Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took an Immodium last week and was backed up for about 4 days, then when I finally had to go on Sunday, I went about 7 times!!!!!!!!!! I mean is this how Immodium works??
Then yesterday morning I went again but all day I had like the worst gas pains...it was the kind that just moves around in your intestines but doesn't have to come out and makes a lot of noise...lol Sorry fro being graphic but I'm wondering if anyone knows what I'm talking about and what to do to relieve the situation!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks

·
Registered
133 Posts
OH My goodness!!!!!! you must be in my head....i was wondering the same thing! Damn that immodium- before it used to do wonders for me and i wouldn't have any problems but as of lately i'll take it, my D will stop, i'll get backed up for about 3-4 days then EXPLODE
!!!!! Now i don't have that "comfort" to go to when i'm really bad cuz in the long run it just hurts even more! I've found that if you take accidopholus like 3 times a day with every meal that works pretty well, backs things up a little more (which i'd much rather have than D) but doesn't completley kill you a week later!

·
Registered
133 Posts
OH My goodness!!!!!! you must be in my head....i was wondering the same thing! Damn that immodium- before it used to do wonders for me and i wouldn't have any problems but as of lately i'll take it, my D will stop, i'll get backed up for about 3-4 days then EXPLODE
!!!!! Now i don't have that "comfort" to go to when i'm really bad cuz in the long run it just hurts even more! I've found that if you take accidopholus like 3 times a day with every meal that works pretty well, backs things up a little more (which i'd much rather have than D) but doesn't completley kill you a week later!

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
That's the rebound effect.I've found I'm much better taking enough Immodium to just slow things down, rather than stop them completely, and I'm much better in the long run. I do take the full-stoppage dose when the situation warrants it, but only rarely.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
That's the rebound effect.I've found I'm much better taking enough Immodium to just slow things down, rather than stop them completely, and I'm much better in the long run. I do take the full-stoppage dose when the situation warrants it, but only rarely.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've found Immodium (I buy store brands) to be a lifesaver, BUT... I find that if I exercise during the periods I'm taking it, everything remains normal; without exercise I feel really stopped up, and have to wait for the "explosion" before resuming a normal lifestyle.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've found Immodium (I buy store brands) to be a lifesaver, BUT... I find that if I exercise during the periods I'm taking it, everything remains normal; without exercise I feel really stopped up, and have to wait for the "explosion" before resuming a normal lifestyle.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I actually split the pills in half and take that for milder symptoms. If I know I have to go out soemwhere that I can't take any chance with, I'll take a whole pill. But then I'll be constipated for a few days and sometimes have some rebound as well. It is definitely not a perfect medication, but it can be a lifesaver!

·
Registered
256 Posts
I actually split the pills in half and take that for milder symptoms. If I know I have to go out soemwhere that I can't take any chance with, I'll take a whole pill. But then I'll be constipated for a few days and sometimes have some rebound as well. It is definitely not a perfect medication, but it can be a lifesaver!

·
Registered
546 Posts
it seems people react very differently to immodium just like any other medication.i take 2 a day and it keeps me pretty much on track. sometimes i get the surprise D anyway, and i take and extra one or two. its almost unheard of for me to have constipation. i never got constipated on lotronex even. (*sigh, oh lovely lotronex*)lately i've had more cramping and D despite my usual 2/immodium/day. i think i'm really stressing at work and i'm also not eating very healthy lately.jj

·
Registered
546 Posts
it seems people react very differently to immodium just like any other medication.i take 2 a day and it keeps me pretty much on track. sometimes i get the surprise D anyway, and i take and extra one or two. its almost unheard of for me to have constipation. i never got constipated on lotronex even. (*sigh, oh lovely lotronex*)lately i've had more cramping and D despite my usual 2/immodium/day. i think i'm really stressing at work and i'm also not eating very healthy lately.jj

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
It's perfectly fine to split the pills. The information on the box suggests half pill dosages in some instances. The pills are scored so they break easily. I take store-brand generics, and their pills are the size Immodium was years ago, before they started making the pills a lot smaller. You could even quarter these bigger pills. I take half-pills all the time in my efforts to take the lowest possible dosage. It used to be less effective on me, but after not taking it while I was on Lotronex, smaller doses were far more effective. My tolerance is growing again, but I'm trying to not overuse Immodium so the tolerance won't grow as quickly.So sometimes I take 1/2 pill, sometimes 1, sometimes 1 1/2, more, etc.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
It's perfectly fine to split the pills. The information on the box suggests half pill dosages in some instances. The pills are scored so they break easily. I take store-brand generics, and their pills are the size Immodium was years ago, before they started making the pills a lot smaller. You could even quarter these bigger pills. I take half-pills all the time in my efforts to take the lowest possible dosage. It used to be less effective on me, but after not taking it while I was on Lotronex, smaller doses were far more effective. My tolerance is growing again, but I'm trying to not overuse Immodium so the tolerance won't grow as quickly.So sometimes I take 1/2 pill, sometimes 1, sometimes 1 1/2, more, etc.

·
Registered
59 Posts
im just wondering if ppl on meds for D are only taking them when they have to go places or even when just sitting at home? i'm just wondering b/c i know most drugs you can get a tolerance for and they dont work or you need tons of it especially with ibs meds

·
Registered
59 Posts
im just wondering if ppl on meds for D are only taking them when they have to go places or even when just sitting at home? i'm just wondering b/c i know most drugs you can get a tolerance for and they dont work or you need tons of it especially with ibs meds

G

·
I'm a 16 year old male with IBS, I take 2 Imodiums before I go somewhere. But sometime I get the rebound later on. Are there any alternatives.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.