Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... your stool is very slimy and REEKS like suntan lotion? And I mean STRONG suntan lotion. There's NOTHING I can think of that I ate that even comes CLOSE to what may have created that smell... And I don't have any suntan lotion in my house...I have noticed that when I pass gas, it smells a TINY bit sulfer-ish... but REALLY sweet.Does anyone know what this is? I've had bad attacks over the last few weeks, and I'm wondering if this is something more...

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Slime is mucus and mucus is normally produced all the time by the GI tract. Sometimes it will produce more and excess production of mucus seems to be fairly common among IBSers. After all the GI tract only has so many responses when it is "irritable" or irritated and mucus production is one of them.Smells arise also from the breakdown of things like fatty acids and other componants of food. Some of the breakdown products do not smell like the intial thing they were derived from.K.------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Slime is mucus and mucus is normally produced all the time by the GI tract. Sometimes it will produce more and excess production of mucus seems to be fairly common among IBSers. After all the GI tract only has so many responses when it is "irritable" or irritated and mucus production is one of them.Smells arise also from the breakdown of things like fatty acids and other componants of food. Some of the breakdown products do not smell like the intial thing they were derived from.K.------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:Get a stool culture first before assuming anything
For just flatus odor? What do you expect is growing there? Flowers?
quote:I have noticed that when I pass gas, it smells a TINY bit sulfer-ish... but REALLY sweet.Does anyone know what this is?
Most likely, it is dimethyl sulfide.------------------I am not a doctor, nor do I work for profit in the medical/pharmacological field, but I have read scientific and medical texts, and have access to numerous sources of medical information that are not readily available to others. One should always consult a medical professional regarding advice received.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:Get a stool culture first before assuming anything
For just flatus odor? What do you expect is growing there? Flowers?
quote:I have noticed that when I pass gas, it smells a TINY bit sulfer-ish... but REALLY sweet.Does anyone know what this is?
Most likely, it is dimethyl sulfide.------------------I am not a doctor, nor do I work for profit in the medical/pharmacological field, but I have read scientific and medical texts, and have access to numerous sources of medical information that are not readily available to others. One should always consult a medical professional regarding advice received.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Flux: The stool test was to determine the slime, not odor. The texture is really gross. Not the average stool.And the smell isn't sulfer... Or it doesn't smell like sulpher.And to paraphrase what you said... it DOES smell more like flowers than sulpher. I was wondering what that great smell was, until I realized it was my stool. Then I just got grossed out and wondered why my stool would smell like a beach.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Flux: The stool test was to determine the slime, not odor. The texture is really gross. Not the average stool.And the smell isn't sulfer... Or it doesn't smell like sulpher.And to paraphrase what you said... it DOES smell more like flowers than sulpher. I was wondering what that great smell was, until I realized it was my stool. Then I just got grossed out and wondered why my stool would smell like a beach.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:it DOES smell more like flowers than sulpher
Doesn't change my guess for its being dimethyl sulfide.------------------I am not a doctor, nor do I work for profit in the medical/pharmacological field, but I have read scientific and medical texts, and have access to numerous sources of medical information that are not readily available to others. One should always consult a medical professional regarding advice received.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:it DOES smell more like flowers than sulpher
Doesn't change my guess for its being dimethyl sulfide.------------------I am not a doctor, nor do I work for profit in the medical/pharmacological field, but I have read scientific and medical texts, and have access to numerous sources of medical information that are not readily available to others. One should always consult a medical professional regarding advice received.

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
Quote: ___________________________________For just flatus odor? What do you expect is growing there? Flowers? ___________________________________Please read the described symptom Set Again. Since this is likley not the entire symptom set, you might query for other symptoms and recommend a proper differential diagnosis to people, rather than " a guess...".I will be sure to be more specific about this advice in the future.If botanical contaminants were suspected, other tests would have been recommended. But this is an unlikely etiology.TO SPIRIT: For what you described See a Doctor, not a Board. Get a proper differential diagnosis done. This is what I meant, not see a florist.Eat well. Think well. Be well.MNL_______________ www.leapallergy.com [This message has been edited by Mike NoLomotil (edited 08-02-2001).]

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
Quote: ___________________________________For just flatus odor? What do you expect is growing there? Flowers? ___________________________________Please read the described symptom Set Again. Since this is likley not the entire symptom set, you might query for other symptoms and recommend a proper differential diagnosis to people, rather than " a guess...".I will be sure to be more specific about this advice in the future.If botanical contaminants were suspected, other tests would have been recommended. But this is an unlikely etiology.TO SPIRIT: For what you described See a Doctor, not a Board. Get a proper differential diagnosis done. This is what I meant, not see a florist.Eat well. Think well. Be well.MNL_______________ www.leapallergy.com [This message has been edited by Mike NoLomotil (edited 08-02-2001).]

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
In order for something to have an odor gasses must be released from it. Usually gas in the intestines is flatus, whether it is released just as a gas or part of a bowel movement or from the stool probably doesn't change the designation. Stools with no flatus in them wouldn't smell as there would be no gasses to get from the stool to the nose.Just because a compound has sulfur in it doesn't mean the only smell associated with it is sulfur. The stench can have sweet parts to it as well.K.------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
In order for something to have an odor gasses must be released from it. Usually gas in the intestines is flatus, whether it is released just as a gas or part of a bowel movement or from the stool probably doesn't change the designation. Stools with no flatus in them wouldn't smell as there would be no gasses to get from the stool to the nose.Just because a compound has sulfur in it doesn't mean the only smell associated with it is sulfur. The stench can have sweet parts to it as well.K.------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
255 Posts
For proper diagnosis, see your doctor-yes. Provided there is not a medical problem causing it, I wish I had a "floral" or "beach" scent. No more air fresheners to buy! Seriously, I hope you find the answers you're looking for.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.