Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry to ask such a gross question - but I have had IBS for so long that I don't know what is even considered "normal" anymore and so I am constantly wondering.Should the stool be soft or hard? If it is a normal solid bm, should you really need to use toilet peper afterwards?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
I think that normal is not hard or soft. It is formed and a bit lumpy. Usually when it is going to the too soft side it will get smooth and snake-like.Usually after just about all BM's you will need to use TP. Alot will depend on how cleanly it drops off. Even if it is "normal" you could have a little bit left behind when it drops that would make things messier.K.------------------I have worked for the government and at universities doing scientific research primarily in the area of the environment and the impact of environmental factors on human health, I have never done any independant clinical testing for the pharmaceutical industry, nor have I ever worked for a drug company. I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial, natural, or any other product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html[This message has been edited by kmottus (edited 08-23-2001).]

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
I think that normal is not hard or soft. It is formed and a bit lumpy. Usually when it is going to the too soft side it will get smooth and snake-like.Usually after just about all BM's you will need to use TP. Alot will depend on how cleanly it drops off. Even if it is "normal" you could have a little bit left behind when it drops that would make things messier.K.------------------I have worked for the government and at universities doing scientific research primarily in the area of the environment and the impact of environmental factors on human health, I have never done any independant clinical testing for the pharmaceutical industry, nor have I ever worked for a drug company. I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial, natural, or any other product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html[This message has been edited by kmottus (edited 08-23-2001).]

G

·
heh, I know its a gross subject, but it still makes me laugh. I always thought that when I grown alittle older I wouldn't find poo and breaking wind funny, but here I am, 20 years old, and I still wet myself laughing if myself or someone nearby cracks a meaty fart.
ANyway.....back to the question (I may get alittle graphic). For me a normal BM is when the poo comes out without me having to pop a vein in my forehead. I'm an impatient pooper, if I'm in the loo more than 3 minutes without a lump I get disheartened and give up. There's a old poem my nan used to say to me when this happend:Here I sit,Broken hearted,to do a poo,yet only farted.heh....sorry
Before my troubles started I used to just get the urge....push...and that would be the end of it till the next poo. I was never very regular, and only used to go about once a week. Now though, I am going almost daily. I still get the urge to go, yet when it comes to doing the job, I find I cannot seem to push the poo out no matter how hard I try. It's as if there is one muscle that isn't relaxed, as if the sphincter is tensed so although I push....the turd isn't going anywhere. Normally left to own devices it'll make it's move in the end.Anyway, to cut this rather long (and slightly gross) story short, for me a normal BM is one that requires very little work, not too hard, but not a soft mushy "worm poo" that will take at least 5 wipes to ccome clean,Note: Sorry if anyone finds this post alittle graphic, I have had just one too many glasses of win after din dins, and am feeling just a little tipsey right now
As they say...sometimes laughter is the best medicine

G

·
heh, I know its a gross subject, but it still makes me laugh. I always thought that when I grown alittle older I wouldn't find poo and breaking wind funny, but here I am, 20 years old, and I still wet myself laughing if myself or someone nearby cracks a meaty fart.
ANyway.....back to the question (I may get alittle graphic). For me a normal BM is when the poo comes out without me having to pop a vein in my forehead. I'm an impatient pooper, if I'm in the loo more than 3 minutes without a lump I get disheartened and give up. There's a old poem my nan used to say to me when this happend:Here I sit,Broken hearted,to do a poo,yet only farted.heh....sorry
Before my troubles started I used to just get the urge....push...and that would be the end of it till the next poo. I was never very regular, and only used to go about once a week. Now though, I am going almost daily. I still get the urge to go, yet when it comes to doing the job, I find I cannot seem to push the poo out no matter how hard I try. It's as if there is one muscle that isn't relaxed, as if the sphincter is tensed so although I push....the turd isn't going anywhere. Normally left to own devices it'll make it's move in the end.Anyway, to cut this rather long (and slightly gross) story short, for me a normal BM is one that requires very little work, not too hard, but not a soft mushy "worm poo" that will take at least 5 wipes to ccome clean,Note: Sorry if anyone finds this post alittle graphic, I have had just one too many glasses of win after din dins, and am feeling just a little tipsey right now
As they say...sometimes laughter is the best medicine

G

·
I don't remember every having what the docs and manuals call a "normal BM". For me, it's either rabbity (I call it rocks) or very soft ropey clay. Nothing in between.A couple of my siblings have discussed this with me, and they have the same BM type, but don't have the grueling pain attacks I do. Then again, they're quite a few years younger than me, and haven't reached the age when mine got bad.

G

·
I don't remember every having what the docs and manuals call a "normal BM". For me, it's either rabbity (I call it rocks) or very soft ropey clay. Nothing in between.A couple of my siblings have discussed this with me, and they have the same BM type, but don't have the grueling pain attacks I do. Then again, they're quite a few years younger than me, and haven't reached the age when mine got bad.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
There's a booklet available from many chemists in the UK, 'Understanding your Bowels' by Doctor Ken Heaton, published by the British Medical Association. On page 8 it shows the 'Bristol Stool Form Scale' rating for bowel movements! The best is said to be type 4: 'like a sausage or snake, soft & smooth'.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
There's a booklet available from many chemists in the UK, 'Understanding your Bowels' by Doctor Ken Heaton, published by the British Medical Association. On page 8 it shows the 'Bristol Stool Form Scale' rating for bowel movements! The best is said to be type 4: 'like a sausage or snake, soft & smooth'.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thank you...you have just anwered one of my newly posted question's, ropey pooh, or snake like, bit's of stringy Pooh that hang and have to be pulled out. You have to make sure that you get it all, wipe very well and carefully, bit's can be left there. Gross subject, but let's face it this all has to be discussed if we are to help each other. Clay colored stool's, different smell..this is all part of this annoying disease. Often when I go to pee I will also find myself having a bowel movement and yet I did not have the urge to go, this can happen 5-6 time's a day. Travelling like this is a BIG burden.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thank you...you have just anwered one of my newly posted question's, ropey pooh, or snake like, bit's of stringy Pooh that hang and have to be pulled out. You have to make sure that you get it all, wipe very well and carefully, bit's can be left there. Gross subject, but let's face it this all has to be discussed if we are to help each other. Clay colored stool's, different smell..this is all part of this annoying disease. Often when I go to pee I will also find myself having a bowel movement and yet I did not have the urge to go, this can happen 5-6 time's a day. Travelling like this is a BIG burden.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.