Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
I am also looking into it. There are a couple of really good sites off of the response in one of the other forums. Hypnotherapy to my understanding is hypnosis to train the mind to minimilize an attack and the stress and anxiety that associated with it. I have had a hard time finding a licensed hynotherapist where I live but apparently there is a list of them somewhere!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I am also looking into it. There are a couple of really good sites off of the response in one of the other forums. Hypnotherapy to my understanding is hypnosis to train the mind to minimilize an attack and the stress and anxiety that associated with it. I have had a hard time finding a licensed hynotherapist where I live but apparently there is a list of them somewhere!

·
Registered
4,570 Posts
Hello Bowiegirl and R Thomas and Welcome!I would be most happy to help you - I came to this BB in 2000 and had very severe debilitating IBS, tried every Rx, OTC, diet and treatment there was with little to no help and was then encouraged by Eric and others on this BB to try clinical hypnotherapy for my IBS, and was greatly helped.Now I am the moderator of the CBT and Hypnotherapy Forum - please visit for more info: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php...&f=11&submit=Go And also on that forum is this info thread: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php...c;f=11;t=001868 Clinical hypnotherapy has been a proven method to help in the reduction of IBS symptoms, such as diarrhea attacks, urgency, constipation, alternation of both, as well as other related symptoms, and that anxiety of worry of getting attacks while traveling, etc.R Thomas, The West Hills GI Clinic/Hospital in Portland has an IBS support group - and Eric on this BB has lots of information about them. They also use the IBS Audio Program 100 developed by Michael Mahoney in England, which is a clinically trialed home hypnotherapy program replicates the same researched sessions used in the clinical setting. I have looked on the list for in-person therapists in your area, and there are none listed to my knowledge, in Portland for another similar IBS tested protocol.Clinical hypnotherapy works on the subconscious mind to break the mind-gut connection and help to eliminate symptoms as R Thomas mentions.Please feel free to visit the above forum for more information, as well as the link below, and also you may ask me for any other info re HT on the other forum, and if I can, I will be happy to help you.All the best ~ MarilynModerator of the CBT and Hypnotherapy Forum~ Helping Mike to help others ~www.ibsaudioprogram100.com

·
Registered
4,570 Posts
Hello Bowiegirl and R Thomas and Welcome!I would be most happy to help you - I came to this BB in 2000 and had very severe debilitating IBS, tried every Rx, OTC, diet and treatment there was with little to no help and was then encouraged by Eric and others on this BB to try clinical hypnotherapy for my IBS, and was greatly helped.Now I am the moderator of the CBT and Hypnotherapy Forum - please visit for more info: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php...&f=11&submit=Go And also on that forum is this info thread: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php...c;f=11;t=001868 Clinical hypnotherapy has been a proven method to help in the reduction of IBS symptoms, such as diarrhea attacks, urgency, constipation, alternation of both, as well as other related symptoms, and that anxiety of worry of getting attacks while traveling, etc.R Thomas, The West Hills GI Clinic/Hospital in Portland has an IBS support group - and Eric on this BB has lots of information about them. They also use the IBS Audio Program 100 developed by Michael Mahoney in England, which is a clinically trialed home hypnotherapy program replicates the same researched sessions used in the clinical setting. I have looked on the list for in-person therapists in your area, and there are none listed to my knowledge, in Portland for another similar IBS tested protocol.Clinical hypnotherapy works on the subconscious mind to break the mind-gut connection and help to eliminate symptoms as R Thomas mentions.Please feel free to visit the above forum for more information, as well as the link below, and also you may ask me for any other info re HT on the other forum, and if I can, I will be happy to help you.All the best ~ MarilynModerator of the CBT and Hypnotherapy Forum~ Helping Mike to help others ~www.ibsaudioprogram100.com

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
R Thomas,Actually, at this time The Portland Digestive Disease Research Center and West Hills Gastroenterology Association has postponed their support group for now. There is a schedule conflict with their current support facilitator.They are based at St Vincent's hospital in Beaverton. They have some excellent doctors up there, if you don't have a good GI Doctor, I highly recommend Dr koval or Dr Sleven. I believe they also have a trained Hypnotherapist on staff for IBS, although can't remember her name at the moment.I live just outside of Portland also and would be glad to help you out and talk to you, I also have many resources in P town. You can email mefalcon###webpotential.comyou can also check out my website for help.www.ibshealth.comand the West Hills GI Research site. They are a very big gi center. http://www.westhillsgiresearch.com/ These are the two doctors I recommend there, and both are top notch and are excellent with IBS.Rodger A. Sleven MDMedical School: University of California, San Francisco 1972-1976Internal Medicine Resident: Oregon Health Sciences University, Portland Oregon 1976-1979Chief Medicine Resident: St. Vincent Medical Center, Portland Oregon 1979-1980Gastroenterololgy Fellowship: Oregon Health Sciences University, Portland Oregon 1980-1982Board Certification: Gastroenterology / Internal MedicineAcademic Appointments: Clinical Associate Professor, Division of Gastroenterology, Oregon Health Sciences UniversityMedical Interests: Endoscopic Biliary Procedures, Inflammatory Bowel Disease, Irritable Bowel Syndrome, GI Tract Laser Therapy, Interventional Endoscopy, Acid-Peptic DiseaseGeorge Koval MDDirector of Portland Digestive Disease Research Center Medical School: University of Pittsburgh Medical School 1974-1978 Internal Medicine Residency: Michigan State Affiliated Hospital, Grand Rapids Michigan 1978-1982 Gastroenterololgy Oregon Health Science University 1982-1984 Board Certification: Gastroenterology / Internal Medicine Academic Appointments: Board Appointment Legacy Institutional Review Board, Portland Oregon 2000, Clinical Instructor Oregon Health Science University Medical Interests: Colon Cancer, Inflammatory Bowel Disease,Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Peptic Ulcer Disease

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
R Thomas,Actually, at this time The Portland Digestive Disease Research Center and West Hills Gastroenterology Association has postponed their support group for now. There is a schedule conflict with their current support facilitator.They are based at St Vincent's hospital in Beaverton. They have some excellent doctors up there, if you don't have a good GI Doctor, I highly recommend Dr koval or Dr Sleven. I believe they also have a trained Hypnotherapist on staff for IBS, although can't remember her name at the moment.I live just outside of Portland also and would be glad to help you out and talk to you, I also have many resources in P town. You can email mefalcon###webpotential.comyou can also check out my website for help.www.ibshealth.comand the West Hills GI Research site. They are a very big gi center. http://www.westhillsgiresearch.com/ These are the two doctors I recommend there, and both are top notch and are excellent with IBS.Rodger A. Sleven MDMedical School: University of California, San Francisco 1972-1976Internal Medicine Resident: Oregon Health Sciences University, Portland Oregon 1976-1979Chief Medicine Resident: St. Vincent Medical Center, Portland Oregon 1979-1980Gastroenterololgy Fellowship: Oregon Health Sciences University, Portland Oregon 1980-1982Board Certification: Gastroenterology / Internal MedicineAcademic Appointments: Clinical Associate Professor, Division of Gastroenterology, Oregon Health Sciences UniversityMedical Interests: Endoscopic Biliary Procedures, Inflammatory Bowel Disease, Irritable Bowel Syndrome, GI Tract Laser Therapy, Interventional Endoscopy, Acid-Peptic DiseaseGeorge Koval MDDirector of Portland Digestive Disease Research Center Medical School: University of Pittsburgh Medical School 1974-1978 Internal Medicine Residency: Michigan State Affiliated Hospital, Grand Rapids Michigan 1978-1982 Gastroenterololgy Oregon Health Science University 1982-1984 Board Certification: Gastroenterology / Internal Medicine Academic Appointments: Board Appointment Legacy Institutional Review Board, Portland Oregon 2000, Clinical Instructor Oregon Health Science University Medical Interests: Colon Cancer, Inflammatory Bowel Disease,Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Peptic Ulcer Disease

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.