Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately a strange new symptom has been added to my regular IBS-C pains and complaints:I sometimes (usually sometime after eating) get a feeling of pressure in my throat and have troubles breathing!I have been checked for asthma and nearly all food alergies and don't have any.What might explain this new troublesome symptom?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
The esophagus can have functional GI problems just like any other part of the GI tract. I would think that eating would be the times that tend to set it offGERD (which isn't functional but effects the esophagus) can sometimes cause coughing or breathing problems as the food tube and the air tube are right up against each other so sometimes when one gets funny it effects the other one (or any shared nerves they may have).Not sure if either of these match what you are experiencing (and pressure could be counting as pain even if you don't feel it as painful)
Globus a sensation of a lump, something stuck, or a tightness in the throat Functional chest pain the feeling of chest pain, presumably of esophageal origin (can be confused with cardiac pain which must be examined) http://www.iffgd.org/site/gi-disorders/adu...al-gi-disorders
The only other thought is if you tend to get anxious after eating because you are fearing/worrying about what symptoms you might get that could also cause some sensations in the chest or throat.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
A specific food isn't necessarily the trigger for any functional disorder. Often the problem is your body reacts to every single meal because it has to do things during/after a meal it doesn't do all the time.Everyone wants all these functional things to be a matter of avoiding a couple of foods and usually the food just gets the blame for the body reacting to the ACT of eating. http://www.nexiumresearch.com/globus_pharyngis.html has some treatments for globus.Functional chest pain looks like about all they can do for that is antidepressants to even out the nerves response to things.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts