Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Tomorrow, I start work on an archaeological excavation. Silly me, I assumed that there would be a bathroom (or a porta potty, or a hole in the ground) within, say, a hundred yards of the site. Nope! I found out today that the nearest bathroom is a mile away and we have to be driven there to use it. I have IBS-D. Some days, it doesn't bother me at all; other days I need to use the bathroom up to 5 times in a hour (sometimes up to 10 times an hour, but that's rare).Do any of you have suggestions for how to get through this? I am very sensitive to Imodium. If I take it more than one day in a row, my bowels may never work again. At this point in my life my IBS is pretty much as well-controlled as it as ever been; most days it doesn't cause too much trouble, but I'm pretty certain that my stomach will never be on as convenient a schedule as I need it to be.

·
Registered
197 Posts
what I might suggest then is similar to what I do but on a smaller dose. if I have discomfort thich may lead to a spout of D I take bog standard loperimide. i find that generic loperimide is less potant than immodium. if you take it early enough I find it can stop D which is on its way. so i take 3 if I even have a hint of issues.If I know I am about to have D but know I cannot get to a bathroom I would take my 3 loperimide when I had my discomfort and I just take 2 extra when it doesnt settle down and keep taking 2 until it does. recently I have been lucky in that even when I know I have D the loperimide has slowed it down so it isnt a rush and I can hold it in until lunch when I have time to get to a toilet.So just to edit the above depending how sensitive you are maybe try taking 1 is you feel there is a chance things might be going south and take another 1 if things start to feel worse and so on

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.