Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
hi this is my first post here but i used to have horrible IBS and the Diarrhea type but never the constipation typeim glad i found these forums so i can share with you all what has litterally saved my life and basically cured my IBS Diarrhea typei used to be 330 pounds and have diarrehea everyday it was so bad that i could not run with out haveing to take a #### and even if i just walked with in 10 or so mins i would need to take a ####i also had the most horrible gas 24/7 it was ruining my life i could not go out or around anyone because it plagued me everydaymy gut also hurt very bad all in all it had completely ruined my life and i was dieingi used to not beable to eat even a single bite of broccoli or fatning greasy meat with out geting horrible gas all day longbut this is what i did to cure all my illnesses obesity and IBS and saved my lifei started on the atkins diet i ate high fat, medium protein, low carb and i was loseing fat off my body rapidly but also my stomach/IBS was very slowly healing it got better and better every dayi now could eat giant bowl fulls of broccoli and tons of fatning greasy meat and get NO GAS what so ever i found out all my problems were caused by them horrible refined/unnatural carbohydratesits like magic when you cut the carbs out of your diet your IBS just gets better i know it seems impossible to believe that you could ever eat broccoli or fatning meat and get no gas but its true it works 100%the things this diet will give you are greatly imporved health , 99% reduced gas or gas free (yes really) , 99% cured IBS as long as you stay on the dieti can now eat a GIANT meal and go running or what ever i want and get NO GAS NO haveing to take a #### no ANYTHING it is all 100% normal i now have a 100% normal healthy body :(my stomach took 6 months to fully 100% heal but it was really damaged and i was still eating foods that irritated it like mayo/vinegar that i 100% avoid now though but so i think if i did not eat them bad foods it would have 100% healed with in 4-5 monthswhen you start the diet with a damaged stomach it will still hurt when you eat food it takes time it heals slowly but it does heal and once healed it will not hurt anymore but you will notice some great improvments right away like no gasthis diet is a life long diet and it is very easy to stick to so i hope you give it a chance it works it has basically saved my life :)i have also lost 150 pounds of fat and gained 50-55 pounds of muscle i now weigh 235 poundsagain i know it seems to good to be true but i swear it works it will help youil also post my personal exp and info and weblinksavoid all : White and black pepper, vinegar, capers, cinnamon, Cornstarch, Corn syrup, Nutmeg, Vanilla , Ketchup, pickles, mayonnaise, mustard, relish Coffee, Distilled liquor, Black Tea , i find these foods upset my stomachnow also i like to keep the fiber in my diet extremely low i like to cut ALL the stems off my broccoli and only eat the top flower part yes i know this does not make any sense but once your stomach is fully healed fiber just irritates it and flushes out nutrients however if you suffer from constipation then you may want to keep the fiber in your diet thats one thing im still not sure onand here is links to help explain how to do the diet and more about IBS
http://www.atkinsdietbulletinboard.com/forums/http://www.biblelife.org/bowel.htmhttp://www.biblelife.org/leakygut.htmhttp://www.biblelife.org/myths.htmGod bless you all i know this will atleast 99% cure your IBS -_-edit: i would like to edit this and addmake sure you never eat any soy soy is an abomination it is not a food along with doing many horrible things one of the things it does is cause stomach problems and soy lethicin is bad toohttp://www.westonaprice.org/Cruel-and-Unus...-Prisoners.htmlhttp://www.soyonlineservice.co.nz/

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
i know this will atleast 99% cure your IBS
Really?? Because you seem to know much more than many IBS experts! I am glad you found something to help you.... however... If you are selling something it does NOT belong on this Forum.BQ

·
Registered
312 Posts
i am selling nothing you can learn how to do all this 100% freeexperts? why does this have anything to do with experts? this has worked and healed every person i know who had IBSthe only people who still get problems are people who suffer from constipation im not 100% sure how to fix that some of them like eating lots of fiber thoughand i guess cure was the wrong word but rather 100% manage to the point it feels like you have been 100% cured of the illness as long as you stick to that dietand another thing i should have added is fiber does not irritate the stomach anywere near as much as mayo/vineger etc so if you have bad constipation by all means eat lots of fiber iv heard of lots of people that it helps for constipation and yes i know fiber is supposed to help for diarrhea IBS but when on this diet your stomach heals and you dont get diarrhea and fiber ends up just causeing problems for people with diarrhea IBSi know its hard to understand you would need to try the diet yourself to know what im talking about just dont rush the diet make sure you learn about it and how to do it properly cause carbohydrates(not counting fiber) interfere with your body being able to handle and use fat properly so if you did not do the diet right and ate lots of carbs/fat then it would not work in any way so make sure you learn how to do it rightno more than 20 carbohydrates a day ( not counting fiber ) then after 2-3 weeks you can slightly add more in just read up on it to learn how to do it all the free info you need on how to do the diet is in this linkhttp://www.atkinsdietbulletinboard.com/forums/more infoaround 20 carbohydrates a day or less not counting fiberAbout amounts - the 2002 edition of DANDR states that we can have 2 cups of Salad Veggies and 1 cup of Other Veggies, or 3 cups of Salad Veggies... even if you pick veggies with very low carb counts, the 3 cups rule stays in effect for Induction.Here is a list of the Acceptable foods:Acceptable Foods These are the foods you may eat liberally during Induction: all fish, all fowl, all shellfish, all meat, all eggs *Oysters and mussels are higher in carbs than other shellfish, so limit them to four ounces per day. **Processed meats, such as ham, bacon, pepperoni, salami, hot dogs and other luncheon meats and some fish may be cured with added sugar and will contribute carbs. Try to avoid meat and fish products cured with nitrates, which are known carcinogens. Also beware of products that are not exclusively meat, fish or fowl, such as imitation fish, meatloaf and breaded foods. Finally, do not consume more than four ounces of organ meats a day. OTHER FOODS THAT ARE ACCEPTABLE DURING INDUCTION Cheese You can consume three to four ounces daily of the following full-fat, firm, soft and semi-soft aged cheeses*, including: cheddar cow, sheep and goat cheese cream cheese Gouda mozzarella Roquefort and other blue cheeses Swiss *All cheeses have some carbohydrate content. The quantity you eat should be governed by that knowledge. The rule of thumb is to count 1 ounce of cheese as equivalent to 1 gram of carbohydrate. Note that cottage cheese, farmer's cheese and other fresh cheeses are not permitted during Induction. No "diet" cheese, cheese spreads or whey cheeses are permitted. Individuals with known yeast symptoms, dairy allergy or cheese intolerance must avoid cheese. Imitation cheese products are not allowed, except for soy or rice cheese but check the carbohydrate content. Vegetables You can have two to three cups per day of: alfalfa sprouts daikon mushrooms arugula endive parsley bok choy escarole peppers celery fennel radicchio chicory jicama radishes chives lettuce romaine lettuce cucumber moche sorrel These salad vegetables are high in phytonutrients and provide a good source of fiber. Other Vegetables You can have one cup per day of these veggies if salad does not exceed two cups. The following vegetables are slightly higher in carbohydrate content than the salad vegetables: artichoke celery root pumpkin artichoke hearts rhubarb asparagus chard sauerkraut bamboo shoots collard greens scallions dandelion snow peas bean sprouts dandelion greens spaghetti squash beet greens eggplant spinach broccoli hearts of palm string or wax beans broccoli rabe kale summer squash brussels kohlrabi tomato bean sprouts leeks turnips cabbage okra water chestnuts cauliflower onion zucchini If a vegetable, such as spinach or tomato, cooks down significantly, it must be measured raw so as not to underestimate its carb count. Salad Garnishes crumbled crisp bacon grated cheese minced hard-boiled egg sauted mushrooms sour cream Spices All spices to taste, but make sure none contain added sugar. Herbs basil garlic rosemary cayenne pepper ginger sage cilantro oregano tarragon dill pepper thyme For salad dressing, use oil and vinegar (but not balsamic vinegar, which contains sugar) or lemon juice and herbs and spices. Prepared salad dressings without added sugar and no more than two carbs per tablespoon serving are also fine. Acceptable Fats and Oils Many fats, especially certain oils, are essential to good nutrition. Olive oil is particularly valuable. All other vegetable oils are allowed, the best being canola, walnut, grapeseed, sesame, sunflower and safflower oils, especially if they are labeled "cold-pressed" or "expeller-pressed." Do not cook polyunsaturated oils, such as corn, soybean and sunflower oil, at high temperatures or allow to brown or smoke. Butter is allowed. Margarine should be avoided, not because of its carbohydrate content, but because it is usually made of trans fats (hydrogenated oils), which are a serious health hazard. (Some nonhydrogenated margarines are available in health-food stores.) You don't have to remove the skin and fat from meat or fowl. Salmon and other cold-water fish are an excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids. Remember that trying to do a low-fat version of the Atkins Nutritional ApproachTM will interfere with fat burning and derail your weight loss. Artificial Sweeteners You must determine which artificial sweeteners agree with you, but the following are allowed: sucralose (marketed as Splenda), saccharin, cyclamate and acesulfame-K. Natural sweeteners ending in the suffix "-ose," such as maltose, fructose, etc., should be avoided. However, certain sugar alcohols, such as maltitol, do not affect blood sugar and are acceptable. Saccharin has been extensively studied, and harmful effects were produced in the lab when fed to rats only in extremely high doses. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has removed saccharin from its list of carcinogens, basing its decision upon a thorough review of the medical literature and the National Institute of Science's statement that there is "no clear association between saccharin and human cancer." It can be safely consumed in moderation, meaning no more than three packets a day. Saccharin is marketed as Sweet'n Low. We discourage the use of aspartame (marketed as NutraSweet and Equal) because of clinical observations that it slows weight loss in certain individuals. The FDA has approved the herb stevia for use only as a supplement, not as a sweetener. The Atkins preference, however, is sucralose (Splenda), the only sweetener made from sugar. Sucralose is safe, noncaloric and does not raise blood sugar. It has been used in Canada for years, and the FDA recently approved it after reviewing more than 100 studies conducted over the past 20 years. Note that each packet of sugar substitute contains about 1 gram of carbohydrate, so don't forget to include the amount in your daily totals. Acceptable Beverages Be sure to drink a minimum of eight eight-ounce glasses of water each day, including: Filtered water Mineral water Spring water Tap water Additionally, you can have the following: Clear broth/bouillon (not all brands; read the label) Club soda Cream, heavy or light (limit to two to three tablespoons a day; note carbohydrate content) Decaffeinated coffee or tea* Diet soda made with sucralose (Splenda); be sure to count the carbs Essence-flavored seltzer (must say "no calories" and should not contain aspartame) Herb tea (without barley or any fruit sugar added) Lemon juice or lime juice (note that each contains 2.8 grams carbohydrate per ounce); limit to two to three tablespoons *Excessive caffeine may cause unstable blood sugar and should be avoided by those who suspect they are caffeine dependent. Everyone should try to avoid caffeine. Grain beverages (coffee substitutes) are not allowed. Alcoholic beverages are also not permitted during Induction; those low in carbohydrates are an option, in moderation, in later phases. Special Category Foods To add variety, each day you can also eat 10 to 20 olives, half a small avocado, an ounce of sour cream or three ounces of unsweetened heavy cream, as well as two to three tablespoons of lemon juice or lime juice. But be aware that these foods occasionally slow down weight loss in some people, and may need to be avoided in the first two weeks. If you seem to be losing slowly, moderate your intake of these foodsofcourse where it says pepper vinegar and such dont eat that like i stated in my first post

·
Registered
206 Posts
I have heard that low carb has helped people with ibs-d which is what I have and I have been thinking about giving it a try. However I would want to stay lowfat while on the low carb. Do you do that or just eat the high fat meats? Can you give me an example of the way you eat in a day?

·
Registered
312 Posts
you cannot eat low fat and low carb it will not work your body will have no energy thentrust me when i say this fat will no longer hurt your gut or your body in any way when you cut out the carbohydratesone of the things this diet does is switch your metabolism to a fat burning one and you need to eat high fat in a fat burning metabolism for energyalso the first week of the diet is the hardest part they call it the induction flu its not as bad as a flu but you wont feel in top shape because this is the first time your body is switching its metabolism it is only for the first week though then you will feel greatremember fat does nothing harmful to your body all the low fat things around the world is lies and myths only human made trans fats are bad for you all other fats are good for you even saturated fat cause when you cut out the carbs your body can handle and use fat and eating fat will not harm you in any way but infact will greatly help youa chicken egg is 61% fat , 37% protein ,1% carbsmothers breast milk is 50-57% fatfat is healthy to eateskimos eat up to 80% fat and they are all fit and very healthy and have no obesity or type 2 diabetes or anything of the suchin a day i would eatbreakfast 5-7 eggs with 1/10 a pound of unsalted butter and a little feta cheesesnack/lunch a steak with a little salted butter or grape seed oilafternoon lots of broccoli i like low fiber though so i cut the stems off add a bit of feta cheese to it cooked in 1/10 a pound of unsalted butter i just fry it under a lid and flip it once cook time 5 minsdinner chicken or turkey or more steakthese are just the basic foods later on when your stomach is healed and like your climbing the rungs theres rung 2 dairy which means you can add more sour cream and yogurt to your diet and see if you still lose weight or in this case still have a happy stomachrung 3 nuts/seedsrung 4 berriesrung 5 alcohal just skip this onerung 6 beans and such note do not eat any soy soy is toxic sept for fermented soy but no one eats that sept in japan and soy sauce in the western countries are not fermenteddont eat any soy lethian eitherinfo on soyhttp://www.soyonlineservice.co.nz/rung 7 fruitrung 8 starchy vegetables potatos/cornrung 9 whole grainsnote i belive most of you will reach rung 4 and that will be as far as we can go at first but dont worry there is tons of low carb recipes so we can 100% manage are IBS and still eat yummy foodlater on when your stomach is doing really good 6 months down the road you could try going up to Rung 7 but you need to be careful remember fruit has been alterd by man it is no longer the fruit are ancestors ate it now has much more sugar thats why berries are better for us they are still more naturalalso i cant eat seeds/nuts to much fiber but someone who suffers from constipation might like itand dont rush to rung 4 though start at inductionoh ya one thing i just rememberdred meat and meat in general really helps at repairing damaged stomachs however untill your stomach is healed eating any food will cause pain but not necessarily be damageing it but you still gotta eat meat even though it hurts your gut a little keep eating meat you need meat to repair your stomach and in a few months it will be doing alot better but it will be slow but you will notice things like no gas right away

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Well excuse me Ziggy.. but you will forgive my cynicism. You joined when?? Yesterday?? And you seem to know many IBS'ers who have been "cured" by these things.Well I am here to tell you each IBS'er is different and unique. What helps one of us doesn't always help another of us. For many of us.. our IBS symptoms have absolutely nothing to do with what we eat.. rather.. THAT we eat.Like I said... I am glad *you* found something to help *you* & thanks for sharing it. But please do not think that YOUR way is the ONLY way to manage IBS symptoms because.. simply.. that just isn't true. And to state so is misleading at the very least.BQ

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok i understandi hope everyone trys it atleast cause my IBS was so bad and this way of eating makes it like i dont have IBSeveryone on the atkins forums that had IBS said it cured there IBS thats why i said it cured other peoples as well as minethese types of things may be hard to discover for people with IBS because eating fatty meat and broccoli used to = impossible and horrible gas results if i didbut by just removeing the carbohydrates its mind blowing its like magic i can eat fatty meat and broccoli and now it = 100% good no problems what so ever

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
I'm glad for you and others but truly... this.. I'm sorry to say.. won't work for all of us. And as long as you can accept that.. great!All the bestBQ

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Ziggy your cure should be on a diet website not IBS!Maybe the fact you were severely overweight was your problem. If overweight your body has to work a lot harder to excrete the fats and unwanted foods hence lots of trips to the toilet.As BQ correctly said,with lots of us it's that we actually eat and not what we eat.Goodbye.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
ZiggyHalf the foods on your list would set half teh members of this site off. and it wouldent do any favours for gers sufferers either. glad it helped you, but to alot of ibsers, especially those who suffer from GCR high fat will only cause problems.CheersIan

·
Registered
908 Posts
Nice info ziggy. I have changed my diet to a low carb diet with many health fats and have been going much better. I have read trough some of your links (before you posted them) . Lots of good info in there.Many natural healing diet have much of the same info.Not everyone has the will power or drive to make drastic health/diet changes. Thanks for posting it and Good job!Pat

·
Registered
206 Posts
I will just have to watch the dairy part of it as far as milk, cheese and yogurt cause I am lactose intolerant. I have been able to do ok with some cheese and egg white, I can not eat yolks. I am sure I could work around this and at least give it a try for 2 weeks or so to see if I can tolerate it. I did do the Atkins yrs ago and my symptoms did ease up but I had heard bad things about high fat so I changed my diet. Thanks for all the info. Although this will not work for everyone it may work for some. Patman75 what type of low carb do you eat? The high fat or low fat or just do your own thing?

·
Registered
908 Posts
Patman75 what type of low carb do you eat? The high fat or low fat or just do your own thing?
Today I do my own thing but with roots in many healing programs.I started strictly low carb with lots of veggies with good fats for 3 months then I slowly started adding fruits and gluten free carbs.This is the diet I followed strictly for 3 months. http://www.healingnaturallybybee.com/Today I eat lots of veggies, 3-5 servings of good fats, 1-3 serving of complex carbs (glulten free grains) brown, wild rice, buckwheat, GF rolled oats, 2 serving fo fruits, 3-4 serving of meat. Nuts & fruits for snacks.I also follow food combining rules.I do take supplements, omega 3 fish oils, antioxidants (flavoids), calcium & meds at a reduced quantity.I soon will be trying RAW dairy products.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
"There is no evidence that digestion of food is different in those with IBS compared to those without IBS. Diet, food and eating do not cause IBS. However, muscles and nerves are over-reactive in IBS. This can cause the bowel to over-respond to stimuli. Even a normal event such as the act of eating itself, and not a particular food, may aggravate symptoms at times. Eating releases hormones that stimulate the gut."http://www.aboutibs.org/site/about-ibs/management/ibs-diet/

·
Registered
312 Posts
hi mrae you dont need to eat any dairy on this diet :(milk is way to high in carbs so you cant drink it anywayscheese and such you can avoid and still do the diet perfectlyalso i have heard of in rare cases people being allergic to eggs but if you can only eat the egg whites then dont bother eating eggs at all xDbut really though you should give egg yolks another chance when you get into the diet some foods that once caused great problems will now cause no problems what so ever when the carbs are cut outand guys you cant do a low carb, low fat, high protein diet you will get major health problems it is very dangerous to do that for any length of timeits gotta be high fat, medium protein, low carbi suppose you could slightly up your protein meat intake for awhile though if you have a damaged stomachmrae you said in the past you tried it and your symptoms got better but then you stoped because people said eating fat was bad well iv been on this diet for over 6 years and im doing great and everyone i know who does the diet has got way better colesterol and all around health is way better really eating fat only does good things for the body when you cut the carbs out but ofcourse avoid man made trans fats they are badalso it takes 6 months to get your colesterol levels really good so dont go checking them 2 weeks into the diet xDalso remember the first week is the hardest part of the diet as your body switches metabolismsyour metabolism would not even switch if you ate low fat xD

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
It seems to me that we have seen lots of info about success with Atkins and the South Beach Diet before. Low carbs seem to be a key, although I would have difficulty adding more meat fat to my diet. As most of us who have had success have figured out, nothing works for more than some percentage of us. You just don't know if it is you unless you try it out. Personal success, alone, does not predict anything for anyone. Still, congrats on getting past this, thanks for bringing it forward, and hopefully this will reach others for whom it may be beneficial.Mark

·
Registered
312 Posts
i find that liqud fat drippings from a roast that was cooked in the oven if i take that and fill a glass with it and drink it it will hurt my gut how ever this will hurt anyones gut your body cant absorb that much liquid fat at one sittingand no crock pot or over cooked meat. meat that has been cooked to much seems to upset my stomachbut i find the best type of fat to eat is fat on like ribeye steaks freshly cooked and egg yolks and olive oil , grape seed oil , chicken and turkey skin , fish skin etcred meat and meat in general will be hard on a damaged stomach it will cause discomfort at first however meat and fat is 100% needed in order to repair a damaged stomach so try cooking it fresh and maybe chewing it really good you gotta get that into your body to heal it it will cause less and less discomfort as your stomach gets more healthyalso a tip for helping to do the diet right is try and aim for a food % of 65%fat, 30%protein, 5%carbs the % dont have to be spot on thats just to try and aim for www.fitday.com can help you see your % also dont eat more than 20 carbohydrates in a day not counting fiber and 15 of the 20 carbohydrates must come from the acceptable vegetables listalso when you start this diet dont eat insain amounts of fiber to much can upset your stomach i like to keep mine as low as possible but people with constipation may enjoy some but really how much fiber comes down to personal choice i think but its hard to figure it out till your stomach is fully healedalso maybe you may need more protein meat to help a damaged stomach so you could try aiming for awhile at 60%fat, 35%protein, 5% carbsalso if you think them food % are hard to get you will be amazed at how easy it is a chicken egg is 61% fatand i hear what your saying Mark it may not work for everyone and you have difficulty adding more meat and fat to your diet im not ignoreing you with this reply xD im just giveing more of the advice that basically saved my life :(i could not handle much meat or fat in my diet when i ate high carbs in the past when my IBS was bad i could not even handle 1 bite of fatty meat or broccoli xD but when the carbs are cut out everything is 100% differentnow the only things that give me gas and such is potatos and bread the high carb stuff that i dont eat anymore

·
Registered
206 Posts
I am so set on what I eat that I find myself wanting to really give this a try but am scared it will make things worse. Did it make things worse for your d in the beginning? I thought maybe I could start out with Chicken and lower fat and gradually work my way up to adding in more fat rather than all at once.

·
Registered
312 Posts
well the start is the hardest part of the diet but i think the start of the diet is even easier than eating high carbohydrates though still the start of the diet is the hardest part of the diet and it will get better and better the longer you stay on ityou gotta eat high fat , medium protein , low carb in order to switch to a fat burning metabolismbut another way to tell if you are a fat burning metabolism is if you are in ketosishttp://www.biblelife.org/ketosis.htmyou can buy ketone testing strips and if they change any color at all it means your in ketosis note that dark colours just mean your dehydrated as well so any color change = your in ketosisalso bad breath = ketosis also know that ketosis symptoms are only temporary till your body adjusts the amount of ketones being produced and then they will stop spilling out of your urin and breathalso i heard from someone that the first few weeks your digestive system can feel odd when starting low carb before it gets good i guess it needs time to adapt for some peopleanyways if your really scared about eating fat then try this go 1 day eating low fat , medium protein , low carb then by the 2nd day start doing the diet high fat , medium protein , low carb by then the carbs should be out of your gut and the fat you eat wont bother you as muchyou dont have to drink liquid fat you can eat normal foods and get enough fat to do the diet you really should give chicken eggs a chance make sure the eggs are cooked i like scrambled with unsalted butter just dont eat them rawalso you can up your protein a little till your stomach is healthyremember your gut wont be healed overnight it takes time to heal but i think you will notice somethings right away like 90% less gas while the last 10% of gas is only from spazmatic intestines which will heal in timeand also with the 10% of gas you do have it will not smell as bad i know that doesnt make any sense but high carbohydrates cause foul smelling gasand remember with a damaged stomach any solid food you eat will be uncomfortable but it will slowly get better and better and you gotta eat meat for it to get better and not just things like lettuce

1 - 20 of 40 Posts