Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hi all. Hope you are coping with the day.I have spent the last few years experimenting with my diet.... gluten free/lactose free etc.....But when I think about it, I always struggle with sauces... Anybody else have problems with the following types of food:- Gravy- Creamy Sauces- Wine based sauces- Curries- Bolognese sauce- Chinese 'salty/soda tasting' food (I always go no MSG)Any thoughts to the common ingredients? I even struggle on home made and low fat/light options............

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Well a lot of rich sauces cause problems because of the fat, and even a stir fry can be pretty greasy depending on how much oil they toss in when they cook it.The more fat in a meal, the bigger the gastro-colic reflex and the more active the colon is. That can cause more symptoms for a lot of IBSers.Also even if the sauce just means you eat larger portions (so a tasty but low fat sauce) than you do when it is plain that could cause a bigger gastro-colic reflex. With restaurant food there can be a problem as they tend to want to add more fat in (makes it tastier) as well as larger portions than most people will use at home, so a low fat sauce may be made up for by more oil used to cook the food, etc.Now for prepared sauces there could be something like high fructose corn syrup which is a problem for a lot of people who are fructose sensitive (although this would be a little later on than the gastro colic reflex)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.