Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
I feel just like you do.Constipation can be just as debilitating as diarrhea.I have been on both sides and neither one is better then the other.The only thing that helps me to go is my rhubarb supplement made by soloray.I have to special order it from the vitamin shoppe.I'm looking for a better remedy because rhubarb can be harsh on the system.I cramp up a lot,but without it,i can't go at all.If i find a better remedy,i will post it immediately.I have tried so many things that worked for others,but not me.I'm a tough case.
Take care

·
Registered
296 Posts
Hi ladies ...I suffered with C for a couple years before finally finding pretty good relief with magnesium.It's cheap, and has helped me more than a lot of expensive stuff I've since thrown away.I usually take 500 mg in the mornings, and sometimes again in the evening ... depending. As you may have learned, IBS symptoms vary a lot, and seem to change peroidically in response what you may do to relieve them. I also occasionally use Miralax, a mild non-addictive laxative which you need a prescription for. My GI confirms that Miralax and magnesium are both very safe to use long term.Also, of great help for reducing anxiety and some of the stress associated with IBS, I had good results using Mike's hypnotherapy tapes. I still play them when I feel the need.Hope this may help you, too.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I haven't even heard of using mag before this forum. it HAS to be better than what I have been doing to my body. What dose would you recommend that I start on while I am also taking zelnorm, which isn't doing a thing yet?

·
Registered
296 Posts
You ask what amount of magnesium to start on ...I would try at least 200 mg. I found that smaller than 500 mg did nothing for me. And when you start taking it, like a lot of other things, it doesn't always help until two or three days later.As for taking it with Zelnorm, I don't have any answers yet. I just started Zelnorm myself two days ago. My GI said that I'd have to find the balance between when it might start to help and my use of magnesium and Miralax. He suggested not going off what was working pretty well for me until I get some kind of sense that the Zelnorm was starting to have an effect, and then to adjust it accordingly. (I'm trying the Zelnorm to see if it will help with the bloating, and because it's supposed to help with some other GI tract issues I have.)There seem to be no hard and fast rules or solutions with a functional disorder like IBS. Weall need to experiment a bit and find which things work in what combinations to help our particular symptoms.

·
Registered
23 Posts
From what i can understand, zelnorm is primarily directed/most effective in women for some reason. I've had very little success with it.... it created more DI have heard of a lot of people getting relief from magnesium tho.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm getting good results from Zelnorm. Constipation and bloating were always my problem. Started it a few weeks ago and saw results almost immediately.Just had a cosmetic sugergy and was on Vicodin until the constipation it causes got so bad I quit and took Zelnorm for a couple days. Problem solved immediately.I like it.My doctor had no problem with me taking it even if I'm in a delicate physical position right now.Hollie

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
Logic suggest being tested to find out the real nature of your problem whether it is really is IBS, pelvc floor dysfunction or a motility issue.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.