Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know what to do! I was D last week and now I'm C. I haven't been to the bathroom since Thursday morning. Saturday night I began taking 2 Citrucel tablets instead of water. I'm also drinking a ton of water. What else can I do? Help!

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Did you take anything for the D?Is the C mostly not going to the bathroom or are you in a lot of discomfort from it?Are you passing gas normally?We are starting to talk a fairly long time to not have a BM and a blockage can be a concern when it is more than 3-4 days without a BM. But if you are farting OK and not in much pain then it is not so worrying.Does it feel like you have something near ready to go? One thing to remember if the D really cleaned you out well, it can be a couple of days before you fill up enough again to have to go to the bathroom, so I'm not so worried about stool frequency after a bad bout of D, esp if your diet isn't that high in fiber (Most fiber supplements help, but will not get you to 25-30 grams of fiber a day if you aren't getting much in the diet).If you feel like you got something in the rectum but it isn't passing easily try a glycerin suppository or a fleets for fairly quick relief. Milk of magnesia if you are willing to wait a bit longer. I would try those before a stimulatory laxative, but that is always an option, but may send you over to D more readily which could set you up for this again.If you are very uncomfortable, or vomit then I would get to the doctor to get checked out. Also if it goes a week without a BM then also call the doctor. Normal range is 3 a day to 3 a week so skipping a couple of days without a BM is not that bit a concern, but not going for a week tends to increase the likelyhood of something bad going on.K.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I took some Pepto for my D. Now for my C, I haven't gone at all. I'm not in any pain, I just can't go. I know that my GI says I shouldn't worry if it's been only a few days. I'm just wondering what will help me go as far as food. My GI told me not to take Milk of Magnesium because it will put me back to D. I have an appointment with the GI again on Thursday. Just wishing I could go to the bathroom today!

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Julee, eating pears or popcorn always works for me. Sorry you are swinging between the extremes. Hope you get some relief soon.Stacey

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I went home for lunch and was able to go to the bathroom!
Thank god! I noticed there was some mucus in my stool. Is that normal?

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Julee,Do you take any calcium citrate and magnesium. I use a liquid calcium with magnesium 2x a day and it helps my IBS C. 2Tbs. a day give 1200 mg of calcium and 600 mg. of Magnesium and 300 mg. of Vitamin D.

·
Registered
888 Posts
i havent been since yesterday (Sunday) morning and i'm getting worried! ive been drinking my horrible fybogel too and still havent been!!

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
RitaLucy,I don't take that. I will discuss it with my GI when I go on Thursday. I'm so nervous. I hope everything will be okay. I can't imagine what has thrown me into this constant state of being D and then C! I hate it!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts