Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering what everyone calls diarrhea..???My definiton is... frequent watery stools... in excess of 3 or more per day...Do you go by the number you have in a day.. and or the consistency..???If I have three or four formed stools a day... I do not consider that diarrhea... I call that frequent stools... If I have a combination of formed and some loose...of say 3 times.. I do not consider that diarrhea.. If I have 4+ loose watery stools... then I do...consider that diarrhea...

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's what I was wondering AO... as of late I have been hearing professionals refer to the number of stools... per day.... where it used to be the consistency as well as the number of them...as when I was in school..

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Looking at a few on-line medical definitions they tend to use "or" rather than "and" when they talk about consistancy and frequency.I think it is they include a range of things in diarrhea just like constipation (which is infrequent or hard to pass stools).Maybe there should be four words rather than two, but we've got the two.Up to 3X a day is normal, so if the consistancy is OK that wouldn't be diarrhea, but some people will have more normal consistancy BM's than that (I think that is a rectal hypersensitivity issue, that is kind of like overactive bladder, the gotta-go signal comes when it is just a little bit full rather than only happening when it really is full).K.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.