am not against people taking prescriptions, you should do what works for your body, but after all the prescriptions I had taken, I wanted something else. L-Glutamine apparently has many many claims to conditions that it "may help with" such as obesity, alcoholism, tissue repair, on and on. I did not read bad things about it, not saying they don't exist, but that was a plus for me. Like I said, it was what I needed, I have had no issues with it, and it is merely a suggestion, and testimonial if you will lol!Wishing the porcelain God will have mercy on the ring around our butts!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Glad to hear it. I swear the L-Glutamine has "cured" me also. I was on it for a few weeks, and now I have not taken any in several weeks - and I'm still "normal".L-Glutamine Rocks!Congrats! I'm happy for you!Catherine

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Just wanted to say that I have also had some success with L-glutamine. I have been taking it for about 2 months and as long as I get adequete fiber everyday I have a normal, "robust", fast, and easy BM 1 hour after breakfast every single day, sometimes even once after lunch. It's amazing. I take mine in capsule form from a reputable source. I did some research on the 'Net about it, too, and it looks promising to me as well.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I have been taking it also for a few months. Not sure if it has helped or not. Still having about one minor episode or "D" once or twice every 2 weeks. But then I only take 750-1000 mg. How much do you guys take? Also I just bought another bottle but afraid to take this particular one because the last ingredient listed is Sorbitol. Heard sorbitol can cause "D".

·
Registered
188 Posts
Thanks for the info here, Cir. I'm only taking 500 mg per day(caps), which is what it says to take on the bottle. How much is too much, and can there be an adverse reaction from too much? Maybe I'll just go to the sites posted by you...Thanks,IG(later)....good info-I didn't know l-glut effects bacteria balance and our probiotics levels!! And it does look like I should up my dosage without side effects. Hope you don't mind, Cir, I have to post this from the vitamin link...it's how I was helped almost to a 'T'--I eat homemade yogurt(dairy product?), eggs when not having active diarrhea, no unsprouted grains: "A nutritional approach -- using dietary modifications and nutritional supplements to: 1) control inflammation, 2) restore the microflora balance of the bowel, 3) replace needed nutrients lost due to poor appetite and diarrhea, 4) encourage healthy digestion and muscle tone in the gastrointestinal tract, 5) support the liver, and 6) eliminate possible food allergens, and 7) increase fiber - may yield dramatic results for many IBS sufferers. Dietary Modifications: Modify the diet so that it contains fewer calories from fat (20-30% of total calories consumed). Fat calories should come from foods rich in essential fatty acids (EFAs), such as whole grains, cold, deep-water fish (salmon, tuna, haddock, etc.), nuts and seeds and their cold-pressed oils, and cold-pressed olive oil. Cut back on your intake of saturated fats and eliminate hydrogenated fat and processed vegetable oils (used in fried foods, baked goods, processed salad dressings, etc.). Include plenty of soluble fiber in your diet from low-carbohydrate vegetables and fruits (except citrus fruits, which should be eliminated), legumes, and whole grains such as brown rice, millet, and oatmeal. (Eliminate all refined carbohydrates - pastas, breads, crackers, cereals, etc.) Ground or milled flaxseed is an excellent source of soluble fiber that can be added to salads, grains, vegetables, and yogurt. Eliminate common food allergens such as wheat, corn, eggs, soy, and dairy foods. Eliminate mucous-forming foods: sugar, caffeine, carbonated drinks, dairy foods, and alcohol. (Exception: organic unsweetened yogurt or kefir is helpful in restoring friendly intestinal flora.) Drink plenty of spring water. Consider juicing with fresh green leafy vegetables every day. A powdered green foods product (such as Greens + or Green Magma) may be substituted. Drink soothing teas such as licorice, slippery elm, and chamomile. Get adequate amounts of good quality protein from a variety of sources, including vegetable sources. Eat many small meals as opposed to 2-3 large ones. Nutritional Supplements: The right combination of supplements will enhance the effects of the dietary guidelines outlined above. (Note: You may get best results by consulting a knowledgeable healthcare practitioner to help you design and monitor a program tailored to your unique needs. In addition, as always, if you take medications, you should consult with your prescribing physician prior to beginning any nutritional supplement program.) Essential Supplements: High-potency multiple vitamin/mineral complex designed to be taken in 2-3 divided doses each day with meals. This will provide a foundation of antioxidant nutrients, B vitamins, and minerals. Acidophilus and Bifidobacteria Glutamine Ground or milled flaxseed and flaxseed oil Balanced essential fatty acid complex, high in omega-3 fatty acids (flaxseed oil, EPA/DHA, GLA)" [This message has been edited by Island girl (edited 09-27-2000).]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts