Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Read lots of posts from people who have much relief from various meds (ie levsin, bentyl, remeron etc) and I have tried these but found no relief from my symptoms. So maybe I'm telling my doctor wrong and need to "revise" myself so I'm looking for information from you all ...When you say you are in pain or you have cramping - is it constant or is it your "signal" that you need to find a washroom NOW and then as soon as you eliminate, it's done?See, my pain is the latter kind. It "notifies" me that I need to find a washroom and then as soon as I have a BM or pass gas .. it's gone. For those of you who have this acute, spontaneous pain that, thankfully, is shortlived, what med do you use? how long did you have to take it before you saw relief? Have you tapered off in useage or are you planning on it?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
I get several kinds of pain.Some are assoicated with needing to go and some aren't. The ones that are not tend not to be relieved by going.If you primarily get the symptoms right before you need to go you may need to try taking either a time released or taking the antispasmodic regularly. Usually it does take some time for them to be in place and they often work better before the pain hits. Sometimes taking them before a known trigger helps more than waiting for the trigger to hit. K.------------------ kmottus###aol.com�When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won. There have been tyrants and murderers and for a time they seem invincible but in the end, they always fall�Think of it, ALWAYS. �Mahatma GandhiMy story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
I get several kinds of pain.Some are assoicated with needing to go and some aren't. The ones that are not tend not to be relieved by going.If you primarily get the symptoms right before you need to go you may need to try taking either a time released or taking the antispasmodic regularly. Usually it does take some time for them to be in place and they often work better before the pain hits. Sometimes taking them before a known trigger helps more than waiting for the trigger to hit. K.------------------ kmottus###aol.com�When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won. There have been tyrants and murderers and for a time they seem invincible but in the end, they always fall�Think of it, ALWAYS. �Mahatma GandhiMy story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
621 Posts
Lisa,I have cramping that is similar to yours. I get pain-which is my warning-and then once I "go", I am fine. HOWEVER! Most of the time, I get the pain again 10-15 minutes later and have to go again. This goes on for about 1-2 hours and then I am okay. This is not so much of a problem if I am at home or even at work but when I am out and about, it can really be awful. I really wish I could "go" and be done with it but for some reason, my tummy thinks differently
------------------How long a minute is, depends on what side of the bathroom door you're on...

·
Registered
621 Posts
Lisa,I have cramping that is similar to yours. I get pain-which is my warning-and then once I "go", I am fine. HOWEVER! Most of the time, I get the pain again 10-15 minutes later and have to go again. This goes on for about 1-2 hours and then I am okay. This is not so much of a problem if I am at home or even at work but when I am out and about, it can really be awful. I really wish I could "go" and be done with it but for some reason, my tummy thinks differently
------------------How long a minute is, depends on what side of the bathroom door you're on...

G

·
My pain is generally related to what I eat. I do not get relief from a BM nor from passing gas. It essentially feels like someone has stuck their hand inside my body and is squeezing as hard as they can. There is no relief, and it lasts for hours. I take Ultram, which is a fairly strong prescription painkiller. It only helps a little when I'm having a full on attack. Generally, if I catch it early and hit it with my PK, it subsides without ever getting really bad.

G

·
My pain is generally related to what I eat. I do not get relief from a BM nor from passing gas. It essentially feels like someone has stuck their hand inside my body and is squeezing as hard as they can. There is no relief, and it lasts for hours. I take Ultram, which is a fairly strong prescription painkiller. It only helps a little when I'm having a full on attack. Generally, if I catch it early and hit it with my PK, it subsides without ever getting really bad.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts