Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Often you hear people with IBS saying they just want to be 'normal'.I know from my perspective that I would love to be able to just do 'normal' things without having to take my tummy into consideration... even just going out for a whole day without knowing in advance if there is a private bathroom I can use.But what is normal? I know I am now hypersensitive to twinges etc, but cannot recall if I had these 'before'.I would be interested if any of you can remember or know through talking to healthy people.....1) If after having a BM they can tell they have been. i.e. that kind of feeling that something has 'passed'. I wouldn't say it is soreness, but it can be uncomfortable. After a heavy movement, I sometimes still feel 'open'. Does this resonate with anybody?2) If they could have a BM at any time - even if they dont feel they need to go. I can go at any time of the day more or less, if I try. 3) How much stool do they produce. i.e. do they fill the water every time?4) After eating, do normal people get any 'bloating'. Can they tell have eaten, or does their stomach feel the same as it did before.Would be grateful for any feedback.....

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
1. I would say normal other than maybe feeling a bit of relief of fullness there should be no post going sensation.2. I suspect a lot of normal people could go if they really forced it as the rectum does fill up over time. IBSers tend to be more sensitive to low level of filling so may feel they should go when normal people feel nothing until they are pretty well full.3. Stool volume varies. Someone that eats a lot of fiber will have a lot of stool. I will say when stool is looser or softer and has more water in it that can add to the volume compared to harder drier stools.4. There are meals that will bloat any human being. However usually normal people only get that "I can't believe I ate the whole thing" feeling from a fairly large and fatty meal. IBSers get that feeling from meals too small or lean to bloat a normal person.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Thanks Kathleen. Guess I definitely have IBS.The bloating is particulalry troublesome. After I have eaten it is like my whole colon is 'inflated'. It isn't gas, I can tell the difference... its like its swollen. I try and get rid of it through a BM, which sometimes help, but often the pain is worse after.There is one other thing I would be interested in on the 'normal' perspective... When a normal person has a BM, do they have more than one 'motion' - or contractions - in order to pass the stool. I have around 8 or 9 during a BM. I am sure having a BM is encouraging peristalsis. I think this because the stools start solid and well formed, but then gradually soften and end almost as water......Thanks Kathleen. I have always appreciated your help.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Usually when I'm normal I tend to have things be more of a one or two shot than a time after time after time.But some depends on consistency and how dry and hard to pass the stool is vs soft and easy to pass.There is always a range.Usually it isn't that you have a BM and that makes the colon more active, but that the colon is more active and stays too active to long so instead of just delivering what is ready to the end, it keeps delivering more stool for longer that it should so some stool that hasn't had the exact perfect amount of water extracted gets to the end too soon.IBSers usually have problems at the times that make all normal human's colons more active.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Thanks Kathleen, that is very interesting.I am just completely puzzled by my situation. Generally, these days, I feel far worse after a BM.My entire colon starts rumbling, things start moving and I always feel like I could go again. Often now I give in to the urge and do go. The result is looser, small, stools. I then end up passing more of these small stools, (occassionally some larger ones work through), 2-3 more times during the day. I am always in pain. Patterns are varied though, sometimes I feel like I really need to go and don't. Sometimes the urge to go is mild and I end up having a heavy BM.Do you have any thoughts of anything I could try? I took some probiotics last week, but then I just ended up going heavily several times a day and feeling sick, (I only took it for 3 days!!!).

·
Registered
476 Posts
My understanding of probiotics is that it takes waaay longer to get long term benefits than 3 days.And you have to be prepared to go through the short term side effects to get to the long term benefits.I did it for 2 months and decided it wasn't something that gave me ANY benefit in the end, so gave up on it.BUT one never knows til one tries and gives it an honest shot.It is all trial and error in the end and usually ends up being a combo of several things.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.