Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Soda (pop) is not something you should be drinking at all. If I do feel a absolutely need to drink it, only drink the lite colored pop like sprite of 7up. Stay away from the dark colored pop. It will do far less damage and you will get less of a reaction. Iced Tea also will bring on bouts of GERD, especially if you use fresh lemons in the tea. The tea is loaded with cafine, and of course the cafine loosens the esoph/stomach muscle which in turn allows the stomach acids to reflux (bringing on GERD). I also love to drink Iced Tea especially during the summer months. Even when I order in resturants. I don't really like cola (pop), it tends to thicken my saliva and make me even more thrusty. I am supposed to drink 8 - 8fl oz glasses of water each day, don't like plain water because it gets my stomach acids going so what I always have on hand is watered down presweetened Kool-Aid (cherry flavored). Just enough Kool-Aid to take the taste of water away, but enough flavor so I don't feel like I am drinking plain water. I always keep a big jug on hand. Don't use ice either, I find this to quench my thirst yet not upset my stomach at all. Pop with the cafine and the carbonation plays with my belly and just does not sit right with me. I, if I make iced tea will use a Camomeal (not spelt right) non-cafine and will set the jar out in the sun for suntea. This makes a very nice mixture, subtle, not over powering and in the summer instead of using lemon or even sugar I take fresh mint out of my garden and place in my glass. It adds a nice flavor and does not upset my stomach.

G

·
My favorite drink is Baskin Robbins "Fruit Smoothie" and I drink that all year around !I love to drink sweet Ice Tea but I can never make it taste like everyone else's ! (Shooney's is good}.......

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
I'm hooked on Gatorade
Esp. the purple flavor. Ummmmmmm.......Ty

·
Registered
29 Posts
This isn't an everday drink but as summer adult beverages go it is cold and refreshing. If citrus or orange juice is a trigger for you don't try this. In a blender add 1 6oz can of orange juice concentrate, 1 - 6oz can of limeaid concentrate, use the orange juice can to add 1 can of water and 1 can of rum. Fill the blender the rest of the way with ice and blend till smooth. This drink is COLD! It will give you an instant "icecream headache" but it is soooo good. If I drink more than about 12 oz of this concoction I get a gut ache, I think from the acid in the juice. But other than that it doesn't bother my IBS Enjoy Sig/Firth

G

·
I am only 14 and to say no pop is like saying don't move! Now that doesn't mean that I have pop all the time! Not at all. But every once in a while I have to sneak a pop, and as long as I don't have too much the symtoms are berable. My favorite summer drink is iced tea or water. Yes I heard that u said iced tea can bring on GERD(by the way what is GRED?) but I haven't realy noticed anything different. Of Caurse I haven't had iced tea in a while. But about the pop and things every once in a while you have to sneak a little to feel human or "normal"!
By the way~HAPPY 4TH OF JULY!~

G

·
About two years ago I gave up coke as my staple drink after suspecting it was a trigger.Moved onto plain sparkling mineral water. (Perrier out of choice cos I'm obviously a victim of marketing). It's weird I couldn't stand fizzy water as a kid, now I can't imagine anything more refreshing. Kind on the stomach too. I know I can't blame any bouts of IBS on that....

G

·
I'm a water drinker, bottled, tap whatever. I find soda to be a trigger most of the time so tend to avoid cokes. Unless...Gentleman Jack and Coke, yum. But mainly a water drinker.I am a southerner so iced tea is a staple beverage in the south...Luzianne brand decaf is absolutely the best and doesn't bother me. I shy away from fresh lemon though, occasionally using it.Happy 4th of July!

·
Registered
674 Posts
Iced tea with lemons is one of my favs...but when I was a little girl, we would visit my grandmother and on hot days she would give us ice cold "fizzies"...*L* It's orange juice mixed with Fresca pop...or if Fresca can't be found, 7up can be used. Mix it half and half. Crushed ice on top...yummy! I can handle that much orange juice without stomach pains, but if I drink a whole glass of straight juice, it kills me.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Of course, you all know by now my fav is slurpees! BAD for me! So, when I'm out anywhere, I always have iced tea. Found this to not bother me at all. Even though I knowingly "risk" another kidney stone because of this - I was told that probably caused my last one! But, I'd "rather" have one kidney stone once every few years than have explosive "D" all the time!

·
Registered
456 Posts
I take a about 1/4 glass of juice add ice and fill the glass with selzer very refreshing and not too much juice to make it rough on the stomach. I walked to a parade yesterday a few blocks from my house and guess what there was a man selling slurpees I had never seen them before. He seemed to be doing a booming business. I didn't stay because it was too hot. I toyed with getting a slurpee but remembered anxious's reaction and decided since I was walking it wasn't a good idea and I had to go to work so I didn't------------------�� wherever you go there you are

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Runny Girl - I see you pulled this thread out of the archives. I thought it dissapeared a long time ago. I would assume that if you purchase the 12 pack then you are drinking the presweatened iced tea - sorry but YUK!! Can't stand those sweateners they use. I always ask in restaurants if the iced tea is presweetened, will not order it if it is, rather drink ice water with lemon in it if nothing else.Sig - if I drank that mixture I would have enough acid to burn a large hole in the hood of my car, would kick up my GERD so badly that I think I would die!! not to mention what the rum would do to me.Scared - I would assume that everyone will have a pop here and there no matter what their age is. I do drink coke sometimes but it is very heavily carbonated and actually burns my esophogus going down. Pepsi stinks because it is too darn sweat. By the way, GERD - stands for GastroEsophoguel Reflux Desease. This is when the muscle at the end of the esophogus does not remain closed and allows the stomach acids to flow back up the esophogus thus burning it. Your stomach as you know is protected by a lining of mucus which protects the stomach lining from the burning effect of your stomach acids. If that muscle does not close all the way the stomach acids flow back up the esophogus and burns the esophogus because the esophogus has no protective lining on it.Mamareneau if i drink water i get nothing but acid reflux. I find that water has nothing for my stomach acids to breakdown so it just keeps producing stomach acid thus causeing more reflux, this is why I add Kool-aid to the water.Anxious if I drank slurpees I would go into outerspace with a sugar attack. I have had them before but find they are made mainly to please a kid's pallet of sweetness intake. Way too sweet for me. I will stick with iced tea of Kool-aid.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.